Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Not Inside Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this has been happening for a while now. I lost the main key fob and have been using the spare for a while, working fine. Recently I've been getting "Key not in car" while the key is obviously in the car.

Went to Tesla SC with my only key fob and a spare fob I kept from my earlier Model S. Tesla SC says this..."we will reprogram your Tesla Key if you car is under 80k (which it is). but we can't reporgram fobs from other cars. You have to purchase a new fob for $220 (Canadian)."

So my first thought was..."if you can reprogram a new fob, why can't you reprogram a previous used key"...just nuts in my view.

Has anyone found a way to program or reprogram a Model S key?

Thanks!

So this has been happening for a while now. I lost the main key fob and have been using the spare for a while, working fine. Recently I've been getting "Key not in car" while the key is obviously in the car.

Went to Tesla SC with my only key fob and a spare fob I kept from my earlier Model S. Tesla SC says this..."we will reprogram your Tesla Key if you car is under 80k (which it is). but we can't reporgram fobs from other cars. You have to purchase a new fob for $220 (Canadian)."

So my first thought was..."if you can reprogram a new fob, why can't you reprogram a previous used key"...just nuts in my view.

Has anyone found a way to program or reprogram a Model S key?

Thanks!

Go to a different Service Center.
Just like you, I kept one of the fobs from my previous Model S and had them program it to my new Model S. They did it without any hesitation whatsoever.

> 'if your car is under 80k'

My 2012 is approaching 80k miles but why is that a significant milepost?

These batteries when old read ~3.0vdc on a digital voltmeter perhaps but cannot provide enough current to run the fob.
--

Problem Solved. It was the wireless charger sold by Tesla. Tesla says they are trying to solve the issue via software.
Interesting, I have had the same problem and didn't think much about it. It only started after installing the wireless charger though.. Usually pressing the lock button on the fob clears the message instantly. Will try unplugging the charger momentarily next time and see if that allows the key to be seen.

Did they say why the charger was causing the issue?

A Tesla key is lost in the car. Car doors and trunks always remain unlocked but we can not start the car - dash says "Key not inside car" However, there is no key in the trunks, under trunk carpets or any hidden spaces. Searched inside the car everywhere (we believe). Is there any way to locate the key inside the car when the car does not identify the key as being inside the car? (We have driven the car a lot with the second key fob, so key is not under the car) Wondering if a powerful magnet would induce the key fob to move from a hidden space somewhere?

I’ve had three keys through 2 cars. When I picked up the new car, they reprogrammed my spare no problem. In the US I paid $85 for a new key. If you are traveling in the US sometime, stop by a Tesla store and pick one up. If you’re sure the lost key is in the car, open all doors, empty everything, remove the back seat, feel in ever crack and run a vacuum cleaner into everything. They often are in one of the front seat tracks. Good luck!