Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That only mentions NCB. It conveniently omits mentioning how future risk may be assessed and its effect on future premiums.
Have you had actual experience of this or are you speculating?
Potentially this is true of all insurance, but this is a marketing benefit that Direct Line uses and would therefore be counter productive to penalise there customers who use it.
This will not be a cheap repair, to get it done right.

Have you had actual experience of this or are you speculating?
Potentially this is true of all insurance, but this is a marketing benefit that Direct Line uses and would therefore be counter productive to penalise there customers who use it.

I'm suggesting that it may have an impact on how future risk is assessed.

Premium increases after a no fault claim are widely reported from reliable sources and when the insurance companies themselves say they will increase premiums for no fault claim I think it is fair to assume that it is common practice. I think DL would have highlighted that the increase is not on the underlying premium either had that been the case. But no mention of that, just highlighting no increase in NCB. Happy to see any reference that DL will not reassess the risk and/or increase the premium.

People can draw their own conclusions but my conclusion is that "future risk may be (re)assessed" due to a no fault claim which may effect future premiums.

Random search result - How drivers see their insurance costs soar after no-fault accidents even if they don't claim | This is Money - many other similar articles.

This is Money said:
Admiral is one insurer that bumps up premiums after just one non-fault accident. It claims it is justified in doing so because those involved in one are more likely to be involved in another accident later on.

‘We use many years of claims data from millions of claims in order to accurately calculate the risk of a customer going on to make a claim,’ a spokesperson said.

‘Our claims statistics show customers who have had a non-fault claim are more likely to make a claim in the future, compared with customers who have not had a non-fault claim.

'By having a non-fault claim our customers fall into a category that we see as a higher risk to insure.

‘We rate on the fact an incident has occurred, whether they have claimed or not.’

I'm suggesting that it may have an impact on how future risk is assessed.

Premium increases after a no fault claim are widely reported from reliable sources and when the insurance companies themselves say they will increase premiums for no fault claim I think it is fair to assume that it is common practice. I think DL would have highlighted that the increase is not on the underlying premium either had that been the case. But no mention of that, just highlighting no increase in NCB. Happy to see any reference that DL will not reassess the risk and/or increase the premium.

People can draw their own conclusions but my conclusion is that "future risk may be (re)assessed" due to a no fault claim which may effect future premiums.

Random search result - How drivers see their insurance costs soar after no-fault accidents even if they don't claim | This is Money - many other similar articles.
So speculating.
Quote from the This is Money article you link......."Meanwhile Direct Line said that it wouldn’t raise premiums the first time but if the driver continued to make non-fault claims it could start to factor it in as it could indicate something about their driving habits."

Don't get me wrong, I cant stand insurance companies with a passion and would like better regulation of the insurance industry but I do wish people would stop and check there facts before spreading mis-information on what should be a useful informative forum, you being a site moderator should be even more careful .

• Disagree
Reactions: LEE3 and mpandrew
So speculating.
Quote from the This is Money article you link......."Meanwhile Direct Line said that it wouldn’t raise premiums the first time but if the driver continued to make non-fault claims it could start to factor it in as it could indicate something about their driving habits."

Don't get me wrong, I cant stand insurance companies with a passion and would like better regulation of the insurance industry but I do wish people would stop and check there facts before spreading mis-information on what should be a useful informative forum, you being a site moderator should be even more careful .

I've had direct experience of this.

You can also experience this yourself when doing a quote. Build a quote without any claims, see the price, then go back and add a no-fault claim (malicious damage) and watch the quote price increase.

I estimate it cost me a few hundred over the 5 years I had to keep reporting it, and each year I'd grrr. Next time, assuming I know who the other party is, I'll be asking for an ex-gratia payment to offset the increased risk.

Just tried confused.com and added a 200 malicious damage claim, policy jumped 150/year, so that 200 would cost 750 or so over the 5 years of policies. Ouch...

Last edited:
Waiting on a few more quotes but had a slightly more reasonable one at £980. Given my excess with DL is £850, unless a particularly competitive quote comes in it looks like it will make most sense to go through DL - and at least then you know they’re using a Tesla approved body shop (appreciating it shouldn’t make a massive difference) and the work will be well guaranteed. The vandalism promise was a bonus to find out about, although I can’t believe it’s still going to cost me £850 out of pocket because of the actions of some random scrote.

So speculating.

I think if you re-read my comment you will see that it is not stated as fact. I carefully word my responses and if there is any doubt in me being unsure of my response, as in this case, it should be clear from the wording that a statement of fact is not being made. The use of the word "may" is intended to make people cast doubt that the statement from DL should be taken as the whole story without checking for themselves.

That only mentions NCB. It conveniently omits mentioning how future risk may be assessed and its effect on future premiums.

Now, as it happens, I did a bit of fact checking for myself. I asked DL "will a no fault claim affect my premium" and as well as being directed to information that you posted, it finished off with "This is usually reported on your policy as a fault claim on renewal" - then goes on the reiterate the NCB protection - "However with out Fair Claims Commitment, your NCD will not be affected"

I standby my comment that the DL commitment may not be the end all. It is also fully compatible with your additional quote from This Is Money article that states that it only applies to the first claim.

As another member recently posted, a claim can have an effect on renewal premium irrespective of any NCD. I also did a couple of identical quotes, the only difference being an incident of "Malicious Damage/Vandalism" was added. If the act was declared, but no claim was made, there was no change in premium irrespective of 1 or 2 incidents, 6 months apart. However if one of these reported resulted in a claim being made, the premium was considerably increased from £448 to £632. We do have direct experience of this with Direct Line when a no fault claim by swmbo continues to weight her premiums even past 5 years. Its a car park knock that keeps on giving.

What this does not prove is whether any premium increase would have been taken into account on renewal, but DL does state above that it is usually reported on policy at renewal. Even if DL didn't raise the premium, it would negatively impact any quote made with a different company potentially locking you into DL.

As for be being a moderator, unless stated clearly in my posts as a moderator comment, the information contained in my posts carries exactly the same weight as any other member of this forum and, as with any post, need to be taken at face value within the context in which it was posted and checked by an individual that may be acting upon the information. This also goes with your original post that may also be interpreted as a factual statement.

shocking where in London exactly?

Stoke Newington. I just wish sentry mode was that bit more efficient for those of us only with street parking. I’m losing about 5% a day leaving it on, which although not fatal, the cost of which will add up over the course of the lifetime of the car when coupled with only having recourse to public charge points and the premium they charge.

What would something like this cost to fix? I made sure to go with Direct Line so excess is £650 but if a body shop can sort it for less then we should perhaps put together a list! It’s inevitable for some of us that have no off-street parking.
My brother-in-law had a door respray and blend into side panels in Audi pearlescent paint for £400 at a local (Manchester) independent.. Didn't need any scratch filling so that may add £50 or so. Made a really good job of it as far as I can tell.

for the op I would check the street chances are it has taken place to other cars on the street or neighboring streets. Most likely could have been captured on a residents CCTV. This will definitely be some one local who walks the same area. I would also suggest to the op look at moving the location of the car for a few days possibly also look at rental of council garages. Tesla or no Tesla this is definitely a issue with having no off-street parking. Hope it works out for you

Keep this thread updated

Waiting on a few more quotes but had a slightly more reasonable one at £980. Given my excess with DL is £850, unless a particularly competitive quote comes in it looks like it will make most sense to go through DL - and at least then you know they’re using a Tesla approved body shop (appreciating it shouldn’t make a massive difference) and the work will be well guaranteed. The vandalism promise was a bonus to find out about, although I can’t believe it’s still going to cost me £850 out of pocket because of the actions of some random scrote.

I assume you have tried Chips Away like the guy mentioned earlier who had something similar happen.

Stoke Newington. I just wish sentry mode was that bit more efficient for those of us only with street parking. I’m losing about 5% a day leaving it on, which although not fatal, the cost of which will add up over the course of the lifetime of the car when coupled with only having recourse to public charge points and the premium they charge.

Sentry may prevent an incident but obviously never really able to account for something that doesn't happen, it is also not going to stop anyone who is either determined or ignorant of it.

sorry to hear that! perhaps worth getting a few vinyl stickers to apply on the inside stating CCTV is active ?

Call me pesimistic, but I would just expect the person to pull their hood over their head more....even harder to identify people now with the mask culture we have found ourselves in too.

I don't expect sentry mode to be the slightest help to me in this situation unfortunately, I'll be using it mainly for the times where another car might cause damage and hopefully I'll snag their numberplate.

We've got 1440p CCTV all over our house. Had people steal flowerpots and stupid stuff like that before and you'd never identify them in a million years.

Reactions: Adopado
Call me pesimistic, but I would just expect the person to pull their hood over their head more....even harder to identify people now with the mask culture we have found ourselves in too.

I don't expect sentry mode to be the slightest help to me in this situation unfortunately, I'll be using it mainly for the times where another car might cause damage and hopefully I'll snag their numberplate.

We've got 1440p CCTV all over our house. Had people steal flowerpots and stupid stuff like that before and you'd never identify them in a million years.
Even if sentry had been working and you got a decent shot, unless you could identify them yourself the police won't do anything. I had damage to my garden wall caused by a skip lorry, I knew the company, I had CCTV, but the police refused to do anything because I didn't have the registration number.

Reactions: Adopado
I always remember the plumpergeddon site.

The guy had the name and address of the guy who'd stolen his laptop, video evidence of him using stolen credit cards.. and the police claimed 'no evidence'. The perp only got arrested after threatening to attack a Channel 5 Journalist investigating the case.

So sentry likely wouldn't have helped in this case other than giving a face to the idiot.