Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keys/Valet Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do keys work in a Tesla? This morning, I got in my car with my phone (key) before my wife drove to work. I quickly realized that she didn't have her phone (key) with her. When I went outside, I thought I would see them stopped at the end of the street but they were gone. I am guessing that my key unlocked the car and woke it up. How far can it drive without a key being engaged?

On a similar note, we will be traveling out of town this weekend and the hotel we are staying at only has valet. Do you just hand the black card to the valet and enable valet mode?

Very silly question, if you ONLY use your phone for the key.

What options are available to valet your car, I think leaving a key in the car is not the smartest idea(pinlock the glove box may be the only solution?)

Thank you in advance.

Very silly question, if you ONLY use your phone for the key.

What options are available to valet your car, I think leaving a key in the car is not the smartest idea(pinlock the glove box may be the only solution?)

Thank you in advance.
If you only use your phone for the key you should be carrying the credit card physical Tesla key (it comes with two) with you in your wallet or purse. This physical key is the one you hand over to valet park.

Thank you Mike.

I don’t have a need or use for a wallet as everything is on my phone, Apple Pay, drivers licence is now digital (I am in Australia), house key.

So there is no way to use valet mode with out giving the valet the card?

Maybe leaving a card in the glovebox with the pin is my only option.

Thank you again

Keep in mind that the key card is the most reliable way of accessing the car. Phone key can be made inoperable by lack of cellular connection or lost of Bluetooth pairing. Locking key card is fine until your phone can’t open the car and you know the key card is there in the car!
I remember a thread last year (might have been here on TMC or somewhere else) where they locked the key card in the vehicle and went hiking with their phone. Phone battery died and couldn't get back into the car since they had no key.

Keep in mind that the key card is the most reliable way of accessing the car. Phone key can be made inoperable by lack of cellular connection or lost of Bluetooth pairing. Locking key card is fine until your phone can’t open the car and you know the key card is there in the car!
How about concealing the key in the Frunk? I believe there is a release under the car to open the Frunk without a key, so in an emergency you could access it even with a dead phone.

How about concealing the key in the Frunk? I believe there is a release under the car to open the Frunk without a key, so in an emergency you could access it even with a dead phone.
It is my understanding that the release you are talking about (applying 12V to the two leads behind the tow hook opening) is only available when the 12V battery has failed.

If it works when the 12V battery is alive, I'm going to have to remove the one I hid behind it.

It is my understanding that the release you are talking about (applying 12V to the two leads behind the tow hook opening) is only available when the 12V battery has failed.

If it works when the 12V battery is alive, I'm going to have to remove the one I hid behind it.
Yah I see you are right; I didn’t realize the refresh has apparently eliminated the manual emergency Frunk release.