Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key opens door but won't move without card in center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is amazing.. best tesla yet... It will change the world. quick minor question.. anyone having the car open up when approaching but it won't move without you putting card on console... seems like a weird problem as you would think once the doors unlock you are all set .. but just as you think your ok.. car won't move and now you have to use the card on the inside... anyone else having this one weird problem? not bashing at all as I love the car just looking for advice?

Reactions: bhzmark
This has occurred for me at least once per week since I got my model 3 (Deckard) in January I have opened door, have my phone and am sitting in car. Put it in reverse and it asks for key card. Maybe I am not holding my phone correctly :)

From the downloaded manual:

"Once inside, power up Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal within two minutes of scanning the key card (see Starting and Powering O on page 40). If you wait longer than two minutes, you must re-authenticate by placing the key card near the card reader located behind the cup holders on the center console."

I've not had any issues, guess I hit the pedal soon enough

Maybe so, when I spoke with them today it seemed like something they can fix remotely though.

I had the same problem but also with occasional problems with the phone key. It would intermittently not connect to the car but once it did by unlocking the doors it wouldnt allow me to drive the car without the card on the center console. I spoke to the service advisor today who says he doesn't see this problem with the "older" android and iphones but with newer iphones and android phones like the google pixel xl (which is what I have). He says there will be new firmware soon to fix it. As a current P85D+ owner, this car is fantastic!!

• Informative
Reactions: kbecks13
Same issue as OP here on iPhone 7. Doors unlock fine but when go to start the touchscreen pops up a warning that key card is not detected. I have found that just waiting a few more seconds allows the phone key process to work as designed but there seems to be a lag. Perhaps different sensors in the car that allow it to be put into drive -v- just unlock the door. I am aware of the sensors that show the seat is occupied and foot on brake are in play.

From the downloaded manual:

"Once inside, power up Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal within two minutes of scanning the key card (see Starting and Powering O on page 40). If you wait longer than two minutes, you must re-authenticate by placing the key card near the card reader located behind the cup holders on the center console."

I've not had any issues, guess I hit the pedal soon enough

That section of the manual is about if you have unlocked the car with the keycard. This thread is about if you have entered the car using the phone key. You may not even have the keycard with you.