Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KEY in MX & other ?'s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can we leave as a habit The Key in the car? i have always done it in my MB & hubs does in his
just wondering...
also if we leave it for 5-6 days unplugged whilst we are out of town is there any problem?

i also thought i could set a on/off charge schedule ...is it on the screen ? bought Stats for Tesla..sorry i did.
Tesla app is just as good & the app was $20

i'm planning to not chg every day unless a trip to city etc..i usually drive less than 15 mi a day
i'm also thinking 80/90% which do you experienced peeps think
thanks in advance for any feedback! appreciate!!

also a non related car ?...how can i add my car specs to bottom of my memos to forum? i tried on the status update page, but it is not showing up:/

• Helpful
Reactions: SaniDel
Don't leave the key in the car. It will drain the fob battery, and, I think, the car battery as well.

As long as it is charged up, it will be fine to leave unplugged for that long, but we always plug ours in. My husband can charge once a week, but I haul kids constantly it seems, so I usually plug in any time I am at home. We usually keep our batteries at 80% unless we know we are going on a trip and will need the range.

I have no idea about a schedule, and I have no idea how to put the specs in. :)

just when we were beginning to like your questions, .......you want to do something crazy.

yes, you can leave your fob in the car. But it disqualifies you from asking us for help later when you encounter the consequences.

car spec? Its your "signature" under your profile You can gain access to your profile page using the icon to the left of the Message icon in the top right corner of any forum page. You can add a cute jpg nearly any of your choice under Avatar

:)

You can leave the keys in the car as long as you leave it in the dead spot that’s located in your trunk. There’s a spot in the rear trunk that is a dead zone meaning the car can’t read the key. Tesla service leaves the key in car for people to pick up their car using their phone all the time like this

Don't leave the key in the car. It will drain the fob battery, and, I think, the car battery as well.

As long as it is charged up, it will be fine to leave unplugged for that long, but we always plug ours in. My husband can charge once a week, but I haul kids constantly it seems, so I usually plug in any time I am at home. We usually keep our batteries at 80% unless we know we are going on a trip and will need the range.

I have no idea about a schedule, and I have no idea how to put the specs in. :)
thanks i appreciate you sharing what you know

Reactions: Mrcook4590
just when we were beginning to like your questions, .......you want to do something crazy.

yes, you can leave your fob in the car. But it disqualifies you from asking us for help later when you encounter the consequences.

car spec? Its your "signature" under your profile You can gain access to your profile page using the icon to the left of the Message icon in the top right corner of any forum page. You can add a cute jpg nearly any of your choice under Avatar

:)
thanks a bunch and for the giggles also

You can leave the keys in the car as long as you leave it in the dead spot that’s located in your trunk. There’s a spot in the rear trunk that is a dead zone meaning the car can’t read the key. Tesla service leaves the key in car for people to pick up their car using their phone all the time like this

Now that's interesting, beast53568! There is a "Faraday cage" on the inside of the vehicle?

Faraday cage - Wikipedia

IIUC ... the vehicle when locked will not be able to communicate with the key even though it is inside the vehicle. For all intents and purposes, that would be the same as locking the car and taking the key "far away" but will the vehicle keep "looking for" for the key if Passive Entry is enabled? Not that it will find the key, but that will continue to drain power, right? Perhaps Passive Entry should be disabled for the duration?

Access to the car with the key locked inside in the Faraday cage is via the Tesla app? Makes sense ... the vehicle detects no key so how could it be unlocked otherwise?

can we leave as a habit The Key in the car? i have always done it in my MB & hubs does in his
just wondering...

Very interesting, jerseygirl18! You must rely on "physical security" to protect your vehicles, e.g., a locked garage. Otherwise, anyone could jump into your vehicles and drive off, right?

Presumably .. you don't ... and probably can't lock your vehicles with the key(s) in your car(s). Our M-B won't allow that and complains loudly if we try ... so we don't.

beast53568 found a loophole so you can have your cake and eat it too, but only with your Tesla. Drop the key in the location where the vehicle "can't find it" and lock your car with your 'Phone. Use your 'Phone to unlock when you return, retrieve your key, drive away and reverse the process when you return.

Sounds like a lot of trouble ... better keep it in the garage!

Very interesting, jerseygirl18! You must rely on "physical security" to protect your vehicles, e.g., a locked garage. Otherwise, anyone could jump into your vehicles and drive off, right?

Presumably .. you don't ... and probably can't lock your vehicles with the key(s) in your car(s). Our M-B won't allow that and complains loudly if we try ... so we don't.

beast53568 found a loophole so you can have your cake and eat it too, but only with your Tesla. Drop the key in the location where the vehicle "can't find it" and lock your car with your 'Phone. Use your 'Phone to unlock when you return, retrieve your key, drive away and reverse the process when you return.

Sounds like a lot of trouble ... better keep it in the garage!
actually we always kept in car when we finished using it for the day..we weren't too irresponsible...it is a convenience issue for us

Reactions: SaniDel
any info one this question??

just got my new magical MX and see this very small green indicator that to me seems like it is downloading the new update...i arranged to be on the Advanced option for getting software updates...my wifi signal is 2 little arches..car is in my garage my home wifi network.

i charged last nite..i know it does not download whilst chrging...but it's mid afternoon..not much has changed..still little green dot with a long long way to go on the path it is displaying.

I can't seem to find out much more ...any insight would be much appreciated
thanks in advance (2019.15.106.1) that's where i a.m. now

jerseygirl18, there's another trick you can use to make sure you X does not see the fob inside the car. Buy a tin of Altoids breath mints (I am confident you don't need them, so give each away, - save the tin). It makes a great portable Faraday cage. Simple, cheap easy to replace. Who would think to look in the box for your fob? (Another Tesla owner, helping him self to your for what I am sure is simply a test drive.)

There was a thread on the Tesla forum a year or two ago about an owner that lost his fob in the car. I don't remember the outcome, but he had a wonderful adventure looking for it. I'll see if I can find the thread, - not his fob.

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcook4590
any info one this question??

just got my new magical MX and see this very small green indicator that to me seems like it is downloading the new update...i arranged to be on the Advanced option for getting software updates...my wifi signal is 2 little arches..car is in my garage my home wifi network.

i charged last nite..i know it does not download whilst chrging...but it's mid afternoon..not much has changed..still little green dot with a long long way to go on the path it is displaying.

I can't seem to find out much more ...any insight would be much appreciated
thanks in advance (2019.15.106.1) that's where i a.m. now
happy to say..i got some great info today from a member who suggested i reboot the system i did & green light gone!
Thank you
i would like to suggest youtube needs some new UPDATED vids describing working with 2019 Teslas. Model X would be awesome!!