Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfob functions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I knew all about what the Keyfob can do, but I find myself learning a new trick every week or so.
So, I thought I'd share what I know to see if others knew these and whether they have things to add

Single click:
- Single click on the top of the fob closes all doors and locks the car
- Single click on the window will close that falcon wing door
- Single click on the trunk will close the trunk. If the trunk was in the process of opening, a single click will stop it at its current position.

Double click:
- Double click on top unlocks the car
- Double click on the trunk or the frunk will open the trunk/frunk.
- Double click on a window will open the corresponding falcon wing door

Press and hold:
- Pressing and holding the trunk will open the charge port

I have the S, but this funny... I NEVER use the FOB, outside of just putting it in my pocket. That's what I love about this car: there are so many options and configurations for each user. What a beautiful machine

Tesla please add a way to open the passenger door from the key fob! When I show off the car to people, and want to take them for a drive, its the only door I can't open unless I use the touchscreen. Then I get the comments about how I can't do it.

Reactions: JHWJR
So, when the firmware in my fob was updated a week ago, I could double click the top of the fob and the driver's door would open, which was super handy. But a few days later it no longer works. Any ideas how I can get that function back? It's amazing how quickly you get addicted to all these automatic doors that Tesla was thoroughly criticized for developing!

It's my understanding that only PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) vehicles have the driver's door open upon unlock via the fob. If a 90D had it temporarily, it was probably removed to give the PUP package more value.

One of the original selling points of the PUP package was the "Auto-Present" or "Invisible Chauffeur" feature. However, most have turned that feature off due to it being more hassle than it's worth, so it's my guess that Tesla added this driver-door-fob-control only to PUP-enabled vehicles.

I think one of the general themes for PUP was a higher degree of automation.

Reactions: umeshunni
There is a setting under Doors. Driver or All for unlock. You want All. I had the same problem. My X was in the shop for 2 days before they figured it out.
I think @TripleJ3EB is asking for the actual door to open (not unlock). At the moment, one can actually open 3 doors and trunk/frunk from the fob. The only door that can't be opened from the fob is the passenger door. I think it may be an issue with lack of buttons on the fob. There are just 5 buttons and 6 doors/trunks. I would gladly switch the frunk button for the passenger door.

Otherwise, Tesla will have to get creative with single/double/triple button presses to access each feature. I still think they should have a Morse Code mode so that we can spell out which door we want to open. ;)