Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Own a Tesla model S had the battery replaced on the key fob and now its not working any advice would be grateful. Thank you.

Did you have a service center or mobile service person change the battery? If so, I suggest having them fix the problem.

Did you change the battery yourself? A couple of easy things to check...first see if the replacement battery is actually good (remove from the fob and check with a voltmeter). If it's dead, then there's your problem. I've had a new fob fail after a week with a dead battery.

Another thing to check is to be sure you didn't damage the battery contacts when you removed the old battery. They are somewhat fragile compared to the amount of force that's sometimes needed to get the battery out. I've done that too.

Good luck!

Bruce.

Did you have a service center or mobile service person change the battery? If so, I suggest having them fix the problem.

Did you change the battery yourself? A couple of easy things to check...first see if the replacement battery is actually good (remove from the fob and check with a voltmeter). If it's dead, then there's your problem. I've had a new fob fail after a week with a dead battery.

Another thing to check is to be sure you didn't damage the battery contacts when you removed the old battery. They are somewhat fragile compared to the amount of force that's sometimes needed to get the battery out. I've done that too.

Good luck!

Bruce.
Checking a battery with a volt meter is not how you check a battery. You need a battery tester that will check how the battery functions under some load. Hood volt meter tries to avoid putting a load. Volt meters are not good for checking AC circuits either for similar reasons. You can tell if a battery is stone dead but not if it’s good or bad.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah