Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfobs are back!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wish they worked via Passive. Sigh.

Yup- it's like someone at Tesla said... hey, let's sell a keyfob for $150 that doesn't do the one thing anybody wants a keyfob for!

If you've already got to take something outta your pocket each time the keycard already works fine.... (and the free phone app does too, plus works for passive too some/all of the time depending on phone)

Reactions: kavyboy
Make sure it's not an empty box ;) But seriously though, I love the phone key. I'd never go back to carrying keys if I didn't have to. No way I'd pay for the option lol.

But when your phone-as-a-key works only a small percentage of the time it's so frustrating!!! I seriously swear at my nice pretty car almost daily. I'm hoping it's just a bug in recent update BUT it's worth $150 to me, to stop swearing at my car and not have to hold my wallet to the pillar in my parking lot at work- I feel so dumb. And the fob is a mini 3! It's so cute! I wish the had color options to match your cat.

Reactions: MattUNI
I find it kind of fascinating that people are willing to carry a fob with them but don't want one if they have to push a button on it.

You find it fascinating that people who can't consistently use keyless entry via their phone, because believe it or not, it doesn't always work, want a fob that is passive (technology that has likely existed for over a decade), getting them both consistency AND the convenience of not digging the fob out of their purse or pocket?

I find THAT fascinating.

I find it kind of fascinating that people are willing to carry a fob with them but don't want one if they have to push a button on it.
Have you owned a modern car recently? They have passive entry key fobs.

Why do I want a key fob? 10% of the time I have to unlock my phone for the “passive” app unlock feature to work. It FEELS like it’s 100% of the time because it happens when I have both of my hands full. It’s annoying as ****.

If the app worked 110% of the time without issue. I don’t want a ****ing fob.

Slightly Offtopic: What phone do folks that have problems with the passive lock/unlock via Tesla app have?

I have a pixel 3 and it has worked flawlessly since day one. It does drive me crazy that it'll lock when I'm standing right next to it (particularly in front), but when I go to open any door w/phone in my pocket it always works.

Slightly Offtopic: What phone do folks that have problems with the passive lock/unlock via Tesla app have?

I have a pixel 3 and it has worked flawlessly since day one. It does drive me crazy that it'll lock when I'm standing right next to it (particularly in front), but when I go to open any door w/phone in my pocket it always works.

My Pixel 3 has only not worked twice in a month. All I do is click bluetooth off, click it right back on, and it works instantly.

iPhone XS Max.

Certain Tesla app updates will make it flawless. Other times it will bring back the random times it doesn’t want to work. At least it’s software based. Maybe one day they will get it.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but keyfobs are back: been waiting for one for ages, just ordered!

Model 3 Key Fob

I figured in case someone else had been waiting for one, they may appreciate the heads-up.
If the fob worked like on the Model S, it may be worth it, but after getting rid of my S for a Model 3, I love not carrying a keyfob. Iphone has unlocked my car every time without fail for the past 6 months of ownership.

Reactions: tljdesign
Yeah, this is the case for us: phone key works perfectly and amazingly for me, but is very inconsistent on my wife's phone (I have a OnePlus 3, she has a Moto G). The keycard also doesn't work through her wallet (I've tried it) so she has to either open the Tesla app manually, wait for the phone key to register, or dig out the keycard from her wallet and get herself in. The fob is just cute and convenient, and she's always wanted one.

I've tried a bunch of different battery optimization / keep apps running in the background type things like the one linked above, but either they have the same behavior or they absolutely eat the battery so I dunno: I think there's something weird with Bluetooth on that generation Moto G maybe? (it's a 4th gen Moto G).