Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key not in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohhh, you mean they replaced your fob antennas? There are two in front. One on each side of the dash.

In the old days we could not just press the UMC's button to unlock the charge port, we used to to have to do the "Tesla-two-step" taking two steps to the left - towards the front of the car, when our fob was in our pocket, to get the car to unlock, so we could unlock the charge port to remove the UMC.

Back in 2013, I bought an extra fob antenna. I wired twisted pair cable and ran it from the fob antenna in the dash, along the doors into the trunk and on the inside side of the charge port and wired it into the extra fob antenna. Then when I wanted to unlock the charge port, the fob was already there, and it unlocked when I walked up to the car. Was pretty cool in those days.

picked up mine today. they reset body control module. They couldn't tell me what caused it. I just got lucky by being in the worst place possible for this to happen. I could say so many negative things about Tesla's service but i wont :)

They couldn't tell me what caused
because they don't know.

Some software got hung and the other control software did not reset the module automatically like any sane programmer would have done.
(and yes, this is how I recovered my car from the same condition).

At least model S owners have easier access to the 12v battery co they can powercycle the whole car somewhat easily.

This happened to us last week. We have a 75D X delivered Dec. 2016 with MCU2 upgrade. Both our key fobs were able to unlock the doors, but our X didn't recognize the keys inside the car to start it up. Tried replacing the batteries, that didn't help. Called Tesla support. They had me power off the car and then they sent a reset signal to our X. That resolved the issue and it was all done over the phone. You do need to have a cellular signal or connected to WIF in order for this to work.

We had the same problem (fobs not detected in car to start driving but they could be used to open doors) and were told by SC that we had to bring in the car to be serviced. The next appointment was only 10 days out and we were expected to use our phone to start the car. For the record, I changed the batteries in both fobs and tested the voltage on both batteries (3.2v & 3.1v) with a multimeter. Today, update 2020.28.6 was pushed out and reinstalled and it fixed the problem! Hope this helps others.

Reactions: house9 and Akikiki
To turn on the car once you're inside, can I suggest holding the fob in the position by the cigarette lighter? Note that nothing will change on the display, but you can press the brake and the car will turn on. There's a picture in the manual of where precisely to place the fob. In my manual it's page 17 under "Unlocking When the Key Doesn't Work":

"To drive Model X after gaining access to the cabin, place the bottom of the key against the center console, immediately below the 12V power outlet, then press and hold the brake pedal to start Model X."​

I had the same scenario in a state park in Texas with no cell service with m Model S (but I'd expect same behavior from Model X). I used the fob to open the door, but when I pressed the brake the car indicated the fob wasn't found. I tried cell app to no avail, I tried rebooting, I tried walking away for a while, but no luck. After an hour I finally remembered that trick, but still took time to realize I needed to press the brake even with the "fob not found" message on the dash. The next day, everything was normal, but I did replace the battery just in case. I don't remember what software version this was, but it was maybe 2 months ago.

I'm still unsure what triggered this misbehavior. My oddball theory is that since I had squeezed the fob in a waterproof case with my cell, it likely continuously pressed the top of the fob for an hour. I've never done that elsewhere. Theory falls apart at this point though. No idea why it could still unlock the car but not be recognized to start it. A second kayaking trip to a DIFFERENT park, but using the same waterproof case, resulted in the same behavior, but I was much faster starting the car that time.

They claimed a hard reboot. I’ve tried everything prior to sending to the SC. They must have done something a little trickier.

Attachments

• 25DF95D7-A0A9-469B-B093-EA4AEE6E0E8C.jpeg
    25DF95D7-A0A9-469B-B093-EA4AEE6E0E8C.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 79
They claimed a hard reboot. I’ve tried everything prior to sending to the SC. They must have done something a little trickier.

They might have disconnected and reconnected the 1st responder wire. That resets a lot of systems.

But FWIW, still not having any issues. I also do a reboot with the brake pedal held down after each upgrade.
My car is a 2018 x75 manufactured in 5/2018 and came from the factory with MCU2. What are the specs on the cars of people that are having issues?