Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless Entry with Tech Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find the answer elsewhere in the forums here... But what does "keyless entry" mean in the Tech Package group for the Model S?

Don't all cars owners get the Fob? Or without the tech package, will you be using keys to get in the door? I haven't seen any door pics with a keyhole in it yet. And if so, once in, where would you put the key "for ignition?"

Just seems like an oddity in the specs and features of the car.

No doubt this is a one-and-done thread post, but im curious to know. Thx.

It means when you walk up to the car, it senses the fob in your pocket, the handles extend automatically, and you get in.

Without the tech package you have to tap the door handle to get it to extend.

Mind you, according to reports the "keyless entry" option won't be available at first.

It means when you walk up to the car, it senses the fob in your pocket, the handles extend automatically, and you get in.

Without the tech package you have to tap the door handle to get it to extend.

Mind you, according to reports the "keyless entry" option won't be available at first.

Maybe they sould call it "tap free" entry then, because they're all keyless entry, correct?

So with the tech package when you come near the car with the key in your pocket the doors will unlock and extend the handle without you having to touch the key, right?
I believe you can customize whether just the driver's door handle extends or all handles extend. I would want the latter because the kids always get to the car before I do.

Without the tech package I'm a little confused about what happens
1. You click the keyfob and the doors unlock and handles extend, or
2. You click the keyfob and the doors unlock but you have to touch the handle for it to extend

I would hope for #1, again with customization on whether just driver's door or all doors extend. I kind of like the Passat key I have now: click once to unlock driver's door, click twice to unlock all doors.

With or without the tech package you don't need to insert the keyfob into anything to start the car, right? Even without the tech package it senses the key in the car, senses your weight in the driver's seat, and you step on the brake and shift to D and you're off, right?

at the event 24/6 elon explained how the forb was used, press the frunk on the forb and the frunk opened, press the roof and the doors unlock, press the rear of the forb to unlock the rear trunk.
to me this sound like you at pressent have to tap the key forb.
Im happy with this solution and have no use of a keyless entry

in fact Im worryed about the feature and car theifs - not meny of them here around, but the tesla could be a desired "wictim" due to the +400 HK- what if keyless entry does work, and you are walking in your garden/nearby the car - that if your bedroom is just next to where you park the car.... ....the car could be open to anyone without you knowing - what if the range of the keyforb was 100 meters, then your car would be open while you are inside a shop....
we all know blouetoth class 1 does only work aprox 10 meters, but sometimes you may sudently for a short moment be able to connect longer distances.

As I understand the car will allow you to drive away without the key, but will not "start" if a key is not nearby.

I kind of like the Passat key I have now: click once to unlock driver's door, click twice to unlock all doors.

I always have trouble with the "click twice" -- never seem to get the right timing between clicks and often the second click will lock the door again. Especially irritating with kids waiting to get in. Or worse, they start pulling on the handle and the unlock doesn't work when they do that :mad:

Sensor or tap-activated self extending door handles will solve all these problems!

at the event 24/6 elon explained how the forb was used, press the frunk on the forb and the frunk opened, press the roof and the doors unlock, press the rear of the forb to unlock the rear trunk.
to me this sound like you at pressent have to tap the key forb.
Im happy with this solution and have no use of a keyless entry

in fact Im worryed about the feature and car theifs - not meny of them here around, but the tesla could be a desired "wictim" due to the +400 HK- what if keyless entry does work, and you are walking in your garden/nearby the car - that if your bedroom is just next to where you park the car.... ....the car could be open to anyone without you knowing - what if the range of the keyforb was 100 meters, then your car would be open while you are inside a shop....
we all know blouetoth class 1 does only work aprox 10 meters, but sometimes you may sudently for a short moment be able to connect longer distances.

As I understand the car will allow you to drive away without the key, but will not "start" if a key is not nearby.

It is most likely RFID, not Bluetooth. Proximity-unlock (and handle-extend) will work only within a meter of the car.

2. You click the keyfob and the doors unlock but you have to touch the handle for it to extend

Kipper I'm hoping you're right about option 1 too. And I'm betting to make the car go, you merely need the fob in your presence.

BTW, Almost all of today's cars operate on the click once to unlock driver door, double click to unlock all doors. Most using fobs also require the fob to be in either of the front seats, ie not enough range to start/opperate from the back seat - by design.

I've had the keyless entry system in the 2004 Prius and I don't think I've ever clicked on any of the fob's buttons except by accident. Once you have keyless, you'll never go back.

My understanding is it is #1 at launch. But in the future it will be upgraded so you don't even have to click the fob and the rest will happen. But I could be wrong.

BTW, Almost all of today's cars operate on the click once to unlock driver door, double click to unlock all doors. Most using fobs also require the fob to be in either of the front seats, ie not enough range to start/opperate from the back seat - by design.

FWIW, you can change the settings for this. I actually hate unlocking only the driver's door (although I see the value if one drives a lot in the rough side of town), so I changed my Ford to have one-click all doors unlock.

Good thread, thanks everyone. Next question: what happens when the FOB battery goes dead? My old technology Infiniti has a fob with an embedded old style key. In case of failure the key will mechanically unlock the doors and the trunk. Once in the car the dead fob can be plugged into a slot inside and you can start the car and go. What do we have in the S? Thanks!

Good thread, thanks everyone. Next question: what happens when the FOB battery goes dead? My old technology Infiniti has a fob with an embedded old style key. In case of failure the key will mechanically unlock the doors and the trunk. Once in the car the dead fob can be plugged into a slot inside and you can start the car and go. What do we have in the S? Thanks!

I can't say what Tesla will do, but on Lexus and Toyota vehicles, you touch the metal logo on the fob to the start button ring, and that will produce enough of a connection (presumably with RF ID somehow) to induce a start. I've has to do that on two different occasions with mine, before I was able to go in and replace the battery. So no key is needed, or is there even a place to put one in.

Figuring they'll do something along those lines. Like Jerry33 says, once you go keyless you never go back.

My understanding is it is #1 at launch. But in the future it will be upgraded so you don't even have to click the fob and the rest will happen. But I could be wrong.
His question was WITHOUT the tech package. It will remain #1 forever in that case. At launch, those WITH the tech package will also have #1 and then eventually it will not require clicking the key fob - the handles will extend as you approach.