Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfobs dead after visit to SC and Firmware update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this at Telsa.com too:

I had my Model X in for some service and they did a firmware update to 17.28.4cf44833 while there. I got it back and all was good until about the 6th or 7th time I used my keyfob. At that point the keyfob was totally dead. No auto-presenting doors, no buttons work. Car won't start because keyfob isn't in it. I figured the SC left the keyfob too close to the car and the battery died. Used the phone app to get home. Change the battery at home. Checked the voltage on both the new and old battery. Both were good batteries. Keyfob still not working with new battery.

We go out to dinner using my wife's keyfob. All is good. Come out of the restaurant and now my wife's keyfob is not working.

I'm assuming this had to be something with the firmware update. I've tried rebooting the main screen and removing batteries for an hour or so and replacing them. Nothing seems to work. It's like the car has de-registered them.

• Anyone else seeing this?

We don't hear of this very often. I think its been reported once in 4+ years. Its going to require a trip back to the Service Center. Don't let it get you down. Stuff happens. I personally doubt it has to do with the firmware upgrade. When you go back to the Service Center, be sure you take both fobs. They must have both to reprogram them to the car. Don't forget.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
We don't hear of this very often. I think its been reported once in 4+ years. Its going to require a trip back to the Service Center. Don't let it get you down. Stuff happens. I personally doubt it has to do with the firmware upgrade. When you go back to the Service Center, be sure you take both fobs. They must have both to reprogram them to the car. Don't forget.

Yeah, I talked to the SC this morning. They said bring it back. I'm sure glad I don't live a 100 of miles from an SC like some people. They need to work out what's going on.

Seems like they need a way pair the fobs with the car remotely or allow the owner to do it. If they want to keep things secure they could require you to get a code from Tesla. Call Tesla (or get it on the app). Code only works for a brief period. Reset the fob, code expires.

Seems like they need a way pair the fobs with the car remotely or allow the owner to do it. If they want to keep things secure they could require you to get a code from Tesla. Call Tesla (or get it on the app). Code only works for a brief period. Reset the fob, code expires.
No, I disagree. Owners, or at least if I am only speaking for myself, do not need the ability to reprogram a fob to the car. One or two reported instances of this does not quality for procedures for the next to do it themselves. Next thing we will be hearing how some hacker took that technique and stole a dozen cars. NO. Not only not necessary, don't weaken the security by weakening the process. Everything does not need to go on a list to become remotely accomplished for someone's convenience.

Reactions: jeffro01
No, I disagree. Owners, or at least if I am only speaking for myself, do not need the ability to reprogram a fob to the car. One or two reported instances of this does not quality for procedures for the next to do it themselves. Next thing we will be hearing how some hacker took that technique and stole a dozen cars. NO. Not only not necessary, don't weaken the security by weakening the process. Everything does not need to go on a list to become remotely accomplished for someone's convenience.

Exactly. Allowing the average owner to do this opens up a major pandoras box with several unintended consequences...

Jeff

Reactions: Akikiki
What I'm saying is that you'd have to pair your keyfob to the car via your app. On top of that you'd have to call Telsa to get a one time code that you'd enter into the car so Tesla would be able to authenticate who you are. If someone could hack that system, they could easily hack the the app (or servers the app talks to) and start and steal your car without needing to do anything nefarious with your keyfob. I'm not aware of or suggesting the app is not secure. I'm saying that if it IS secure, then using the app AND a secondary authentication would be even more secure.

Pairing the keyfob should be as simple a procedure (once you're authenticated) as pairing a bluetooth phone.

Talking to the SC today it does sound like they've thought about addressing this issue. They are rolling out the Mobile Service program here and the person I was talking to said they are going to be able to handle the fobs with the Mobile Service. This would be much better than me having to drive all the way to the SC. Especially for the people who live nowhere near an SC.

What I'm saying is that you'd have to pair your keyfob to the car via your app. On top of that you'd have to call Telsa to get a one time code that you'd enter into the car so Tesla would be able to authenticate who you are. If someone could hack that system, they could easily hack the the app (or servers the app talks to) and start and steal your car without needing to do anything nefarious with your keyfob. I'm not aware of or suggesting the app is not secure. I'm saying that if it IS secure, then using the app AND a secondary authentication would be even more secure.

Pairing the keyfob should be as simple a procedure (once you're authenticated) as pairing a bluetooth phone.

Talking to the SC today it does sound like they've thought about addressing this issue. They are rolling out the Mobile Service program here and the person I was talking to said they are going to be able to handle the fobs with the Mobile Service. This would be much better than me having to drive all the way to the SC. Especially for the people who live nowhere near an SC.

Well that's good that they can handle the re-programming of the fobs with the mobile service. But what I am saying, is that I don't think the two incidents that have been complained about on TM are worth the quantity to warrant providing a method for the owner to re-program the fob themselves. And I believe it with sufficient confident that I will bet you a delivered pair of six pack of Hawaiian brews to a Tampa Bay cap that it will not happen. And I will offer to let you pick a deadline of when.