Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key not in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have what seems to be a slightly different problem than most here. I normally unlock the car with a double-tap on the roof part of the fob, get in and, drive away. But, if I linger inside the car for more than just a few minutes, then the "Fob not in car - can't drive" message comes up, even though the fob is in the car. If I double-click the fob again, then it registers and driving capability is restored. Is this normal?

Having the same problem with my 2020 MX. After the 2020.28.6 update, a few days later the key fob is not recognized. Calling Tesla Service was a waste of time. Spent 2 hours on the phone and did nothing but get me an appointment at the SC. After driving an hour and half to the Service Center, I was told there was nothing they could do and had to wait for a software update.

It is really ridiculous to have this issue and not take it seriously enough to fix. Being able to use your key to drive is pretty important functionally.

So we started looking at other cars (Lexus, Volvo, Benz, Acura, bmw etc). Sadly there isn’t anything comparable right now. My wife loves her Tesla. So we are looking at model y and instead leasing. Market might be different in three years. Maybe.

It is really ridiculous to have this issue and not take it seriously enough to fix. Being able to use your key to drive is pretty important functionally.

So we started looking at other cars (Lexus, Volvo, Benz, Acura, bmw etc). Sadly there isn’t anything comparable right now. My wife loves her Tesla. So we are looking at model y and instead leasing. Market might be different in three years. Maybe.

You will regret going from an X to a Y.

Think so? Doors for us are too flashy. We love the auto open/close doors. We love the screen but have the yellowing issue ( fixed already once). Not a done deal and going to test drive Friday.

Y is cheaper, no falcon doors, more miles, lease which IMO decreases risk on what tech might change. In two years..a ton has already changed.

I have what seems to be a slightly different problem than most here. I normally unlock the car with a double-tap on the roof part of the fob, get in and, drive away. But, if I linger inside the car for more than just a few minutes, then the "Fob not in car - can't drive" message comes up, even though the fob is in the car. If I double-click the fob again, then it registers and driving capability is restored. Is this normal?

I have the exact same problem, happens very often. I deal with it by either double clicking the fob or placing the fob below the cigarette lighter in the center console.

This just happened to our model x. In Tetons, stopped recognizing keys. Called Tesla spent 8 hours dealing with it and said it was our fault for going to a place without cell service ( to access it via app). Towed it to super charger and used cell service. Needless to say we had to stop vaca early and now have to use app to drive. Going to figure out what next. If anyone finds out about the fix, let me know.

OMG this is terrible! So sorry this happened to you. I would really be upset if my annual vaca was cut short due to an $85,000 car having an issue. I upgraded to the latest software about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any issues with fobs since I owned the car. Mine is a 2016 MX P100D. Guess this tells me that driving a Tesla to a place that has zero cell service is something a Tesla owner needs to consider carefully.

Think so? Doors for us are too flashy. We love the auto open/close doors. We love the screen but have the yellowing issue ( fixed already once). Not a done deal and going to test drive Friday.

Y is cheaper, no falcon doors, more miles, lease which IMO decreases risk on what tech might change. In two years..a ton has already changed.

Curious to see where you go. Our Model X lease is up in May. Not sure whether to go with the Y or another X. Usually 2 people in the car so either car is OK for that. But, we have a model 3 and that is almost to spartan and rides much harsher than the X. Also, the X has more space when I need to haul something big, like a 6-foot bookcase.

Received an OTA update to 2020.32.2 last night. Key Fob function has returned. Nothing in the release notes about it. Sure hoping Key Fob keeps working, I have a long trip home in to areas with little to no cell service.
firmware update resets all modules so it does not matter what version you got other than the one you were runnning - it would reset the current error condition. you just have to hope it never arise again

Reactions: Art VandeIay
It may be totally unrelated but if you’re having odd instances of the key not being recognized, make sure you do not have key fobs from other cars in your pocket or purse. I had a Mercedes that consistently would not recognize its own key fob if I happened to have the key to my Jeep in my pocket and my Corvette will not recognize its fob occasionally if I have the fob to the Tesla in my pocket also.

3A084466-A485-40D1-98F0-C076E0F1994A.jpeg
E9EB41B3-CCB1-4443-A9BD-CAED20E14068.jpeg
Got this error message today and boom only option was tow truck.