Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kicked out of the FSD Beta! (Long Post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, apologies for the long post, but I feel like my M3 investment deserves this airing! I’m not a super-frequent visitor here, but have read many threads over the 2.5 years I’ve had my beloved Dual Motor Model 3. I’m posting today to explain how I was unceremoniously booted from the FSD beta program last week. But before I get into that, a little background.

First and foremost: I love my M3. It has changed my life. I previously had a Subaru Forrester. I’m a consultant and drive about 1-2 hours per day, going to various client sites. For a couple years leading up to the M3 purchase, my body, and particularly my back, would be *hurting* after longer drives in the Forrester. I was honestly asking myself how I was going to keep going with my career, with the aches and pains that driving was causing me. Then I looked into a Model 3. And the rest is history.

I use autopilot 90% of the time I’m in the car. Always paying attention, of course, but able to rest my body. No feet pressing the pedals. No hands clutching the wheel. It’s astounding what a toll that takes on the (50-year-old) body, day in and day out. I can drive 2 hours in the M3 and not feel like I was in the car at all. That's life changing!

Now, first of all, I’m no Elon/Tesla complainer/hater. I love the car so much, tech warts and all. Auto-wipers suck—don’t care. Road noise is significant—don’t care. Unresolved trim issues at purchase—don’t care. The car is just amazing. Best purchase I have ever made, without question. Second: I pay attention when I drive, and know how the Model 3 works. I have logged about 45,000 miles on autopilot. I know how to pay attention, and I know when and how to prove that to the M3.

Now for the sad part. The FSD beta was simply yanked from my car last week, with no email notice, and little to no in-car warning. If something was presented on the screen, it was small, looked like any other message, and, ironically, it must have been showing when I was driving and paying attention to the road!

I got the FSD beta a few weeks ago after a painstaking 30 days of getting a 99 safety score, despite driving in really difficult areas of Boston and the suburbs. All sorts of people hard breaking in front of me, cutting me off, etc. But I was careful, as I always am, and maintained a 99 for a month which was no small feat. I got the FSD beta and was really psyched. Unlike some of you, I didn’t read a ton about it ahead of time. No time for that with 3 younger kids and a demanding job, all seriously affected by the pandemic. So I didn’t fully understand many things about FSD except for the fact that 1) I paid many thousands of dollars for it. 2) I’ve waited two and a half years for it. And 3) it doesn’t work very well so you have to be very careful.

I used FSD the day it downloaded and was struck by how bad it was on city streets. I was really surprised. It was exciting to see it trying to do things it couldn't do before, but I stopped using it. I pretty much only double-tap the gear stalk on major roads, and after that first bad experience, didn’t try it again for a week or so on city streets. The next time I tried it, in hindsight, I noticed extensive nags about paying attention. I was confused because I *was* paying attention. But I guess I did change audio sources, change A/C temps., etc. This is par for the course with standard AP and I never had an issue.

Then last week, I was on a back road. No one around me. I was changing the radio stations during a morning commute and then I had to change my navigation destination. I simply clicked on navigation and switched destinations to one of my preset favorites. AP freaked out and disengaged. And then I saw the message. I was booted from the beta.

Kicked-Out.jpeg

Then ensued tons of reading. I discovered that I was doing it wrong. I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road without even changing the radio station. But I didn’t know. And now after 2.5 years, thousands of dollars, 45,000 miles of safe AP driving, and 30 days of excruciatingly safe Safety-Score driving, I’ve lost what I only had for a few drives, and may never get it back. Man, that SUCKS!

Now a couple of questions for those of you more in the know than me.

1) Does anyone know if I will get FSD beta access back? When?
2) If I email Tesla and officially back out of the beta, will I get my old less-nagging AP back?
3) Can I then re-apply for the beta and go through another safety score test and get FSD back?

So frustrating not knowing the answers to these questions. Of course I called Tesla and the guy on the phone was useless. I do have service scheduled next week and will ask, but I’m pretty sure they won’t know anything either.

For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!

I find it funny how you tell me what is worth it to me. I absolutely get things that I 'objectively' benefit from out of FSD. NOA lane changes = awesome. Green light chime - nice. FSD Beta = awesome. I recently did a 8 hour road trip where the car drove 100% door-to-door both ways. It is worth it *to me*, as is, right now, no future promises. You can disagree and not buy it yourself. Don't tell me how to spend my money or what I should or should not like.

Reactions: nvx1977
if you paid for FSD six years ago, at what point do you believe that they will start owing you something?

If someone paid for FSD 6 years ago they would have paid $3K for it.

In exchange they would have gotten

HW2 computer replaced with HW3
The Radar Replaced -> Need confirmation, but I believe so
The Cameras replaced
The MCU upgraded (I think part of the recall meant Tesla had to do it for Free even if they weren't FSD people)

For $3K that aint bad.

Now sure it was a journey of epic proportions with a lot of silent treatment from Tesla.

If someone paid for FSD 6 years ago they would have paid $3K for it.

In exchange they would have gotten

HW2 computer replaced with HW3
The Radar Replaced -> Need confirmation, but I believe so
The Cameras replaced
The MCU upgraded (I think part of the recall meant Tesla had to do it for Free even if they weren't FSD people)

For $3K that aint bad.

Now sure it was a journey of epic proportions with a lot of silent treatment from Tesla.
$3k but you had to buy AP as a $5k option, so $8k, plus a modest cost of investment of 5% per annum, you’re looking at $10,400. For a computer swap. And also, no, Radar, cameras and MCU have not been replaced for free as part of FSD…sorry, you say that ain’t bad, I say it is. Few people hold on to their cars for 6 years, particularly with technology advancing as fast as it is. 2016 FSD buyers were absolutely given a raw deal.

Reactions: KArnold
$3k but you had to buy AP as a $5k option, so $8k, plus a modest cost of investment of 5% per annum, you’re looking at $10,400. For a computer swap. And also, no, Radar, cameras and MCU have not been replaced for free as part of FSD…sorry, you say that ain’t bad, I say it is. Few people hold on to their cars for 6 years, particularly with technology advancing as fast as it is. 2016 FSD buyers were absolutely given a raw deal.

The cameras are being swapped in cars with HW2.

Those who were kicked off beta finally good news on 07-Jan!!
With the release of FSD Beta 10.8.1, Tesla is now resetting all testers' strikes to zero, regardless of how many they had or when they were received.

With beta 10.8.1, Tesla is also increasing the amount of strikes to five, before FSD becomes disabled.

I find it funny how you tell me what is worth it to me. I absolutely get things that I 'objectively' benefit from out of FSD. NOA lane changes = awesome. Green light chime - nice. FSD Beta = awesome. I recently did a 8 hour road trip where the car drove 100% door-to-door both ways. It is worth it *to me*, as is, right now, no future promises. You can disagree and not buy it yourself. Don't tell me how to spend my money or what I should or should not like.
Let me put it this way. If McDonald’s serves drinks half full there will be many that still be satisfied because somehow it works for them. There will be others that complain and finally the message will reach McDonald’s HQ and they will correct it? So it’s very much important that everyone voices their honest opinions. I paid $10K. At this point I enjoy this on highways but the process of getting onto and off highways is not safe yet. So I basically take control. And yes I am on the latest version. Regards to driving automated in a city haha I never paid the $10K expecting that. It may or may not ever happen. With the number of crazy drivers and stuff on the city roads I doubt it will get there unless most of other cars also get automated and the cars start talking with each other. I predict that will happen eventually but YOU DONT FREAKING TAKE CUSTOMER DONATIONS FOR RESEARCH DO YOU??? Would you pay Pfizer to conduct research on the next oncology product? That’s all we are saying. If Elon can guarantee that the promised city drive is happening and “soon” lol then yes I agree. But otherwise the sale ad should NEVER HAVE SAID- COMMING SOOOOON AUTO DRIVE ON CITY!!!! That’s a DREAM and you don’t sell dreams!!!
I do get that YOU are happy but please understand that many are not. It is absolutely necessary that all voices be heard and not just the diehard fans? By the way I am a fan too but balanced

Reactions: gaspi101
Let me put it this way. If McDonald’s serves drinks half full there will be many that still be satisfied because somehow it works for them. There will be others that complain and finally the message will reach McDonald’s HQ and they will correct it? So it’s very much important that everyone voices their honest opinions. I paid $10K. At this point I enjoy this on highways but the process of getting onto and off highways is not safe yet. So I basically take control. And yes I am on the latest version. Regards to driving automated in a city haha I never paid the $10K expecting that. It may or may not ever happen. With the number of crazy drivers and stuff on the city roads I doubt it will get there unless most of other cars also get automated and the cars start talking with each other. I predict that will happen eventually but YOU DONT FREAKING TAKE CUSTOMER DONATIONS FOR RESEARCH DO YOU??? Would you pay Pfizer to conduct research on the next oncology product? That’s all we are saying. If Elon can guarantee that the promised city drive is happening and “soon” lol then yes I agree. But otherwise the sale ad should NEVER HAVE SAID- COMMING SOOOOON AUTO DRIVE ON CITY!!!! That’s a DREAM and you don’t sell dreams!!!
I do get that YOU are happy but please understand that many are not. It is absolutely necessary that all voices be heard and not just the diehard fans? By the way I am a fan too but balanced
I don’t see the “coming soon auto drive on city roads” anymore under FSD description on the ordering page so they have changed that. When I ordered it was there lol

Reactions: gaspi101
Yes, but I was really looking forward to testing this out. I'm a technology consultant. I love this stuff, and appreciate it. If I had ANY idea that I was in danger of losing this software, I would have turned it off ALL the time except when I really wanted to 100% concentrate on the testing. I knew you had to be careful when using it--VERY careful. I was. But I now understand that very careful wasn't enough. It's really several steps beyond that. And now, after reading a ton of information about it, I get it. It really doesn't work well, at all, so you can't look at it as "driving carefully", you have to look at it as "I'm testing faulty software that could easily kill someone." It really seems like alpha software in that respect, not beta. Anyway, I would have really liked to test it out more, and I'm very confident I would have done it correctly now that I completely understand it. Too bad they didn't just send me that email we all heard about, but doesn't seem to exist--at least I never got it, despite lots of other emails from Tesla.
I have FSD and rarely test it / use it. The biggest problem I see with the FSD beta *right now* is it requires you as the driver to drive safely *as defined by Tesla*. In many cases that is not in alignment with the way people actually drive.

As an example, I normally drive closer to the curb than the centerline when in the right- hand lane. Tesla apparently hates that and wants the car just off the centerl8ne, leaving lots of space on the right-hand side. Neither is necessarily wrong, but having driven the way I do for almost fifty years, it’s unnerving sometimes when the Tesla hangs on the centerline.

Best of luck to you - based on the message it sure seems like you’ll be gett8ng FSD back with the next release/update.

Those who were kicked off beta finally good news on 07-Jan!!
With the release of FSD Beta 10.8.1, Tesla is now resetting all testers' strikes to zero, regardless of how many they had or when they were received.

With beta 10.8.1, Tesla is also increasing the amount of strikes to five, before FSD becomes disabled.
Well, I will never see it. I finally got through to Tesla via email and they took me off of the beta program. I'm back to non-FSD firmware. In hindsight, I kind of wish I had waited, but the agony of having no idea when I would see another update was too much. Interestingly after being back on regular firmware, I still have massively sensitive interior camera warnings. I put a piece of paper over the camera and now all is back to normal. I thought pulling out of FSD (opting out) would disable the camera, but I guess that's not how it works.

Just to confirm I got kicked out a couple weeks ago but finally got it back with the latest update!
Lucky for you!

I never was kicked out but seem to be in some purgatory where my car will not update. It is very convinced that 10.2 is the current production build. Meanwhile, I decided to opt-out then opt back into the beta. I have had a score of 100 for the last 3 days, with no change to anything.

I got kicked out too. I was hoping that there was a way to reinstate the safety score test but resetting the strikes will work just fine too! 2021.44.30.5 was released Jan 7, 2022 which was five days ago. I'm still waiting for the update. :(

I guess we all just have to wait for our time in the update queue.

a time machine.

Since FSD hasn't even been available to buy for that long.

We're barely past 5 years for the very earliest buyers, and barely past 3 years for the majority of the fleet (when model 3 starting ramping significantly)
You want to quibble over a few months? From what I read online, FSD was available for purchase since at least October of 2016. We are in January 2022. Do you still drive the same car you drove in 2016? Do you know anyone else that does?

You want to quibble over a few months?

Nearly a full year, FWIW.

We are in January 2022. Do you still drive the same car you drove in 2016? Do you know anyone else that does?

Tons of people yes.

Most of them in fact.

the average new car is kept for 8.4 years

The Lexus I traded in for my Tesla I'd had (bought new) for 11 years. Until the Model 3 there simply wasn't anything on the market worth replacing it with.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
a time machine.

Since FSD hasn't even been available to buy for that long.

We're barely past 5 years for the very earliest buyers, and barely past 3 years for the majority of the fleet (when model 3 starting ramping significantly)

Should I have corrected the poster in saying it's only been available for barely over 5 years?

Maybe.

But, instead I knew what they meant and answered appropriately.

Once its past the 5 year mark it really doesn't make much difference.