TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Keyfob - All Windows Down?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by chriSharek, Mar 17, 2016.

1. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Ok, I was just watching an official walkthrough video in trying to pacify some of my anxiety and noted that the guy said you can hold down the middle button on the fob and it will lower all the windows? Is that still true? I heard too many people were sitting on their keys and lowering the windows while it rained . . .

I also want to know if I'm watching an outdated video! Thanks, cs

5 days . . .

• Like x 1
  2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It hasn't been true for a couple of years. The problem is that it was way too easy to inadvertently press the button by accident. This is vastly annoying when it's pouring rain. Unfortunately, pressing a second time didn't roll them up, you had to go to the car and use the interior buttons.

3. David99

David99 Active Member

I really with the opposite was a feature. Holding down the button would roll up all windows and close the roof.

• Like x 1
  4. cynix

cynix Member

Or it should just automatically close all windows/roof when everyone leaves the car!

5. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Regardless, it would have been nice to open everything up as you're walking to the greenhouse in a parking lot . . .

• Like x 1
  6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you could turn on the ac via the app when you are ready to start your walk to the car.

7. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

With the app - yes. I guess that will work - just seems like such a waste to do that when the car is 110 degrees - as you are fully aware being in FL too.

8. BertL

BertL Active Member

No, not for me unless it becomes a user setting. When I have my dog in the back seat and I'm running errands in cooler weather, my windows remain part way down for her while my MS is locked and I'm in running short errands.

• Like x 1
  9. scottm

scottm Active Member

I developed an aftermarket product that did all this, for VW line.
    Then VW built in window opening/closing from the fob.
    Good bye market!

Tesla, as we've seen, can so easily build this into firmware too!

10. Zextraterrestrial

I wish this could be set as an option on the center console. I really liked being able to roll all the windows down when the car was hot and sitting in sun.
    or maybe a long press of the frunk button could be used? this has been asked for years ago...

11. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

And why couldn't it be a setting? Seems weird that they would give a feature like that and then take it away!

12. BertL

BertL Active Member

It could be. (Unfortunately) there are very few examples in recent months/years where Tesla has implemented a usability improvement or refinement like that -- except as it relates to AutoPilot. It's sorta like -- what is provided in the first iteration is what we've got at least for now, and if something breaks or needs rework (e.g. media selection button for everyone when Spotify replaced defunct Rdio in Europe), functionality is removed instead of being reworked. As to what the future holds, only Elon knows or is likely to set the direction.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I thought it was telling that they removed the windows-down feature because people were triggering it accidentally, and then just a few months later used the exact same easy-to-trigger press-and-hold gesture to the charge port opening feature.

They removed a feature some people liked, learned nothing from those who didn't like it, and then went on to immediately make the same mistake again.

14. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

I liked it but once did trigger it by mistake in my driveway - fortunately it wasn't raining and I noticed all the windows down when I went out later that night.

I think the charge port door, being on the back button rather than the top, is much hard to trigger accidentally. And even if it happens, there is no real downside as there could be on the windows. Before they implemented the ability to push the charge port door to open it, the key fob method came in very handy at J1772 chargers. Going back into the car to open the port from the touchscreen got old.

15. strider

strider Active Member

I open the sunroof to vent position and crank on the A/C from the app.

• Like x 1
  16. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

With the Remote S app you can open the Pano roof all the way, not just vent, if you just want to let the heat rise.

• Like x 1