TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Key is not in the car?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by rjdoc74, Jul 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

So I was out with my family today. Came back to the car, loaded family, stroller, baby, etc. Got into driver seat. All of the sudden green framed message comes on "Key is not in the car". The car is off and won't start. I did a steering wheel reset. Still off. Opened/closed driver door. Still nothing. After about 2 more minutes, the car finally turned on (not sure what I did to finally make that happen). Is my battery low (I though I'd receive "battery low" warning or something)? Has anyone seen this? TIA!

2. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

One possibility is the battery in your fob is low enough that the car couldn't sense it. This happened once to me on my S, and a few times on other ICE cars that are no longer in the picture. On the S you can put the fob in the cupholder, I don't know about the X. To unlock the car with a dead fob you can place the fob just below the VIN on the windshield (again, that's how it is, or used to be!! on the S). If you have an iPhone, you can also unlock and start the car from the Tesla app, if you forget your fob or have fob problems.

• Like x 1
  3. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thanks. I ordered replacement battery and will change it asap. I've read on tesla forums that this sometimes happens after new software update which I just had 2 days ago.

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

These use the standard 3032 batteries that are available almost anywhere batteries are sold. Use a table knife or some such to pry off large end of fob cover. Not hard. Some Tesla stores or service centers will replace them while you watch, for free, but I have found that doing it one's self is the best option. I'd hate to have my fob go dead when I could just replace the battery in a minute.

5. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thanks. Its actually CR2354 for MX.

• Like x 1
  6. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

This is a reasonably common occurrence and not often due to updates. Root causing it, there is a reasonable correlation between rfid tags in same pocket/purse as the key fob. They do break occasionally, though very few relatively reported as broken.

More here: FOB Question - does it work from your pocket? and FOB dead after 1 week. Where is the RFID unlock actually located?

Also, the battery for Model S is a CR2032, and as mentioned CR2354 for X - good to have some spares anyway, though try other fob first.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Good info. Thank you.

• Like x 1
  8. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

Interference from a cell phone, if in the same pocket as your FOB, can also cause this.

• Like x 1
  9. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

^ this

This happens to me fairly frequently, as I sometimes accidentally put my fob in the inside pocket of my purse, next to the outside pocket where I keep my phone.