Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keycard required every time when trying to drive..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since last week, every time I press brake to start and drive off, my 2019 model 3 dual motor is asking to put the keycard on the spot next to cup holders. In the past, this only happened every once in a while but it is now literally every time when I try to start the car. Is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone know a solution to this issue? This is absolutely annoying.. Thanks in advance.

Since last week, every time I press brake to start and drive off, my 2019 model 3 dual motor is asking to put the keycard on the spot next to cup holders. In the past, this only happened every once in a while but it is now literally every time when I try to start the car. Is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone know a solution to this issue? This is absolutely annoying.. Thanks in advance.

I think originally, that's how it's designed for card key to be placed next to the cup holders for each start of the drive.

Later firmware updates have made it more convenient: If you just unlock your car and start your car immediately like 5 seconds or so, you don't need to place the key next to the cup holders anymore.

So, in your case, the solution is after you unlock your car, start your car immediately before doing something else.

If you were using your phone via bluetooth
Delete your phone profile and add it again.

Or did you change phones recently?

I think originally, that's how it's designed for card key to be placed next to the cup holders for each start of the drive.

Later firmware updates have made it more convenient: If you just unlock your car and start your car immediately like 5 seconds or so, you don't need to place the key next to the cup holders anymore.

So, in your case, the solution is after you unlock your car, start your car immediately before doing something else.
I tried this and it is not a solution. I unlock the car via iphone 12 pro max as usual and try to start it immediately but didn't work.

^Yes, if you have your phone as key and this happens, try turning off your bluetooth and turn it on again on your phone. The key card message should go away. This means it's something with your phone's bluetooth.

Those that recommended to delete the phone profile and recreate and also forgetting the device and reconnecting the bluetooth in my iphone, I just tried it and that doesn't solve this issue either.. :(

Just FYR, it is asking me to place the keycard EVERY TIME I try to put in drive or reverse after putting it on PARK. So after I press to park, it will ask for keycard before putting it back on drive or reverse... So annoying. Do you think I need to contact Tesla for a resolution?

BT is blocked by water and we’re mostly water so it’s possible your body is blocking it just a little.

I carry my phone in my left front pocket and get that message every so often. I’m not sure if the antenna is in the center of the car or if it’s still trying to connect to the one in the right hand mirror (where will they put the antennas if they get approval to remove side mirrors?) but, either way, as soon as I lift the pocket with the phone away from my leg, it lets me drive.

Try putting the phone on the charge pad every time you drive and see if that changes the pattern. If so, try carrying it in a pocket closer to the antenna.

If all of that fails, it’s possible that your phone’s BT antenna has a hairline crack or some other issue that can be fixed/replaced. Or, if it’s happening with multiple phones, it’s possible the car’s BT antenna is the problem.

As for the keycard, yes, you have time after opening the door so there’s really no need to place the keycard on the center console and risk losing/forgetting it.

BT is blocked by water and we’re mostly water so it’s possible your body is blocking it just a little.

I carry my phone in my left front pocket and get that message every so often. I’m not sure if the antenna is in the center of the car or if it’s still trying to connect to the one in the right hand mirror (where will they put the antennas if they get approval to remove side mirrors?) but, either way, as soon as I lift the pocket with the phone away from my leg, it lets me drive.

Try putting the phone on the charge pad every time you drive and see if that changes the pattern. If so, try carrying it in a pocket closer to the antenna.

If all of that fails, it’s possible that your phone’s BT antenna has a hairline crack or some other issue that can be fixed/replaced. Or, if it’s happening with multiple phones, it’s possible the car’s BT antenna is the problem.

As for the keycard, yes, you have time after opening the door so there’s really no need to place the keycard on the center console and risk losing/forgetting it.
I have my phone in my hands when I get in the car then put it on the phone cup holder. Then, I press brake pedal to start the car but is says to put the keycard to proceed..

I tried this and it is not a solution. I unlock the car via iphone 12 pro max as usual and try to start it immediately but didn't work.

Sorry that there was no information from the original posting mentioning about the phone. It did mention the keycard.

So with this additional information: Using the phone as a key has been tricky. You might have to diagnose, uninstall, re-install, configure the app, make sure the app runs on the background... make sure you didn't firmware update your phone...

So, it's possible to fix your phone as a key but it's lengthy.

My best solution for myself was: I bought the fob as soon as it was on the market and it's been flawless.