Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with RS, do the lease. Negotiate the best deal you can. I'm leasing and just waiting for the Model 3, which I will buy.

When these <100 mile range EV's, mostly compliance cars, come off their leases, a lot of lower income people will be getting very good deals on cars that are going to end up being very inexpensive to operate. While the "sales value" of the cars should be pretty low, the utility of the cars should hold up pretty well given the low cost of electricity versus gas.

RT

With a parade of 200 mile range EVs coming soon the resale value of sub 100 mile range EVs( and even the 100-110 mile range EVs) is going to crater.

There is zero chance I would buy one. Definitely LEASE.

I see several 2011/2012 Nissan Leafs across the country for $6900 used. The Kia Soul EV isn't that much better a vehicle. It'll be a sub $10,000 used car soon enough.

Thanks for everyones input. Much appreciated. The salesperson already told us 'the only room for negotiation is really on our trade in value". Maybe I am naive, but I believe her, she seems trusting anyhow. It seems leases in Canada are more expensive than the US in general.

With a parade of 200 mile range EVs coming soon the resale value of sub 100 mile range EVs( and even the 100-110 mile range EVs) is going to crater.

There is zero chance I would buy one. Definitely LEASE.

But you don't gain much leasing if the manufacturer sets the residiual value low enough to account for that. Also, in many places EV purchase incentives will be gone within 3-4 years, which will prop up used EV prices a bit.

I see several 2011/2012 Nissan Leafs across the country for $6900 used. The Kia Soul EV isn't that much better a vehicle. It'll be a sub $10,000 used car soon enough.

Is it really $40kCan?:

New 2015 / 2016 Kia Soul EV For Sale Victoria, BC - CarGurus Canada

The value will drop like a rock. I bet in 2 years it will lose at least half of it's value. I'd save your money and get a used Nissan Leaf SL like this one which I bet you could get for even lower than the $15k asking price given the low gas prices:

NEW PRICE..2012 NISSAN LEAF SL
(Check the battery with Leaf Spy first though.)

Yes, it's ugly. But it will grow on you and it's only a stop gap until the Model 3. The range really sucks on any EV other than a Tesla so at least when you notice how limiting it is, you won't have to regret having spent $40k. Or you can bring up a Leaf from the States where they are dirt cheap but with our low dollar it's probably not worth the extra effort.

I would consider a used Leaf (2012+ model) or a lease. When the Bolt and the 3 hits the market in any quantity the current generation cars will sink like the proverbial stone. A nice lease deal (shop around) or a used Leaf with a good battery is preferable. Good thing about a used Leaf is that it's an excellent nr 2 car for when you can get a Model 3.

Hey Canuck and mulff. Thanks for the input. My wife likes being a bit higher, in an SUV, so I feel the Soul will be a better fit than the leaf. I agree with ya Canuck, I can see the value dropping like a rock as well. She is tired of driving the kids around and feeling 'guilty' about her carbon footprint, so that to me is worth a bit of cash and there is just something about the leaf that i agree..sits unwell now, but i bet after 3 months, i will think its pretty cool looking car.

Even after 3 months it's not pretty. But it's like the ugly dog or cat that you just can't help but love anyway. But the ride is nice and the car works extremely well.
I used to think the Soul EV looked like a club foot, kinda gross. Then my 10 year old daughter who loves hamsters suggested to me it looks like a hamster. Now I see a hamster when I look at Souls. It now looks a bit better.

Brought home the Soul yesterday, and just wanted to say thanks to all those who contributed to this thread. This website as well in general, thanks to all the contributors. I highly doubt I would of transitioned to an electric vehicle as soon, if it were not for me hanging around these parts so much.

Brought home the Soul yesterday, and just wanted to say thanks to all those who contributed to this thread. This website as well in general, thanks to all the contributors. I highly doubt I would of transitioned to an electric vehicle as soon, if it were not for me hanging around these parts so much.

Congrats!

Always good to see another Soul drinking the Kool-Aid with the rest of us :wink:

P.S. How about a pic with some snow in the background? What color did you get?

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine; it's been a great car so far. I've got 21,000 miles on my Soul EV and just did a 94 mile run on level ground at 65 MPH (no HVAC) with 11% to spare. Not that impressive in Tesla land, but I'm pleased.

I have lived from the east coast (where snow falls up) to the west coast of Canada. Surprisingly Rubbertoe, it does not really snow here in Victoria...maybe a few times a year. The ground is snow covered, very rarely.

As for the colour...yes with a 'u', my wife chose it. I actually did not mind the white with baby blue top accents...but electric blue is just fine with me.

Mountaindrew, that is some impressive range. My wife actually said today " I have the reverse of range anxiety, I want it to go down more to test its limits". Seems no matter how much she drives around town..and a bit out of town, we always have 100km plus left at the end of the day. So far enjoying it a ton, and really surprised at its range.

kia soul 2.jpg

I haven't been paying much attention to the mileage I get per charge. I had to drive about 50 miles round trip over the weekend for my annual tax meeting, and another short hop down to LA, and then to work this morning. I intentionally kept my speed at or below 62MPH the entire time. Clear sailing on the freeways given the weekend. Nice weather in the 70's too. I started with 90 miles of rated range, and finished with 25, so I used up 65 miles of rated range. I actually drove 86 miles during the test. :eek:

Turtle mode doesn't kick in till the battery gets down to 7%, so my 91 mile maximum range would get down to about 7 miles before limiting my speed, so 84 miles of rated range. Using the numbers above that 84 rated should get me about 111 miles in the real world at 62MPH. Very cool.

I don't typically ever get below say 20 miles rated without charging, but good to know that I could go 110+ miles if needed.

RT

P.S. Also had the pleasure of doing only my second Chademo charge at the LA Zoo the prior weekend. They recently installed one combo CCS/Chademo charger, and 6 Clipper Creek L2 chargers. There is a 30 minute limit on the L3, and 4 hours on the L2. Another guy was using the CCS when I pulled in and connected, so when he left he hit the button that switched over to charging me up. I checked the charge state while in the Zoo, and headed out after about 30 minutes. The 6 L2 stalls were all occupied when we left. Going to be needing some more L2 chargers there is my guess.

Had some spare time so hit a Chademo at the L.A. Zoo and tracked the rated miles while I was plugged it. Actually arrived with 16 rated miles, but didn't start tracking the charge until I got up to 37, when I zeroed the stopwatch:

chademo_zpstjw4p8qx.jpg

It stopped at 76 for some reason. I thought the manual said that it goes to 83% the first DC fast charge, but 76 miles wasn't 83%.

RT

Attachments

• chademo.jpg
    chademo.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 33
Only thing I have been doing differently is that instead of charging from about 30 miles to full, I have been Chademo charging from 20% to 80%, but not higher. I then topped off with a level 2 prior to a trip and noticed this 96, which is the best I have ever seen. Typically see 92-93 on a full level 2 charge.

RT