Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keycard cracked, vehicle stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walked half a mile to get cell service.

Can't do much but wait until the spouse returns.

Next time, I'm definitely authorizing my phone to unlock as a backup. And buying the fob, which hopefully won't be as brittle as the keycard.
I use my phone as the primary and the card as secondary. I've had bad experiences over the years with brittle plastic credit cards splitting in my wallet. And... when Starlink is fully operational, you won't this problem!

Reactions: neutrino
When I go riding my MTB I much more worried about losing the Key Fob. BTW, how the hell did you manage do damage the key card but have your phone intact? I cracked my screen before biking but never damaged any of my credit cards.
I honestly have no idea how the keycard cracked. It was in my saddlebag. I've done it many times, and I'm not a crazy MTB rider! No spills or anything.

Those keycards are brittle!

Got a ride back home, but the Model Y is stuck at the trailhead ~15 miles away until the wife gets home from a trip.

Related: When you order new keycards from Tesla ($25), are they factory-paired with my Model Y? If not, I'm guessing the car needs internet so the fresh keycard can be paired....

You don't need the Internet. All you need is a previously authorized key card to authorize the new key cards.

And if you have lost / broken all of the previously authorized key cards, I don't think the internet would help. You have to have a previously authorized keycard to pair a new keycard. If you have lost/broken all of your key cards, you will need a Tesla service tech to use their magic powers to pair a new card.

I think authorizing new key cards is the only thing you can't do with your phone. It requires another keycard.

• Helpful
Reactions: neutrino
Got a ride back home, but the Model Y is stuck at the trailhead ~15 miles away until the wife gets home from a trip.

Related: When you order new keycards from Tesla ($25), are they factory-paired with my Model Y? If not, I'm guessing the car needs internet so the fresh keycard can be paired....
No. No, it takes one good working card to authenticate another card. Please sit down and read the manual. Looks like you have plenty of time before wife gets home.

And I'll chime in with my usual recommendation, if you have two people carrying key cards order the spare key cards *before* you need them. At least one of those cards should be stored in a safe place (at home) so you don't end up a situation where you both lose your key cards. The additional cards are cheap ($25 for pair last time I checked) and they can be added easily by the owner.

Or if you are fortunate like me and have a nice local SC they will give you a key fob or even a Card. But I do not understand how you broke a card. Mine is in my wallet and has been dropped, stepped and abused, but it has not cracked.

If you have a Samsung Phone with NFC chip, you can pair your phone and it will work even if you are in the most remote area. Whereas unlocking and starting with the App requires Cell Service...

Wrong, it may not be widely known, but my local SC set it up for me. Not all Android phone have NFC Chips. When the Service Tech came to my house one day for a service appointment on my Model Y he set it up.

You can read about it on various posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ebhufm/thank_you_tesla_for_the_nfc_entry_method/

So instead of using the Bluetooth to the Car which for whatever reason requires Cellphone service it uses the NSF on the Drives Door Pillar just like a Keycard... You will program it the same way that you program a card.

Last edited:
Wrong, it may not be widely known, but my local SC set it up for me. Not all Android phone have NFC Chips. When the Service Tech came to my house one day for a service appointment on my Model Y he set it up.

You can read about it on various posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ebhufm/thank_you_tesla_for_the_nfc_entry_method/

So instead of using the Bluetooth to the Car which for whatever reason requires Cellphone service it uses the NSF on the Drives Door Pillar just like a Keycard... You will program it the same way that you program a card.

Some phones may well have had BT connectivity issues, but you don’t need a cell signal to use it. That’s only required for remote access and initial phone pairing with the car.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
Why would you limit yourself to simply one BT enabled phone? Too many have an old phone from their last upgrade sitting in a drawer in the house. Or also pickup a cheap burner phone. Don't even need service. While on the subject, you can take a phone with not service and enable WiFI. Then download Google's Voice app. Using a Google account, sign up for a Voice number. And when you have WiFi, the Voice app can make calls. Besides that any cell phone with or without service not even WiFi, can still make 9-1-1 calls. Could save your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeHolliday
Why would you limit yourself to simply one BT enabled phone? Too many have an old phone from their last upgrade sitting in a drawer in the house. Or also pickup a cheap burner phone. Don't even need service. While on the subject, you can take a phone with not service and enable WiFI. Then download Google' Voice app. Using a Google account, sign up for a Voice number. And when you have WiFi, the Voice app can make calls. Besides that any cell phone with or without service not even WiFi, can still make 9-1-1 calls. Could save your life.

The idea is that you use your phone as the primary key (so you have seamless automatic entry/exit) and carry the keycard in your wallet/pocket as a back-up. That’s what I do anyway.

Reactions: MikeHolliday
The idea is that you use your phone as the primary key (so you have seamless automatic entry/exit) and carry the keycard in your wallet/pocket as a back-up. That’s what I do anyway.
Okay. Good. Makes sense. (That's what people have been doing since the 3 came out.) But what does that have to do with setting up a spare for those unforeseeable situations? You could leave the spare at your office on in your garage. You could even explain to a trusted friend or trusted neighbor and leave it in their garage.

There's a thread on here from a guy, within the past year, that was desperate for help because he locked his card in his car and it was in a hiking area where there was no cell service. He said he had not setup his phone, so he could not use it to get in. And his wife had their only other card and she was out of town. He had to wait a couple of days for her to get back to bring his car back home. He had hiked out to get home, but could not get in his car to bring it back. That's the kind of backup that I am referring to. That's where thinking that everything's always going to work and taking it for granted can cause grief. That's why some of us try to help by pointing out its a good idea to think about how create a backup. It doesn't benefit those of us taking the time to explain.

Last edited:
Why would you limit yourself to simply one BT enabled phone? Too many have an old phone from their last upgrade sitting in a drawer in the house. Or also pickup a cheap burner phone. Don't even need service. While on the subject, you can take a phone with not service and enable WiFI. Then download Google' Voice app. Using a Google account, sign up for a Voice number. And when you have WiFi, the Voice app can make calls. Besides that any cell phone with or without service not even WiFi, can still make 9-1-1 calls. Could save your life.
For those interested, I can turn the Bluetooth off on my phone and it works with my phones NFC chip. I can have the Turn Off, lock the Phone, Wave it on the drivers side pillar and Beep-Beep it unlocks. With Pin to drive I can hand my phone to someone to get something out of my car without having to fumble to find a keycard. It is just another option.

I don't understand why, after owning the Y for looks like over one month, is your phone not authenticated as a primary key.

Anyhow, long shot and likely will not work since your phone was never authenticated as a key, is to activate NFC on your phone and scan to the pillar just like your key card. Good luck!

Plus one on using Android NFC, iPhone 12 not so much.

The key sensor by the cupholder also recognizes NFC key btw.

Why would you limit yourself to simply one BT enabled phone? Too many have an old phone from their last upgrade sitting in a drawer in the house. Or also pickup a cheap burner phone. Don't even need service. While on the subject, you can take a phone with not service and enable WiFI. Then download Google's Voice app. Using a Google account, sign up for a Voice number. And when you have WiFi, the Voice app can make calls. Besides that any cell phone with or without service not even WiFi, can still make 9-1-1 calls. Could save your life.

I have just that. And mine isn't sitting in a drawer. I have it on a plan but it's 4-5 years old. The Tesla app won't install. I have considered upgrading that to the cheapest current phone I can find but haven't yet.