Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia EV6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I attended a pre-launch of the EV6 at the local Kia dealership. This car looks very appealing in their promotional material and initial press comments have been positive so it was an interesting way to spend an evening. The demo was of a static fully functioning pre-production vehicle with test drives in September at the earliest.

IMG_3840.jpeg
IMG_3841.jpeg

On arrival the car was typically covered by a black 'reveal' cloth and our initial reaction was how much larger than a Model 3 it is, not just longer but taller and wider, in fact substantially bigger all round.

The demo model currently touring the UK is the GT-Line version and from the pre-reveal presentation it's obvious that Kia have benchmarked the Model 3 as its main rival. As could be expected, this was a very hyped-up 'car-salesman with button mic on cheek' type experience... huge range & WLTP quoted as being easily achievable & realistic, 800v 350kWh ultra fast charging - 10 minutes and you are away, 12 months free use & subscription to the 'fabulous' Ionity network (oh joy), effortless towing of a caravan up to 1600kg, an adaptor to provide 240v supply for boiling a kettle, charging another EV or even your home in the event of a power cut! Although questions were encouraged, it seemed that the other eighteen attendees were either ICE or hybrid drivers & they lapped it up so I wasn't going to embarrass the presenter (or myself) in open forum. One attendee had already ordered the exact model on display, another thought the idea of picknicking with kettle, small fridge and grill was fantastic... just a shame he probably wouldn't be able to drive very far afterwards.

On discussing with the corporate Arthur Daley once we were free to mingle, it was clear that there is very little hard information available... the EV6 will be priced "from the £40ks to the £60ks", no idea about AC to DC conversion losses, when charging another car or via the gimmicky 240v adaptor, real world range vs WLTP or indeed the fact that a caravan will reduce range substantially. He did go out of his way not to criticise Tesla though, even before he realised that I was an owner.

There are as many many positives as there are negatives - to my eye it is far more attractive than a Model 3 (but not the ugly alloys on this version) - the silk silver finish looked great in a dry, well lit interior setting but will not be practical & I suspect is just a one-off sales ploy:
  • Higher seating position so it's easier to enter/exit than a Model 3
  • Futuristic looking interior (but some cheap looking interior materials)
  • Two well thought out 12.3" screens and augmented reality HUD
  • A more 'enclosed' & cluttered interior feel than the Model in spite of being externally larger
  • Stylish 'floating' centre console
  • Excellent adaptive matrix lighting
  • Similar pop out door handles to the Model 3 (but thicker)
  • The boot had no means of opening without the key or an internal button (& maybe the app)
  • Auto Hold function presumably copied from the Tesla system
  • 'Engine Start/Stop Button with Smart Entry System' presumably mirrors Tesla Easy Entry
  • Steering Wheel Paddle Shifters for drive/reverse/park select
  • 4 front USB, 3 (?) front 12v, 1 boot USB
  • Rear seat ski hatch
  • Apple Carplay/Android Auto
  • 360º auto view and auto park assist

......and this example had panel gaps that suggested it could have been manufactured in Fremont (close up images below but unfair as this was pre-production).
Those present who were existing customers of Kia dealer Carr & Griffiths were extremely complimentary about customer responsiveness & several were also very interested in my Model 3 when they came to look, with questions about charging infrastructure & real world range etc (I tried not to brag too much about the Supercharger network but did give a reality check about purchasing any EV to the keen long distance caravan owner).

A nice enough car and I will test drive one when available but the twin motor versions appear to have significantly lower range than a Tesla equivalent so it's unlikely I would be tempted given the state of the existing UK charging infrastructure. However I do know from a couple of other satisfied Kia/Hyundai owners that these cars do seem to have reasonably accurate and efficient battery management so I would expect the EV6 to be a success and from first impressions it probably deserves to be ....a bit like a Model 3.5 or more likely a Model 3-

IMG_3839.jpeg
IMG_3842.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg

IMG_3838.jpeg
IMG_3836.jpeg

Last edited:
I was looking forward to this and the Ioniq5 due to the excellent efficiency of the kona/E-niro. They seemed to be the only cars out there to hold Tesla to account on efficiency. I was interested to see what they could do with their next generation.
Having seen the reviews of the Ioniq5 I was very disappointed. The highway efficiency seemed to be pretty average/poor tbh. Given this is basically the same car I am assuming it will be the same. I know range and efficiency are not everything and most of us rarely drive that far but on the other hand when you are used to the crutch that is the SuC its doubly phycologically difficult to give that up when you are getting lower range as well.
I don't want to sound like a Tesla fan boi because I really really am not but the M3 has been out now for 4 years now and still new cars coming out are not able to match the range and efficiency it had on day one. When you hear the bulls say "Tesla is 5 - 10 years ahead" you dismiss it as hyperbole but here we are 4 years later.....
On paper the new Merc EQC could give the MS a very hard time if it lives up to its billing. MS came out in 2012 so maybe we have a bit longer to wait for a true M3 challenger 🙂

Reactions: Durzel and Obliter8
I was looking forward to this and the Ioniq5 due to the excellent efficiency of the kona/E-niro. They seemed to be the only cars out there to hold Tesla to account on efficiency. I was interested to see what they could do with their next generation.
Having seen the reviews of the Ioniq5 I was very disappointed. The highway efficiency seemed to be pretty average/poor tbh. Given this is basically the same car I am assuming it will be the same. I know range and efficiency are not everything and most of us rarely drive that far but on the other hand when you are used to the crutch that is the SuC its doubly phycologically difficult to give that up when you are getting lower range as well.
I don't want to sound like a Tesla fan boi because I really really am not but the M3 has been out now for 4 years now and still new cars coming out are not able to match the range and efficiency it had on day one. When you hear the bulls say "Tesla is 5 - 10 years ahead" you dismiss it as hyperbole but here we are 4 years later.....
On paper the new Merc EQC could give the MS a very hard time if it lives up to its billing. MS came out in 2012 so maybe we have a bit longer to wait for a true M3 challenger 🙂

The HyunKia IoniqEV 56 are larger vehicles than the KoNiro. You need to compare them against other vehicles of the same size. They also charge _much_ faster than the KoNiro, so the lower efficiency is less of a problem.

....I forgot to mention that the bonnet storage compartment in this two wheel drive model was very small even for holding just the charging cables. The twin motor version is about half that size again, more like a (kangeroo) frouch than a frunk.

Last edited:
My last 3 cars where Kia Sportage and I test drove the eNiro back in June as lease was up and really liked it. Dealer told me about the EV6 and I was going to hold out for it as it looked promising and I was getting bored of the Sportage interior, but then I test drove a Tesla and my relationship with Kia ended...
(in part due to the poor infotainment!)

Reactions: RNHurt
On arrival the car was typically covered by a black 'reveal' cloth and our initial reaction was how much larger than a Model 3 it is, not just longer but taller and wider, in fact substantially bigger all round.

I've just Googled the dimensions ... I think it mainly looks much bigger because it is taller of course. The length is actually the same (well, 1mm different) but the width is a little more but as no figure available including mirrors it's hard to make a precise comparison.

given some of the lukewarm feedback from "real people" (after all the gushing reviews from media) on the Ionic 5, I hope that the EV6 solves some of the criticism of the dynamics - From what i've seen so far it's like they're positioning the Kia as the more sporty variant along with the GT halo model (until the inevitable Ionic 5 N appears) and then the Genesis GV60 will be the "luxury" flavour. I think both look fantastic and am looking forward to seeing them on the roads.

Not sure how reliable this site is, but dimensions on all for anyone interested... i think both the Kia and Ionic also have a longer wheelbase then even the model Y which should be great for legroom and rear-seat space.

edit.. just noticed that according to that site the Model Y is almost as wide as the Volvo XC90, which is hard to get my head around.

1629729018255.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
I just don’t see this (or the Hyundai Ioniq 5) as a rival to the model 3. The Kia and Hyundai are both SUVs.
A model Y would probably be a better comparison, but as that’s not here yet, this is the closest we have.

They sort of look a bit SUV-like but in reality they are not, the ionic 5 only has a CM or 2 more ground clearance than a model 3. I think the rival part is more about the fact that these are in roughty in the same ballpark price wise (fully loaded AWD versions compared to M3LR) and based on a ground up dedicated EV platform, not shared with ICE/hybrid models as the Kona etc.

Reactions: RNHurt
I just don’t see this (or the Hyundai Ioniq 5) as a rival to the model 3. The Kia and Hyundai are both SUVs.
they are in the same price and range bracket. many people looking for an EV will likely check out all. Many would prefer the practicality of the hatchback but also be drawn to the M3 despite it being a saloon due to all the other advantages and interesting features it has. I would certainty have looked at all of them if I was buying today

Driven the Ioniq 5. Sat in the EV6. Both are definitely SUVs (or crossovers or whatever daft name being used this month - CUV!). Both have elevated driving positions and ride height.

They’re cars and they’re electric. That’s pretty much all they have in common with the 3.

The Hyundai Ioniq (original) is a great Model 3 alternative, although it regularly gets ignored. We own one. It’s great.

Last edited:
Agree these are SUVs which, along with the VW ID.4 (and Skoda and Audi derivative) might explain why Tesla have started selling the Chinese built model Y in Europe rather than waiting for the Berlin factory to be finished.

Driven the Ioniq 5. Sat in the EV6. Both are definitely SUVs (or crossovers or whatever daft name being used this month - CUV!). Both have elevated driving positions and ride height.

They’re cars and they’re electric. That’s pretty much all they have in common with the 3.

The Hyundai Ioniq (original) is a great Model 3 alternative, although it regularly gets ignored. We own one. It’s great.
What did you think of the Ioniq 5? I’m considering one in addition to the current Model 3 LR. Trying to get a test drive, but it’s proving difficult!

What did you think of the Ioniq 5? I’m considering one in addition to the current Model 3 LR. Trying to get a test drive, but it’s proving difficult!
Very much liked it. If it wasn't for the size it would have been a real contender instead of the 3. Definitely a step up from the VW id3/id4 we were also looking at. As it is, in a couple of years I can see my wife upgrading from her Ioniq Electric to whatever Hyundai have replaced it with.

I really like that colour. I feel like I shouldn't like it, as I'm not a fan of matt/satin paint in general, but it looks really nice.

Interior is far too busy for me, but I've been spoiled by the Model 3. I should say though, owner bias aside, I'm actually more of a fan of the piano black OG console than the current one, which looks more like a traditional car. My console is PPF'd though so I don't get fingerprints. The original Model 3 looks like nothing else on Earth.

That said, there are plenty of areas - particularly driving dynamics - where Tesla are being left in the dust. Matrix headlights, augmented reality HUDs, etc. This stuff is present on Kias now, it's not the preserve of S-class Mercs anymore. Even little touches like mood lighting are nice. I imagine this car has actual functional auto-headlights and wipers too....

Tesla clearly have the best battery/power conversion tech going, and are still ahead by some margin in that department, but I feel like once the others crack that they'll have some serious competition.

Reactions: Drew57