Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Killington, Vermont - Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went skiing at Killington over the weekend. Great conditions. They'll have some good spring skiing if it ever warms up. I got a chance to swing by The Grand Hotel and check out the so-called charging they installed. It's nothing more than a couple of 110v GFI outlets piggybacked on the wiring to a lamp post. The sad part is they obviously spent a lot of money on it, for something so useless. It looks nice - housed in a very tastefully done tiny wooden shelter with a wooden sign. It has a very large emergency cutoff switch which looks really funny next to the two tiny outlets it serves. It's sad they never got any good advice about what they needed to install. My fear is now they are probably thinking it was all a waste of time since nobody uses it.

I'd still use those 110v outlets, just to keep the battery warm. Last winter I drove to the Northfield Mt.Hermon School for my son's wrestling meet on a bitterly cold day in January. The maintenance team let me plug in to a 110v outlet. I may have gained only 10 miles of range during the 6 hour meet, but the battery and cabin was fully warm, which probably saved me another 10 miles or more in range. So, a 110v doesn't suddenly mean that you can drive 200 miles each way to the ski resort, but it does add 20 miles or so of effective range (which might just be enough).

Still, a shame they didn't spend an extra 20% to get 7 times more power to these spots.

when i contacted them a few months ago they said they were being installed at the Grand Hotel, not sure if they are actually up and running since i just traded in my s for the s85d....patiently waiting til feb/march......heheh can anyone confirm chargers at killington?
Two Level 2 chargers are showing on the Chargepoint map, which is usually very accurate.
KILLINGTON PICO SKI RESORT
228 E Mountain Rd
Killington, VT
ic_network_chargepoint_mdpi.png

Level 2, J1772, 6.6 kW
Level 2, J1772, 6.6 kW

Killington Grand Hotel lower parking lot first 2 parking stalls on the left

I spoke to Wilbur, who owns Equipe Sport at Stratton and Okemo. He is talking about putting in two level 2 chargers at the Route 100 / 30 junction store. Not destination charging per se at Stratton, but something.

Also, if you are ever in desperate need, I've got a NEMA 14-30 at my place off the back of Stratton's sunbowl. It only pulls 24 amps, but is good in a pinch / for an overnight (I get to 90% SOC overnight with it unless it is REALLY cold out and my SOC is way low when I get to the house). PM me if you are in need. I've not put it on PlugShare, as the house isn't always occupied and that can get a little risky.

I spoke to Wilbur, who owns Equipe Sport at Stratton and Okemo. He is talking about putting in two level 2 chargers at the Route 100 / 30 junction store. Not destination charging per se at Stratton, but something.

Also, if you are ever in desperate need, I've got a NEMA 14-30 at my place off the back of Stratton's sunbowl. It only pulls 24 amps, but is good in a pinch / for an overnight (I get to 90% SOC overnight with it unless it is REALLY cold out and my SOC is way low when I get to the house). PM me if you are in need. I've not put it on PlugShare, as the house isn't always occupied and that can get a little risky.

Thanks....the brattleboro sc should be up soon as well

For spring break, we caught a few days of great skiing and used the SC at Brattleboro, as well as the J1772s at Stowe (22mph) and Killington (13mph), and the 14-50 at Bretton Woods. While we had no problems, our MS85 was one of the three Teslas at Killington one Saturday night, and the valet staff had to shuffle the cars at the two-unit J1772 (my apologies to the MS owner that got woken up at night to retrieve his key fob). Some of the chargers are very slow, e.g., the J1772 at Killington’s Grand Resort Hotel would take you more than 18 hours for max charge in the MS85.

The valet staff at Killington was extremely helpful, and most MS owners will be cooperative, but it will be a mess if 4 or 5 Teslas show up on the same weekend, all expecting to use the same charger. West Lebanon's SC is already in the permit phase and Burlington is on the Tesla map for completion sometime in 2015, so more MS owners will make the trek and expect to charge at the slopes. And then there are the vast wastelands on the Plug Share map -- e.g., Jay Peak, Sunday River and Sugarloaf.

What can we do to get more EV capacity at these and other ski hills ready for next winter? Somebody on this forum must be capable of organizing us to do this. Otherwise, there could be some long EV queues at the slopes.

For spring break, we caught a few days of great skiing and used the SC at Brattleboro, as well as the J1772s at Stowe (22mph) and Killington (13mph), and the 14-50 at Bretton Woods. While we had no problems, our MS85 was one of the three Teslas at Killington one Saturday night, and the valet staff had to shuffle the cars at the two-unit J1772 (my apologies to the MS owner that got woken up at night to retrieve his key fob). Some of the chargers are very slow, e.g., the J1772 at Killington’s Grand Resort Hotel would take you more than 18 hours for max charge in the MS85.

The valet staff at Killington was extremely helpful, and most MS owners will be cooperative, but it will be a mess if 4 or 5 Teslas show up on the same weekend, all expecting to use the same charger. West Lebanon's SC is already in the permit phase and Burlington is on the Tesla map for completion sometime in 2015, so more MS owners will make the trek and expect to charge at the slopes. And then there are the vast wastelands on the Plug Share map -- e.g., Jay Peak, Sunday River and Sugarloaf.

What can we do to get more EV capacity at these and other ski hills ready for next winter? Somebody on this forum must be capable of organizing us to do this. Otherwise, there could be some long EV queues at the slopes.

I'm planning to head up to Killington this weekend. What type of watt/hrs did u get heading up the type of elevation? And did u go speed limit? Just curious, I went up to mount snow last weekend and had an avg of 420.....going about 80 the whole way. 32 degrees in the morning.....heading back home it was about 60degrees so I got about 390.

I plan to do a 90% charge at brattleboro and if I really need extra coming back. I might hit up a hpwc or a chademo since I have the adapter. But I should be good. But yea I ran into a similar issue when I went up to Windham mountain. 2 chargers only and there were 5 teslas. Plus it was about 6 degrees. I was lucky enough to have one of those chargers and hit up a plugshare 14-50 on the way home to have just enough to make it to the Paramus nj sc. Luckily the newburgh sc will be up good for next winter season.