Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SOH was strange, while it showed that, the total miles at full charge was down to 46. And dropping rapidly. I might not have checked the SOH just before turning it in. That screen capture was from 4 weeks before I turned the car in.

RT

OK thanks. I'm thinking we should bring the car back to KIA and have them check it. Thing is, there's only 7 months left on the lease... so far they've been quite uncooperative in all this. Still looking at replacing it with a KIA Niro EV though. :)

My specific use case is that my wife bought the car when my 3 year lease was over. The car is used strictly as a commuter car for her and runs about 50 miles per day. She had free ExpressLane use on the 110 freeway in L.A., but that is no longer available, she only gets a 15% discount. When we get the new battery and have the car back, it will have the same purpose. For $210 per month, she has a great commuting car. Heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel. Currently have about 35,000 miles on the car. When we get the new battery we will treat the car very nicely and monitor the battery to make sure we don't stress it out. If we get another 35,000 miles on the new battery I'll be happy with the overall experience.

The current thought is that a hot battery and fast driving is the main driver of the battery degradation.

RT

• Informative
Reactions: pipestem and Cowby
Bjorn does a range test of the 2020 Soul EV

267 mile range under somewhat ideal conditions. The only reason you need that many miles, usually, is for road trips. You are still banking on a CSS buildout and hoping they put them where you are going.

My 2000 Honda Insight had 2 battery replacements. My 2015 Soul EV just had the first one. Anyone buying an EV that doesn't say Tesla is testing their luck with the battery.

My $0.02

BTW, the remanufactured Soul battery is getting 98 miles at 80%, a couple months into the replacement.

RT

• Informative
Reactions: gene and Cowby
They have actually put in battery cooling with this generation.
kia-soul-ev.jpg

Bjorn does a range test of the 2020 Soul EV

Part 2 of this video is very interesting. We get to see the new 10" screen which is wider and allows both navigation and battery stats to sit comfortably side-by-side. It also has telematics and a new autopilot system that seems to be an upgrade over the Niro/Kona.

267 mile range under somewhat ideal conditions. The only reason you need that many miles, usually, is for road trips. You are still banking on a CSS buildout and hoping they put them where you are going.

My 2000 Honda Insight had 2 battery replacements. My 2015 Soul EV just had the first one. Anyone buying an EV that doesn't say Tesla is testing their luck with the battery.

My $0.02

BTW, the remanufactured Soul battery is getting 98 miles at 80%, a couple months into the replacement.

RT

Different battery technology, motors, electronics, etc than the 1st gen Soul EV.

Based on the same skateboard chassis as the Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro EVs which have good range also. The new Soul EV has 64KWh liquid cooled battery, 201 hp and 291 ft.-lb. of torque motor.

Can't wait to see these cars on the road in large numbers.

Reactions: 1 person
-
The new 64kWh Soul EV is believed to be an identical SK Innovation pack as the 64kWh N iro EV.

According to this article -Korean news article
The battery cost of a 64kWh Kia Soul EV is 1477만원 or about 12,500 USD.
The cost per kWh for the new Soul battery pack = 195USD
Cheaper than the B olt, but more expensive than the M odel 3

This can be compared to the cost of the battery in other comparable cars using figures from Monroe Associates.

The image is from a YouTube video by Sean Mitchell

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
Our 2015 Soul EV had the battery replaced about 3 years ago. I believe it is now up to around 60,000 miles total. The wife uses it as a commuter car running 50 total miles per day. We keep it out of the sun and drive below 75mph.

RT

35+% degradation at 100k km.
Ouch, that's quite a bit for those miles in a mild climate. Hopefully the latest Kia batteries going into the Niro EV and EV6 are significantly more durable. Batteries need to be designed to last 15 years and 200k miles in hot climates before they get to 30% capacity loss.

It's too bad, because the cars are quite sensible, otherwise.

Who are they sourcing their batteries from?

Ouch, that's quite a bit for those miles in a mild climate. Hopefully the latest Kia batteries going into the Niro EV and EV6 are significantly more durable. Batteries need to be designed to last 15 years and 200k miles in hot climates before they get to 30% capacity loss.

It's too bad, because the cars are quite sensible, otherwise.
These cars had a fan for air cooling the battery pack unlike modern cars with refrigerated liquid cooling systems.

My Soul EV had 15% degradation at 45k miles with very careful battery care. I really loved that car aside from the degradation and would happily buy another Hyundai/Kia product.

These cars had a fan for air cooling the battery pack unlike modern cars with refrigerated liquid cooling systems.

My Soul EV had 15% degradation at 45k miles with very careful battery care. I really loved that car aside from the degradation and would happily buy another Hyundai/Kia product.
Based on the battery temperature data I've seen, unless you frequently quick charge, the temperature of the battery tends to stay fairly close to ambient temperature, regardless of the type of cooling that the battery pack has.

After all, most of the time the car just sits around - you might spend an hour a day driving, then 1-2 hours a day level 2 charging, which is negligible in terms of how much it heats the battery. For Tesla, level 2 charging actually heats the battery a bit depending on ambient temperatures, mainly because of the AC/DC converter is water cooled and Tesla actually sets a 86F/30C passive heating target for the battery, so any waste heat from the AC/DC converter is pushed into the battery.

Water cooling is vastly superior when you need to shed heat quickly - as Tesla does after Supercharging since now it actively heats the battery to something like 40C and it's not uncommon to have the battery hit 60C during Supercharging in hot weather.

So I think Tesla's actually tend to see higher temperatures than most other cars - and despite this, their batteries tend to last longer.

Now the jury is still out on the Model 3 / Y batteries, but at least for the original batteries in the Model 3, it's not uncommon to have lost 10% capacity after just 3-4 years, regardless of how many miles you've put on it, unless you baby it and live in a cool climate. Tesla still has has some dud-chemistries - the cells used in the 90 kWh cars are pretty notorious for rapid capacity loss - often having less capacity than 85 kWh cars despite having fewer miles and being newer. Note that there could be multiple tweaks to the chemistry in "85 kWh" and "90 kWh" and "100 kWh" batteries. Some really good data on this posted by wk057 here: Wiki - Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I'm still waiting for the million-mile battery to hit the market - I'd be really happy to see a 15 year, 250k mile battery hit the market that would retain 70% capacity and 70% Supercharging speeds regardless of how you treat it. For most people, it would last significantly longer.

Based on the battery temperature data I've seen, unless you frequently quick charge, the temperature of the battery tends to stay fairly close to ambient temperature, regardless of the type of cooling that the battery pack has.

After all, most of the time the car just sits around - you might spend an hour a day driving, then 1-2 hours a day level 2 charging, which is negligible in terms of how much it heats the battery. For Tesla, level 2 charging actually heats the battery a bit depending on ambient temperatures, mainly because of the AC/DC converter is water cooled and Tesla actually sets a 86F/30C passive heating target for the battery, so any waste heat from the AC/DC converter is pushed into the battery.

Water cooling is vastly superior when you need to shed heat quickly - as Tesla does after Supercharging since now it actively heats the battery to something like 40C and it's not uncommon to have the battery hit 60C during Supercharging in hot weather.

So I think Tesla's actually tend to see higher temperatures than most other cars - and despite this, their batteries tend to last longer.

Now the jury is still out on the Model 3 / Y batteries, but at least for the original batteries in the Model 3, it's not uncommon to have lost 10% capacity after just 3-4 years, regardless of how many miles you've put on it, unless you baby it and live in a cool climate. Tesla still has has some dud-chemistries - the cells used in the 90 kWh cars are pretty notorious for rapid capacity loss - often having less capacity than 85 kWh cars despite having fewer miles and being newer. Note that there could be multiple tweaks to the chemistry in "85 kWh" and "90 kWh" and "100 kWh" batteries. Some really good data on this posted by wk057 here: Wiki - Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I'm still waiting for the million-mile battery to hit the market - I'd be really happy to see a 15 year, 250k mile battery hit the market that would retain 70% capacity and 70% Supercharging speeds regardless of how you treat it. For most people, it would last significantly longer.
My degradation experience is as follows

2013 Leaf, passive air cooling, 40% lost at 40k miles.

2015 Soul EV, active air cooling, 15% lost at 45k miles.

2018 Model 3, active liquid cooling, 7% lost at 70k miles.

Interpret as you wish.