Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

key not detected unable to restart after this drive without key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a clue what this screen message means?

It appeared after unlocking the new Model Y with a validated key card and driving away.
The message stayed for the entire 30 minute drive.
The key card was used to successfully lock and unlock the car for the drive home.

Attachments

• 3A05984F-44D7-4933-A66E-6FE61759DD17.jpeg
    3A05984F-44D7-4933-A66E-6FE61759DD17.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 363
I'll assume you aren't using your phone as a key. This probably happened because you didn't leave the keycard on the center console where it gets detected by the car to start it. If you use your phone as a key, it will remain connected as long as you are within bluetooth range; otherwise, if you use the keycard, you will see this warning unless you keep the key on the center console behind the cupholders.

Does anyone else find it odd that you're just supposed to lay it on the console? It just seems like it would slip off, or fall on the floor or something. Maybe you're really supposed to use the phone and not the key card

I wonder why the didn't include something more ...positive to hold the card

Reactions: Deutsch100
Does anyone else find it odd that you're just supposed to lay it on the console? It just seems like it would slip off, or fall on the floor or something. Maybe you're really supposed to use the phone and not the key card

I wonder why the didn't include something more ...positive to hold the card

The key doesn't need to be there again until the next time you want to go from Park into Drive. You can just start the car and put the key back in your pocket.

Funny you should inquire about this as I've gotten an error message: "Kay card not detected." This has happened a number of times recently after it asking for the key card, putting it on the console then driving off. Thinking that I may have a defective card I scheduled a tech visit yesterday.

It turns out that if you have 2 phones on and the car detects one that is at home when you leave you get this message because it's lost its connection to that specific phone key. Odd, eh? In any event, the car picks up the phone key you have with you the next time you fire it up. So not to worry about it, just a small bug in the software that won't leave you stranded (as I had worried).

Funny you should inquire about this as I've gotten an error message: "Kay card not detected." This has happened a number of times recently after it asking for the key card, putting it on the console then driving off. Thinking that I may have a defective card I scheduled a tech visit yesterday.

It turns out that if you have 2 phones on and the car detects one that is at home when you leave you get this message because it's lost its connection to that specific phone key. Odd, eh? In any event, the car picks up the phone key you have with you the next time you fire it up. So not to worry about it, just a small bug in the software that won't leave you stranded (as I had worried).
If my wife is using a card and not a phone and gets the message because I'm at home with the phone, will the card continue to work when she's away? Thanks

If my wife is using a card and not a phone and gets the message because I'm at home with the phone, will the card continue to work when she's away? Thanks
She will be fine.

notes -
- unlock with the card, must lock with the card (or app). Will not walk away auto lock.
- unlock with card, have 2 min to “start” (foot in brake). If not, will NEC to touch card to center console.

She shouldn’t get the message unless the car unlocked with the phone (or phone was very close) and the phone was left at home.