Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keycard cracked, vehicle stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Y owner. Got myself into a bind. While car was locked, my keycard was cracked partway through (I was mountain biking...). The keycard is now inoperable.

AND there's no cell service where the car is parked.

AND I didn't authenticate my phone beforehand. So local Bluetooth won't work.

AND my spouse with the other keycard is traveling out of state.

Didn't order a fob, either.

Any ideas?

Beware of your keycard cracking! It's actually quite brittle!

Don't you have it backwards? Phone is supposed to be the primary key and the keycard is the backup.
No, the keycard is primary. There are two ways for your phone to unlock: (1) You and the car have internet access, which in this situation, I didn't and (2) You can authorize your phone by sitting in the car and pairing the keycard with the phone. But that requires a working keycard.....

I'm a new Y owner. Got myself into a bind. While car was locked, my keycard was cracked partway through (I was mountain biking...). The keycard is now inoperable.

AND there's no cell service where the car is parked.

AND I didn't authenticate my phone beforehand. So local Bluetooth won't work.

AND my spouse with the other keycard is traveling out of state.

Didn't order a fob, either.

Any ideas?

Beware of your keycard cracking! It's actually quite brittle!

I don't understand why, after owning the Y for looks like over one month, is your phone not authenticated as a primary key.

Anyhow, long shot and likely will not work since your phone was never authenticated as a key, is to activate NFC on your phone and scan to the pillar just like your key card. Good luck!

When I go riding my MTB I much more worried about losing the Key Fob. BTW, how the hell did you manage do damage the key card but have your phone intact? I cracked my screen before biking but never damaged any of my credit cards.

Reactions: jmaddr
No, the keycard is primary. There are two ways for your phone to unlock: (1) You and the car have internet access, which in this situation, I didn't and (2) You can authorize your phone by sitting in the car and pairing the keycard with the phone. But that requires a working keycard.....
I think you're confusing initial key and primary.
The keycard is the initial key that is used to authorize everything else. But its main purpose is to authorize your phone to be used as your primary method of accessing the car. The authorized phone is the preferred key method according to the manual.
Once authorized it definitely does not require internet access unless you're trying remote access.
For extra protection, you can also purchase additional keycards at a reasonable cost - I got one for valet use which I keep in the glovebox.

BTW, how the hell did you manage do damage the key card but have your phone intact?
This! The Tesla card is pretty stout and you would have to bend it at a pretty severe angle to break the wires inside. Check out the X-ray:
upload_2020-8-2_17-24-18.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020 and kevin1