Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfob functions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when the firmware in my fob was updated a week ago, I could double click the top of the fob and the driver's door would open, which was super handy. But a few days later it no longer works. Any ideas how I can get that function back? It's amazing how quickly you get addicted to all these automatic doors that Tesla was thoroughly criticized for developing!

The software upgrade made the auto opening of the driver's door an option selection in "Doors". People were inadvertently opening the drivers door into traffic, so Tesla made it a option that can be turned on and off. With the update, the selection standard was made "OFF". So it you want the option to return, go to Settings- Doors and turn it back on.

Settings>Doors* does not exist on my MX, presumably because I did not order the premium upgrade package. Oddly the driver's door opens occasionally when I double click the fob. At this point it pops open approximately once in every 15 times I double click the fob.... sometimes more, sometimes less. Weird!

(I do have "Doors" and "Settings", but I can not get to doors from settings. When I go to doors there is no auto open front door option)

Settings>Doors* does not exist on my MX, presumably because I did not order the premium upgrade package. Oddly the driver's door opens occasionally when I double click the fob. At this point it pops open approximately once in every 15 times I double click the fob.... sometimes more, sometimes less. Weird!

(I do have "Doors" and "Settings", but I can not get to doors from settings. When I go to doors there is no auto open front door option)
I see. I have the premium upgrade, so the software may be different. I always turn the Auto Open off in parallel parking areas (city streets) and when washing my car (don't want the door to pop open when washing with the hose).

image.png
From my SC that just detailed my 7 week old non-PUP

• Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
Probably the new firmware will remove the RANDOM front door opening instead of allowing it to be a regular feature for Non-PUPo_O. They can sell just that feature for a reasonable price instead of totally blocking it.:rolleyes:

I think I would pay to unlock the software so that the front door opens when I double click the top of my fob on my non PUP MX. I think it is preferable over the auto present feature that sometimes pops open when you don't want it to. It's think that Tesla could get quite a few of us to pay for that feature... or am I the only one?

I think I would pay to unlock the software so that the front door opens when I double click the top of my fob on my non PUP MX. I think it is preferable over the auto present feature that sometimes pops open when you don't want it to. It's think that Tesla could get quite a few of us to pay for that feature... or am I the only one?

I am totally in to pay for it, that's why I suggested that. It makes sense to have the driver door open with the fob click which is the most used door . Like the auto pilot feature post delivery, and the red calipers for non pup which are available in the Tesla Shop I hope they will make the driver door open Fob feature available.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
agree with keyfob opening the driver and passenger doors in the front...

regarding the doors, once in the driver seat, pushing the brake is a nice way to close the door. i could've sworn before this would close all the doors (eg front passenger), but now (not sure if after the recent software update), it only closes the front driver side door with pushing the brake?

agree with keyfob opening the driver and passenger doors in the front...

regarding the doors, once in the driver seat, pushing the brake is a nice way to close the door. i could've sworn before this would close all the doors (eg front passenger), but now (not sure if after the recent software update), it only closes the front driver side door with pushing the brake?

There was a time when depressing the brake did close the front passenger door as well. That was removed a number of software updates ago, after a few passengers feet failing to get in the car in time. So the driver doesn't have to ask "are you in?". The timing between the driver and front passenger was problematic, so the passenger auto close was eliminated.

Reactions: umeshunni
There was a time when depressing the brake did close the front passenger door as well. That was removed a number of software updates ago, after a few passengers feet failing to get in the car in time. So the driver doesn't have to ask "are you in?". The timing between the driver and front passenger was problematic, so the passenger auto close was eliminated.
My PUP P100 X opens the driver's door with a double click on the fob roof. Following that, a second second double click on the fob roof opens the passenger door. A triple click on the roof closes all doors.

Reactions: boaterva
I accidentally pressed the fob four times when I intended to press 3 times to "close-all". After that a three-click would doing nothing but chirp. I had to use the screen to close everything. This has happened twice to me.

Yep, just tested this to be sure.... This eliminates the reflex of the driver putting their feet on the brake too quickly! But, if you want, you can still close the passenger's door from the screen.

Tesla please add a way to open the passenger door from the key fob! When I show off the car to people, and want to take them for a drive, its the only door I can't open unless I use the touchscreen. Then I get the comments about how I can't do it.
As long as the driver door is ajar, double clicking on the top of the fob will always open the front passenger door. When my wife and I are out, I double-click to open mine, then double-click to open her door.

Tesla please add a way to open the passenger door from the key fob! When I show off the car to people, and want to take them for a drive, its the only door I can't open unless I use the touchscreen. Then I get the comments about how I can't do it.
I

A double click on the roof of the fob opens my driver’s door. A SECOND double click opens the passenger door.

I found this started to happen when the fob battery was starting to go flat.

Anyone able to open the FWD with override through the FOB?

The manual states:

"Note: Falcon wing doors are designed to proactively detect obstacles that prevent the doors from moving when an obstacle is detected. To override obstacle detection, hold down the top button while double-clicking to open/ close the door."

I tried everything but could not get this to work.

Anyone able to open the FWD with override through the FOB?

The manual states:

"Note: Falcon wing doors are designed to proactively detect obstacles that prevent the doors from moving when an obstacle is detected. To override obstacle detection, hold down the top button while double-clicking to open/ close the door."

I tried everything but could not get this to work.
It probably was removed or never implemented. If you refer to the latest version of the Model-X manual, those instructions have been removed.