Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless entry gotcha (locked myself out this morning)!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been experimenting with keyless entry, using the app on my phone and leaving my keys at home. I learned the hard way during my kid's school dropoff the potential risks.
I generally leave my phone on the charging pad in the center console of the car. I had to hop out of my car to help my kid and as soon as I did the car locked on me! I was like "uh-oh" and pushed the door handle a few times. That only succeeded in activating the first level of Sentry...
Fortunately, I had my apple watch on and was able to call my wife -who was boarding a flight half-way across the country at the time- and she logged into the app and unlocked the doors for me.

Lesson learned! No keyless driving for me unless/until Tesla launches an app for the Apple watch.

Well, I am waiting on my Model 3, and I understand that most Model 3 owners rely on the app, so I wanted to try it out. Or, I am an idiot. Take your pick :)
There are two kinds of Model 3 owners: those that leave the key card at home and those who have gotten locked out of their cars.

On a more serious note, Stats app on the watch will not help you the next time Tesla decides to issue every Model 3 a new ID and invalidates your API token in the process. See: Labor Day lockout.

Reactions: ZsoZso and KerryOH
Parked in my parents building underground parking. My key fob battery decided it wanted to die that day. My cell phone had no signal, not sure if Tesla did couldn't connect to it. After a few minutes the fob decided it would give me one last juice of power. Would have been stuck otherwise. I would never leave fob and rely on phone after this

Parked in my parents building underground parking. My key fob battery decided it wanted to die that day. My cell phone had no signal, not sure if Tesla did couldn't connect to it. After a few minutes the fob decided it would give me one last juice of power. Would have been stuck otherwise. I would never leave fob and rely on phone after this

If your key fob battery is dead, you can still use it to access the car. You need to place the fob directly against a specific spot on the car, where - varies by model and build date. This page gives the locations for S and X: https://dashboardsymbols.com/2017/06/tesla-model-s-and-model-x-dead-key-fob-help-part-i/
For Model 3, use the same spot on the B pillar that you’d use the key card on.

As mentioned above, the Tesla Remote app (formerly Remote S,) has a solid watch app - and even a complication, these days. It sometimes lags on sending commands and getting data through the phone (haven’t set up the watch cellular, so I don’t know how that works,) but it usually works okay.

I have been experimenting with keyless entry, using the app on my phone and leaving my keys at home. I learned the hard way during my kid's school dropoff the potential risks.
I generally leave my phone on the charging pad in the center console of the car. I had to hop out of my car to help my kid and as soon as I did the car locked on me! I was like "uh-oh" and pushed the door handle a few times. That only succeeded in activating the first level of Sentry...
Fortunately, I had my apple watch on and was able to call my wife -who was boarding a flight half-way across the country at the time- and she logged into the app and unlocked the doors for me.

Lesson learned! No keyless driving for me unless/until Tesla launches an app for the Apple watch.

Another word of warning: don't leave your key fob and your phone together in the car. Apparently, the phone can mess with the signal from the fob and cause a lockout. I found myself locked out of my car with both the phone and the key fob sitting in the center console. I can only assume it was caused by this signal interference.

But you dont need a cell connection to lock/unlock the car .. that is a direct phone -> car bluetooth connection.