Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keycard required every time when trying to drive..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my phone in my hands when I get in the car then put it on the phone cup holder. Then, I press brake pedal to start the car but is says to put the keycard to proceed..

Okay, well that probably rules the body water aspect out.

I had issues with my phone's BT antenna (iPhone 6 in 2018 or 2019) but didn't realize that was the cause until the GPS started failing and finding out they were the same antenna in that phone. If you haven't tried a different phone yet, I'd suggest doing that before trying to get any help from Tesla. It's not that Tesla won't help (eventually) it's just that they're slow and will try to pass the buck unless you've tested everything they'll recommend. Your service center may be more accommodating.

I can tell you this much, despite the recommendations and advice from Tesla and bystanders, there is no requirement to have background app refresh or location services turned on in order to use the phone as key. The app has to be open even if it's in the multi-tasking (standby) queue. Invariably, the time it will fail because you don't have it open as the active app on your screen is when you're trying to open the doors in the rain with a passenger you're trying to impress (either for personal reasons or for spreading the Tesla love). None of that has anything to do with the issue of starting once you're in the car.

Sorry you're dealing with this, I know it's frustrating and, at times, makes you long for a good old fashioned key.

Last edited:
Do you guys know what would be the best way to contact Tesla for this support? Any information on proper contact channel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If you want to reach support, you can reach live chat support here, by following instructions under Chat with us and try different options until it shows an option to live chat.

If it's an issue that must be solved by service (not remote support) you can add a service request in the app.

I would think there are a couple possible solutions to this problem. iOS does handle background applications differently than Android. I primarily use a Pixel 6 Pro but I also have a 13 Max Pro. It is possible you turned off something in the Tesla app regarding privacy that may be preventing the app from talking to your car. Does the bluetooth work if you stream music to your car? Do you have another phone you can try, if that works you know where the issue is and you can troubleshoot from there. It is possible there is a problem with the bluetooth stack in your car or in the phone, they do crash.

I have found that after a tesla app update my phone/car acts like this until I force close the app and then reopen it. I then leave the app running in the background and don't have any issues. I have an android so slightly different situation but might be worth trying.
I just deleted the app and reinstalled it. It asked me to pair the keycard again, and so far it seems to be talking again. Thank you so much!!!

And thanks everyone else so much for your kind and prompt efforts!!

Pairing the phone with the car in the car’s Bluetooth settings is not required and not relevant to using the phone as a key. So unpairing the phone in those settings doesn’t solve the phone key problem. Try deleting the phone key from the Controls > Locks screen and setting it up again (you need the key card to do that).

How are you unlocking the car from the mobile app? If you’re using the lock icon in the app, that can work without Bluetooth. The car should unlock automatically if the phone key is working correctly. Double check the Bluetooth settings for the Tesla app (under iOS Settings) and make sure Bluetooth is enabled there.

In my experience, failing to recognize the phone is semi random. That is, it can fail many times in a row then start working perfectly for a while. As a result, many attribute the change to something they did, such as reinstall the app, force quit, etc.

On the other hand, I do think that cycling Bluetooth off then on has a real impact. I have an app on my home screen that toggles it with one tap, and that's helpful.

It would be nice if Tesla would address this issue.

Good grief guys, what a lot of sadness and dismay! If your phones are like mine you have to allow for wi-fi hot-spot versus bluetooth at distance and other competing signals. My supercharge fob interferes with my Tesla unit, for example, if they are too close together. The Tesla keycard, in a small sachet attached to your belt by an appropriate length lanyard will always open, start, close and lock your baby and live with you unobtrusively in your pocket for life. You cannot lose it if your umbilical is attached to your belt. Yes, place it on the centre console (as instructed) to start then just go. What's so hard about that?

I have the same problem intermittently. I am in the throes of a two week “the phone won’t start the car” phase. It’s maddening. Keep in mind my app is always open (iPhone 12 Pro) and it always unlocks the car. It simply demands the key card to start it for days or weeks at a time. I usually use the app to start it instead of fishing with the key card. But having to open the phone/app takes away my love for the tech. I have read all the posts, nothing seems to work, and I don't have the patience to wait on hold to speak with someone at Tesla. I just take my lumps with it.

Maybe try buying the key fob? It's only $175 (a bargain compared to other car companies) and as long as the battery isn't going dead it works great! I bought it and deleted my phone as a key and as a bonus I don't have to worry about using the phone as a key draining my phone's battery.

Good grief guys, what a lot of sadness and dismay! If your phones are like mine you have to allow for wi-fi hot-spot versus bluetooth at distance and other competing signals. My supercharge fob interferes with my Tesla unit, for example, if they are too close together. The Tesla keycard, in a small sachet attached to your belt by an appropriate length lanyard will always open, start, close and lock your baby and live with you unobtrusively in your pocket for life. You cannot lose it if your umbilical is attached to your belt. Yes, place it on the centre console (as instructed) to start then just go. What's so hard about that?
Are you joking? A lanyard around my belt with a keycard in a sachet? What if I don't wear a belt, say in sweat pants or something? There is nothing difficult about using the keycard but it is nowhere near as convenient as a phone.

Maybe try buying the key fob? It's only $175 (a bargain compared to other car companies) and as long as the battery isn't going dead it works great! I bought it and deleted my phone as a key and as a bonus I don't have to worry about using the phone as a key draining my phone's battery
The only downside is having to carry it. I go minimalist. Phone and ultra slim wallet, that's it.

Reactions: CarlThompson
It's weird how some people never have any issues (like me for just over 2 years now) while others have these intermittent ones with their phones and Tesla. I get it must be super frustrating. A bit like my never being able to get Frontier to work nicely with my eero mesh wifi at home. Just would not work properly although using eeros with Frontier works for so many others. Somethings are just not meant to be I guess! The keyfob is a great price though and if you dont mind having extra things in your pocket would make a great alternative.

My wife is the 'second' driver and is also having the cardkey problem. I tried several things to try and get it fixed but to no avail. I'm new to Tesla and have called about a couple issues. The tech was able to fix them remotely. It's a pain getting ahold of a phone tech. But this is how I've done it. I've had luck calling the service station nearest to me. They'll first have you try what you already did because that's the route they have to take, but 'eventually', just as with any phone support, they'll get to the point beyond what you've tried.
Tesla really needs to step up the support line convenience if they want to attract 'EV reluctant' buyers. Even using an AI software for initial troubleshooting would help. I use an online AI software for theory and fact checking with my hobby, it's pretty intuitive. Like talking to a person.
Anyway; I hope you get through your cardkey issue. I know I'll be working to get through my wifes cardkey issue.