Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Not Inside Car

Knight3000

Jan 2, 2018
Canada
So this has been happening for a while now. I lost the main key fob and have been using the spare for a while, working fine. Recently I've been getting "Key not in car" while the key is obviously in the car.

Went to Tesla SC with my only key fob and a spare fob I kept from my earlier Model S. Tesla SC says this..."we will reprogram your Tesla Key if you car is under 80k (which it is). but we can't reporgram fobs from other cars. You have to purchase a new fob for $220 (Canadian)."

So my first thought was..."if you can reprogram a new fob, why can't you reprogram a previous used key"...just nuts in my view.

Has anyone found a way to program or reprogram a Model S key?

Thanks!

BigNick

Infamous Fat Sweaty Guy
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Not sure about reprogramming but the first thing I would do is replace the battery in the fob with a new 2032 coin cell. (I think it's a 2032, don't have my fob with me ATM to pop open.)

Russell

Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2012
Silicon Valley
So this has been happening for a while now. I lost the main key fob and have been using the spare for a while, working fine. Recently I've been getting "Key not in car" while the key is obviously in the car.

Went to Tesla SC with my only key fob and a spare fob I kept from my earlier Model S. Tesla SC says this..."we will reprogram your Tesla Key if you car is under 80k (which it is). but we can't reporgram fobs from other cars. You have to purchase a new fob for $220 (Canadian)."

So my first thought was..."if you can reprogram a new fob, why can't you reprogram a previous used key"...just nuts in my view.

Has anyone found a way to program or reprogram a Model S key?

Thanks!

Go to a different Service Center.
Just like you, I kept one of the fobs from my previous Model S and had them program it to my new Model S. They did it without any hesitation whatsoever.

wycolo

May 16, 2012
WA & WY
> 'if your car is under 80k'

My 2012 is approaching 80k miles but why is that a significant milepost?

These batteries when old read ~3.0vdc on a digital voltmeter perhaps but cannot provide enough current to run the fob.
--

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC