Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key identity questions

Benjamin163

May 3, 2021
London
Hello,
My missus and I both drive our model 3.
I haven't figured out how to make it work so that the car knows who is driving and who isn't.
The main issue being that when someone rings me when my missus is driving, the call connects via the car.
This seems a little dangerous as I would hope the driver's phone is automatically hooked up to the bluetooth.
At the moment we need to manually tell the car which phone we want to be hooked up. No biggie but I would have thought there was a way for the car to know.
It also affects the seat configuration when we get in the car. I can't quite work out how to let the car know it's me getting in at the driver's side. Again it's no massive problem as I can just hit the bit on the screen that turns it from her to me to easy entry. But I just wondered what the car chooses when we're both in the car and why.
Any help gratefully received.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Have you tried setting either of your phones as the "Priority Bluetooth Device" ?

As I understand it, and I could be mistaken, I think the car will default to the profile of whoever is at the passenger door (because it's an American car). I don't know if Priority Bluetooth Device fixes that or not.

DigbyChicken

Apr 7, 2021
Yeovil, Somerset
Have you tried setting either of your phones as the "Priority Bluetooth Device" ?

As I understand it, and I could be mistaken, I think the car will default to the profile of whoever is at the passenger door (because it's an American car). I don't know if Priority Bluetooth Device fixes that or not.
I don't think the Bluetooth thing makes a difference - proximity to the driver's seat is indeed all-important, at least as far as selected driver profile goes. My phone's the only one set up as a Bluetooth device (my wife's 'just' functions as a key), and if she's in the passenger seat, the Tesla still seems to think she's driving and tries its best to impale me on the steering wheel. Most of the time, I remember to manually select the right profile now if we're both in the car, as it seems the only solution for RHD Model 3s currently.

Benjamin163

May 3, 2021
London

I

Thanks for the reply, I think you might be right. I'll try 'priority bluetooth' but I guess it's the same problem as we have to change it each time one of us is driving. I was hoping it might be a bit more intuitive than this but maybe they can fix it.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC