Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kids bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nrvna76

MYLR7 Blue/White with Tow. Delivered 11/5.
Aug 20, 2021
Albany NY
I know there are a lot of bike rack threads on here, but they are slightly different than my question and I didn't want to hijack anybody's thread.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a cheap lightweight bike rack compatible with the MY tow hitch that would work for 3 kids bikes? I'm not looking to spend $700 to get my kids to the park, I don't need fancy anti-theft devices, and it doesn't need a high weight rating as my kids are all in elementary school so the bikes are not full size. I'm not sure if just a platform rack is better to strap them down onto or if there are decent smaller racks that anybody has had success with.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had a Reese Explore 4 bike from U-Haul for $99. It is sufficient for 3 bikes and local travel. Not sturdy enough for highway travel or 4 bikes in my opinion.

I am now using a $300 4 bike Tri-Max tray with an 8.5" hitch extender (to enable the hatchback) that I am happy with for the money. There is some setup time required but it is very sturdy and have made several 100+ mile road trips including dirt roads.

A 7" extender may work as well. Definitely get an extender with the TriMax because the threaded bolt and lock it comes with will not fit in the crowded area in the bumper.

Last edited: