Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kid's seat in rear of Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for feedback on putting my son's seat in the back seat of my new (to me) 2013 Model S. The seat is not wide enough to allow him to buckle his seat belt if the car seat is installed. Anyone have any recommendations as to models of seats that work well? He's 7 so we just need the booster seat as he uses the shoulder belt. Thank you.

I had the same issue with my son's booster. The seatbelt receptacle ends up under the seat making it very hard to buckle for him. I moved his seat to the passenger side, where there are 2 receptacles (One for the outboard seat and one for the middle) and he can get at it a little better. Ultimately I ended up getting him a 3" rigid seatbelt extender and now he has no problem at all. I know that seatbelt extenders aren't recommended for use with booster seats, however the tesla buckles are so low that the 3" extender ends up right about were the seatbelt should be and doesn't change the belt path at all.

Good luck

This is the extender I got. 3" rigid.
Tesla Model S Seat Belt Extender

We got seat belt extenders from OEM Extenders on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Exten...&sr=1-10&keywords=oem+extenders+tesla+model+s). I emailed them prior to purchasing to make sure it would fit my model (which varied from the models found), and they were quick to respond.

When you move to boosters, the Cosco booster (https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Topsid...&qid=1521488361&sr=8-2&keywords=cosco+booster) will fit without covering the clips. The extenders are not necessary then, but they are so recessed, the extenders make like much easier for the child.

Note that you will lose Tesla's seat belt warning when using these extenders (they will always be bucked up).

I had the same issue with my son's booster. The seatbelt receptacle ends up under the seat making it very hard to buckle for him. I moved his seat to the passenger side, where there are 2 receptacles (One for the outboard seat and one for the middle) and he can get at it a little better. Ultimately I ended up getting him a 3" rigid seatbelt extender and now he has no problem at all. I know that seatbelt extenders aren't recommended for use with booster seats, however the tesla buckles are so low that the 3" extender ends up right about were the seatbelt should be and doesn't change the belt path at all.

Good luck

This is the extender I got. 3" rigid.
Tesla Model S Seat Belt Extender

Just purchased! Thanks for the info.

So you are aware, car seats do not get tested and certified with seat belt extenders. I just went through this a month ago and just didn’t feel comfortable using extenders that weren’t put through the ringers.

I ended up purchasing this seat which is narrow and does allow access to the seat belts which are embedded in the seats:(according to Maxi-cosi’s site it’s not compatible with Tesla’s because of our headrests, but it fits fine). It’s a bit expensive, but quality European made and my son loves it.

Maxi-Cosi RodiFix Booster Car Seat, Devoted Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K3KUO0M?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Last edited:
If you're looking for a high back booster, I've been using the Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120 (https://www.amazon.com/Peg-Perego-V...d=1521775351&sr=8-1&keywords=viaggio+flex+120). It is definitely pricey, but the base is narrow enough not to cover the seat belt receptacles, and contrary to the RodiFix, it is compatible with the headrests. As a nice bonus, it is foldable and fairly compact.

2 caveats: I have a late 2017 Model S with the refreshed back seat, so fit on the older bench may be different. Also, you can't use the rigid latch connector to secure the seat to the car (to avoid it becoming a projectile when unoccupied in case of accident), because the LATCH anchors are too high on the S. That being said, the Tesla owner manual forbids to use LATCH with booster seats anyway...