TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Keyfob functions

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by umeshunni, Jul 14, 2016.

1. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

I thought I knew all about what the Keyfob can do, but I find myself learning a new trick every week or so.
    So, I thought I'd share what I know to see if others knew these and whether they have things to add

Single click:
    - Single click on the top of the fob closes all doors and locks the car
    - Single click on the window will close that falcon wing door
    - Single click on the trunk will close the trunk. If the trunk was in the process of opening, a single click will stop it at its current position.

Double click:
    - Double click on top unlocks the car
    - Double click on the trunk or the frunk will open the trunk/frunk.
    - Double click on a window will open the corresponding falcon wing door

Press and hold:
    - Pressing and holding the trunk will open the charge port

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

I have the S, but this funny... I NEVER use the FOB, outside of just putting it in my pocket. That's what I love about this car: there are so many options and configurations for each user. What a beautiful machine

3. TripleJ3EB

TripleJ3EB Member

Tesla please add a way to open the passenger door from the key fob! When I show off the car to people, and want to take them for a drive, its the only door I can't open unless I use the touchscreen. Then I get the comments about how I can't do it.

• Like x 1
  4. Milin1609

Milin1609 Member

Is there a way to use FOB to open the driver door only? Single click unlocks it, but I still have to press the handle. While all other door can be open using FOB. I don't have the premium option.

• Like x 1
  5. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

So, when the firmware in my fob was updated a week ago, I could double click the top of the fob and the driver's door would open, which was super handy. But a few days later it no longer works. Any ideas how I can get that function back? It's amazing how quickly you get addicted to all these automatic doors that Tesla was thoroughly criticized for developing!

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It's my understanding that only PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) vehicles have the driver's door open upon unlock via the fob. If a 90D had it temporarily, it was probably removed to give the PUP package more value.

One of the original selling points of the PUP package was the "Auto-Present" or "Invisible Chauffeur" feature. However, most have turned that feature off due to it being more hassle than it's worth, so it's my guess that Tesla added this driver-door-fob-control only to PUP-enabled vehicles.

I think one of the general themes for PUP was a higher degree of automation.

• Like x 1
  7. Milin1609

Milin1609 Member

It is kind of strange that the back passenger doors opens with FOB and the Driver side doesn't. Generally, one give importance to the Driver door first than the others.!?!? Oh Well!!!

• Like x 2
  8. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

With Tesla, nothing is set in stone. In the future, it may be possible to open the driver-side door with the fob.

• Like x 1
  9. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Yes, please count my vote for a fob function that opens the driver's door!

• Like x 1
  10. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

My vote too..so annoying that the door used most, has to be manually opened.

• Like x 1
  11. Milin1609

Milin1609 Member

That is exactly, what I am talking about..

12. EV Family

EV Family Like Tesla

Count me in as well. Heck I'd even pay a few hundred to give me this premium feature on my non premium X.

13. ishak

ishak Member

I don't have PUP and exactly two times (last night and this morning) the driver door opened upon unlock with the fob. I don't know if it was where I was standing (near the driver side falcon wing) that did it, a glitch, or what, but it happened.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. scott202e

scott202e New Member

I agree with all of the above. Tesla needs to add to fob the abilty to open passenger door.

15. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

On our S we only used the FOB for trucks. However, the S is a different story. Use it all the time because the door can be opened via it.

16. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

Trunks, not trucks

17. afdfog

afdfog Member

18. afdfog

afdfog Member

There is a setting under Doors. Driver or All for unlock. You want All. I had the same problem. My X was in the shop for 2 days before they figured it out.

19. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I think @TripleJ3EB is asking for the actual door to open (not unlock). At the moment, one can actually open 3 doors and trunk/frunk from the fob. The only door that can't be opened from the fob is the passenger door. I think it may be an issue with lack of buttons on the fob. There are just 5 buttons and 6 doors/trunks. I would gladly switch the frunk button for the passenger door.

Otherwise, Tesla will have to get creative with single/double/triple button presses to access each feature. I still think they should have a Morse Code mode so that we can spell out which door we want to open. ;)

20. jsollender

jsollender Member

@ishak i too have random opening if driver door with double click of fob in non-PUP and others do too. No one can explain this glitch that allows this convenience 10% of attempted opens. Anyone?