Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keys with your FOB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do it like this:

gu6apyse.jpg

But I don't really like it.

Do you attach your FOB to your keys? Do you protect your hot wheels remote or not?

I keep my fob separate from my keys to avoid surface damage or worse since I do have a big bunch of keys. I did attach a small decorative plastic item with a plastic tie to add some bulk and heft so as to make it easier to feel in my pocket. And I don't put my keys in my pocket with it either. I have a small fanny pack for keys, cell phone and other items. So the only thing in my pocket is my fob.

No keys attached. I finally have use for the change pocket in jeans. Only problem is that I often come home to a locked house sans keys. In those cases I just go for another spin in the Tesla!

First part - same here - fob in change pocket of jeans, when I wear jeans; other times, just in regular pocket. I have a loop thingie on it that I bought off Amazon, but rarely actually attach it to my regular keychain.

I wish there was some way to eliminate the things I need to carry on a keychain, but for now, Pete's excellent fob cover does the job of protecting the fob:

IMG_1558.JPG

I need the Safeword Token to log on to my office systems remotely, and the grey thing unlocks my office building door. And I still have need of a couple of metal keys.

I really don't get the whole key FOB thing. Okay it was kind of gimmicky and cool that the key FOB was shaped like the car but the fact that an owner has to fashion equipment or a device to attached the FOB to their other keys is just ridiculous. I thought maybe it was an early production fluke but they still have not improved it.

Also with a car so advanced you would think they would have came out is something much better than a standard FOB. An example is give me a credit card like device that I can put in my wallet. Since the car unlocks, locks, and starts without the use of the key you really don't have to have instant access to it or create a phone app that will allow me to leave the FOB at home and use the phone as a FOB. Okay, end of rant. Still the best car ever created!

Last edited:
Since it's not necessary to take out the fob (with rare exceptions) it just stays in my purse 24/7 as some kind of abstract identity token. My key ring stays nice and svelte and on those rare occasions when I do dig out the physical device it's typically to talk about how infrequently I do so. It's just as well, seeing as I've dropped a Porsche key fob and had it explode on impact. These things are not inexpensive to replace!

I'm using a short cloth "camera" strap on my FOB -and hooked a key ring onto the cloth strap - which seems to lessen the chance that the keys on the key ring will be forced close enough to the FOB to cause noticeable damage.

I've been doing this since I got my car in January - and haven't had any problems with my FOB getting damaged by the keys.

The FOB has been replaced once - but that was due to the roof button breaking apart after repeated use (known problem with the keys for early owners).

I wrapped my FOB with spare 3M material. It provides adequate protection and its not obtrusive. And if I get tired of the color, I can always change it. Last month it was pink. I used nylon string from my kid's lacrosse stick to attach the FOB to the key chain.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

I wrapped my FOB with spare 3M material. It provides adequate protection and its not obtrusive. And if I get tired of the color, I can always change it. Last month it was pink. I used nylon string from my kid's lacrosse stick to attach the FOB to the key chain.

View attachment 37835View attachment 37836

Seeing your picture made me think...is it easy for someone to make a copy of keys with a picture?