Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key not in car warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So wondering if anyone has had this happen, after 45 minutes being parked my wife and I walked up to the car and nothing happened. She had her key and I had mine, tried to open the door pressing on the door handle and nothing. Finally clicked on the key fob and door opened, got in the car and after everything came alive it said on the dash "Key not in car while not drive". It went into reverse and we drove off while all the time the key not in car was on the dash and after 1000 feet it went off.

I have seen that before, not usually for that long though. I asked the SC about it this morning. He said that the sensors for the keys are in the mirrors and the center console. (this might help getting the key to where the sensors see it). To help, you can press a button on the key to make it talk to the car again (his suggestion, I haven't tried it yet). It sounds like the car polls for the key(s) every so often.

I have seen that before, not usually for that long though. I asked the SC about it this morning. He said that the sensors for the keys are in the mirrors and the center console. (this might help getting the key to where the sensors see it). To help, you can press a button on the key to make it talk to the car again (his suggestion, I haven't tried it yet). It sounds like the car polls for the key(s) every so often.
Thanks for the info, what part of the do you press.

Apparently my wife gets this all the time. I've yet to see it. I will say that the mirrors no longer unfold when I walk up to the car -- it's like I have to press a button once for the car to realize the key is there, and then again for it to actually take action. It's on my punch list for the SC to look at next week.

Apparently my wife gets this all the time. I've yet to see it. I will say that the mirrors no longer unfold when I walk up to the car -- it's like I have to press a button once for the car to realize the key is there, and then again for it to actually take action. It's on my punch list for the SC to look at next week.
I should add that she gets it with either key, and I've measured the batteries in both keys and they're just fine.

I've had my car for a couple of weeks and have seen this warning repeatedly despite having the key. Clearly a bug.
A software update was made a while back that changed the coding between the fobs and the car for security reasons. Your fobs should have been flashed prior to delivery. Many folks experienced this problem, myself included. Having the Service Center flash both key fobs cured it.

A software update was made a while back that changed the coding between the fobs and the car for security reasons. Your fobs should have been flashed prior to delivery. Many folks experienced this problem, myself included. Having the Service Center flash both key fobs cured it.

I have had my fobs flashed, but still have this issue sometimes. The SC says it is probably the battery, which would be strange because they supposedly replaced the batteries when flashing the fobs too. I will replace them again when I get the car back from the SC to see if that fixes it. If so, there is something draining these batteries faster than they should normally.

I have had my fobs flashed, but still have this issue sometimes. The SC says it is probably the battery, which would be strange because they supposedly replaced the batteries when flashing the fobs too. I will replace them again when I get the car back from the SC to see if that fixes it. If so, there is something draining these batteries faster than they should normally.
What a strange thing, owning a Tesla.

What would a stranger think if you told him you just had your fobs flashed?:)