TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Key not in car warning

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Merrill, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

So wondering if anyone has had this happen, after 45 minutes being parked my wife and I walked up to the car and nothing happened. She had her key and I had mine, tried to open the door pressing on the door handle and nothing. Finally clicked on the key fob and door opened, got in the car and after everything came alive it said on the dash "Key not in car while not drive". It went into reverse and we drove off while all the time the key not in car was on the dash and after 1000 feet it went off.

2. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I have seen that before, not usually for that long though. I asked the SC about it this morning. He said that the sensors for the keys are in the mirrors and the center console. (this might help getting the key to where the sensors see it). To help, you can press a button on the key to make it talk to the car again (his suggestion, I haven't tried it yet). It sounds like the car polls for the key(s) every so often.

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks for the info, what part of the do you press.

4. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I would recommend pressing the top once (locking the car). Everything else opens something :)

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

It is interesting that the key unlocked the car but the key not in car warning remained.

6. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

Apparently my wife gets this all the time. I've yet to see it. I will say that the mirrors no longer unfold when I walk up to the car -- it's like I have to press a button once for the car to realize the key is there, and then again for it to actually take action. It's on my punch list for the SC to look at next week.

7. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

I should add that she gets it with either key, and I've measured the batteries in both keys and they're just fine.

8. ksquared

ksquared Member

I've had my car for a couple of weeks and have seen this warning repeatedly despite having the key. Clearly a bug.

9. X Fan

X Fan Member

Yes, had my X for about 2 months and that issue starting popping up.

SC did a firmware update on Monday for both my keys ( and replaced battery ). Suggest to check with your SC re; firmware update.....

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

A software update was made a while back that changed the coding between the fobs and the car for security reasons. Your fobs should have been flashed prior to delivery. Many folks experienced this problem, myself included. Having the Service Center flash both key fobs cured it.

11. Colby Boles

Colby Boles Member

I have had my fobs flashed, but still have this issue sometimes. The SC says it is probably the battery, which would be strange because they supposedly replaced the batteries when flashing the fobs too. I will replace them again when I get the car back from the SC to see if that fixes it. If so, there is something draining these batteries faster than they should normally.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

What a strange thing, owning a Tesla.

What would a stranger think if you told him you just had your fobs flashed?:)

13. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I hear that flashed fobs are all the range with the younger generation (at least since Glee).

• Funny x 1
  14. mddmx

mddmx Member

It might only be me, but anytime I have seen this, my key is in the same pocket with my cell phone.

15. ksquared

ksquared Member

It's happened to me with my key in the cell phone compartment in front of the armrest, not sitting near my phone.