Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfobs are back!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone has worked 100% of the time, but considering this for when I have to leave the car with someone. I put some thick carbon fiber over the center console and the key car doesn't work with it. If this works, I may have to get it for the random instances where I leave the car with someone...

This is just crazy, has tesla ever explained why the keyfob for the 3 does not have passive entry?
10-15 years old cars have this working without any problems. There must be a reason and surely it can be neither cost nor incompetence from their side... or I am missing something?

My card doesn't work thru my wallet because it has a rfid blocker to stop credit card and identity theft. Some may have this in purse or wallet and don’t even know it.

I would suspect it would be cheaper to sell current phone and buy a nice used one that the app works on rather paying for the fob?

My card doesn't work thru my wallet because it has a rfid blocker to stop credit card and identity theft. Some may have this in purse or wallet and don’t even know it.

I would suspect it would be cheaper to sell current phone and buy a nice used one that the app works on rather paying for the fob?

That would only solve one of several reasons people might have to buy the fob.

I ordered mine the day they came back in stock and received a shipment notice email today. Was shocked to see the notification since Tesla said expect a wait time of 3-4 weeks before shipment. Granted I still have another week or so before receiving it from California, but I’m pleasantly surprised that it shipped so quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
My phone has worked 100% of the time, but considering this for when I have to leave the car with someone. I put some thick carbon fiber over the center console and the key car doesn't work with it. If this works, I may have to get it for the random instances where I leave the car with someone...

You have to really rethink this possibility....you cannot program the new key fob to your car without it registering signal from the center console thru the carbon fiber wrap (...found out the hard way, out $150 o_O). Fortunately, I never have a problem with my phone but wanted the key fob for use with valets.