Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key not in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car does not recognize key fobs

I've been getting this off and on since last year (car is just a few weeks over a year old)... Just recently had it last week... Service said nothing is wrong, deal with it... Usually have to do a soft or hard reboot/power down.. or, try pressing the different buttons on the key fob and keep it close to the internal sensor in order for it to be found again.

Had the same problem. Went to SC and they had to reset the MCU. In and out in less than 30 minutes. Or you could schedule an in home visit.
What did they do you can’t do? I’ve not had a problem with fobs.... (Saying things like ‘they reset the MCU’ doesn’t add anything since a reboot IS an MCU reset unless more details are added. :D.)

The only time I had anything like this was when I changed the batteries in the fobs and it didn’t take, and the SC had to reset the ‘gateway’ (their answer) which sounds like bafflegab. Perhaps you were getting the same answer?

I had several instances a couple months ago where I would get a key not detected message while I was driving. I don’t remember exact wording, but it would inform me that once this drive stops, I may not restart without the key.

In one instance, both fobs had been in the car, and then one left (we were doing a drop off), so I presumed it had initially latched to the passenger’s fob. But the message did not happen right away, at least 10 to 20 min later. I also had a separate occurrence of the same message but without any possible interaction of the second fob.

I was on 2020.16.* or 2020.20.* at the times of these instances.

When I got my X in January this year, both fobs had been lying on the shelf for so long that their Batteries where drained within two months (end of February). Replaced the batteries in both fobs and the problem was gone.

Same happened to my with a new Audi in 2006 by the way, it‘s not a Tesla thing. Just fobs transmitting while just lying in storage. Don‘t know why dealers let that happen (taking the battery out might be a good idea...)

What did they do you can’t do? I’ve not had a problem with fobs.... (Saying things like ‘they reset the MCU’ doesn’t add anything since a reboot IS an MCU reset unless more details are added. :D.)

The only time I had anything like this was when I changed the batteries in the fobs and it didn’t take, and the SC had to reset the ‘gateway’ (their answer) which sounds like bafflegab. Perhaps you were getting the same answer?
Not sure what they did only what he told me around rebooting the MCU. I feel like this is a software bug in the latest firmware. Hopefully they fix it next go around.

This just happened to our model x. In Tetons, stopped recognizing keys. Called Tesla spent 8 hours dealing with it and said it was our fault for going to a place without cell service ( to access it via app). Towed it to super charger and used cell service. Needless to say we had to stop vaca early and now have to use app to drive. Going to figure out what next. If anyone finds out about the fix, let me know.