Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keys/Valet Mode

Eric66

Jan 23, 2021
Gainesville, FL
How do keys work in a Tesla? This morning, I got in my car with my phone (key) before my wife drove to work. I quickly realized that she didn't have her phone (key) with her. When I went outside, I thought I would see them stopped at the end of the street but they were gone. I am guessing that my key unlocked the car and woke it up. How far can it drive without a key being engaged?

On a similar note, we will be traveling out of town this weekend and the hotel we are staying at only has valet. Do you just hand the black card to the valet and enable valet mode?

kashian

Jan 4, 2021
San Diego
Without a key, the car will drive until the driver gets out of the car. Then, it won't start anymore. Yes, give the valet your key card and enable valet mode either in the car or your phone app.

Reactions: Eric66

Velcade

Sep 18, 2019
Midwest
On a similar note, we will be traveling out of town this weekend and the hotel we are staying at only has valet. Do you just hand the black card to the valet and enable valet mode?

Yes. It's very simple. Use the app to enter valet mode and set your pin code. Hand the desk your key card.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC