Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfob and 40bit crappy encryption and stupid password requirements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
I want to curse the idiots who went out of their way to crack and then post the hackability potential of the key fob.

Then I want to curse the morons who actually publish the information "as a public service".

First, TESLA shoulda used a company that had better key fob encryption! How did they miss this! 40 bit encryption! Honestly!

Second, the hackers who spent months figuring out and publishing the hack are @$$#013s.

Now I need to input a combination at the middle of my screen while ANYONE can watch. TESLA couldn't even place the combination kaypad on the screen in a lower left and less visible area.

Now I'm told there will be new keyfobs that we will probably need to purchase, and in the mean time the combination only prevents moving the car and thieves can still break into my car to look around and steal stuff.

Way To Go to the buttmunch Hackers looking to publish! Way to go TESLA!

TESLA provided poor key fobs! If TESLA tries to charge I will be glad to create a class action suit.

Big thumbs down all around.

Huh? On the bright-side, at least now Tesla knows it can be hacked and will learn from this am sure to give us better encrypted key-fobs. They would have to charge us because there is no way they will be able to replace all the key-fobs for free without taking a substantial financial hit, which I doubt they can afford to at this time!

Reactions: Kacey Green
Chill.

You are posting in the model x section, do you drive an x? If so from what I’ve read the issue doesn’t affect our key fobs. So you don’t have to initiate pin to drive. Seems to affect model S Keyfobs with production prior to 2018.

Also this affects a wide array of non Tesla brands... unlike other car brands, at least we have an option to use software to improve security short term until a hardware fix is finalized. Most other brands you just drive the car around until the hardware fix is available. Again, it’s your choice to use pin to drive, nobody is forcing you to use it. Weigh the risks for yourself and make that decision.

I am not an expert but I guess if there's a lock, then there's a locksmith.

I am not sure if there is such a cryptographic algorithm that is impossible to break. I think a harder one or the best one just takes more time to decipher it but eventually, it'll be cracked if you give it time.

Thus, it is very useful to have an ethical hacker to educate us that the one we just thought impossible to be broken into, now just did!

With that knowledge or feedback, it's time for another revision to get ahead of all those bad hackers.

I want to curse the idiots who went out of their way to crack and then post the hackability potential of the key fob.

Then I want to curse the morons who actually publish the information "as a public service".

First, TESLA shoulda used a company that had better key fob encryption! How did they miss this! 40 bit encryption! Honestly!

Second, the hackers who spent months figuring out and publishing the hack are @$$#013s.

Now I need to input a combination at the middle of my screen while ANYONE can watch. TESLA couldn't even place the combination kaypad on the screen in a lower left and less visible area.

Now I'm told there will be new keyfobs that we will probably need to purchase, and in the mean time the combination only prevents moving the car and thieves can still break into my car to look around and steal stuff.

Way To Go to the buttmunch Hackers looking to publish! Way to go TESLA!

TESLA provided poor key fobs! If TESLA tries to charge I will be glad to create a class action suit.

Big thumbs down all around.

Are you a lawyer trying to drum up business?

As I understand it, Model S keyfobs use weaker encryption and can be cloned. Newer Model S and Model X keyfobs can't be cloned, but may be subject to relay attacks.

Neither of those problems are unique to Tesla and a professional car thief is going to get your car if they want it.

Valet Mode, the option to disable Passive Entry and the PIN to Drive feature add an extra level of security that I certainly never had on any of my BMWs and they definitely didn't add features to make my car more secure while I owned it.

Reactions: Kacey Green
No. Not everyone with a valid point or complaint is a lawyer looking for an easy score.

I'm pissed off overall with the key fob. This crap just adds grist to the grind.

Why are you pissed with the key fob? The security concern?

Note that many cars have security risks with fobs -

Radio Attack Lets Hackers Steal 24 Different Car Models

And of course many cars can be accessed with a slim jim or a rock to the window. Older cars can be easily hot wired.