Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kim Komando staff article-very pessimistic in nature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She has a point. Tesla is doomed If Tesla can't find a way to keep cost down and deliver the M3 on or ahead of schedule. The tree hugger will hold out for the M3 but the average buyer is not going to wait three years for a car. The excitement for the casual fan is already wearing off. I need a car in the next year or so and I simply can't hold out if delivery is delayed.

Plus lets be honest here, if they can't deliver some base model cars (say between $35K-$40K) within a reasonable time after launch the press will roast them (and the stock shorters will follow). I'm not saying that is fair, but what they did with the X orders won't play out that well for the 3.

I'm not saying all cars absolutely must be delivered in the order they were reserved (taking into account geo location), just that if when the midwest starts getting cars before any $35-$40K models have shipped on the west coast it will look bad.

A $35K car is a stretch for a lot of folks out there, and I'll bet many of them are banking on the tax credit (wise idea or not). They need to ship a few of them at least if not just to keep the press and short sellers off their backs.

What I believe is most true about that article is the analysis of quality and reliability of Teslas. Once you get past the die hard enthusiasts who will go to hell and back with Elon, the reality is that we are now opening up to a new market that consists of people who just want what Tesla has to offer, but are not diehard fanboys. These people will be VERY unforgiving and thus the press will be very unforgiving if Tesla continues to have actual or perceived reliability problems. Consumer Reports even changed their recommendation status on Tesla S. I do not like them, but they are more closely aligned to the average consumer.

Launching is not the only story here. If they launch and the reliability is an utter disaster on the scale of British vehicles traditionally, the investors will cut off the gravy train and they are finished. If the reliability at launch is more on the FCA scale, people might be willing to forgive them but I honestly do not believe Tesla will have the logistics in place yet to handle that many repairs and problems with this being mass produced on a far larger scale.

Does anyone listen to Kim Kommando any more?

I thought she had retired. Our local station, which I don't listen to anymore, dropped her. Probably had bad ratings.

In any event, if she doesn't find some way to be relevant in the future, she is doomed.

Which of course is why she is desperately looking to transfer her relevance from something she knew about, i.e. PCs, to something she doesn't.

Got everyone's attention didn't it? She just extended her career by a few days at least.

OK, just looked up her ratings.

A top tier show like NPR Morning Edition , and conservative talker Rush Limbaugh brings in 13million listeners.

Sean Hannity and NPR All things Considered have about 12 million.

Kim Kommando is tied with Bubba the Love Sponge for 1.5 million.

So she is on the map, but barely.

Last edited:
The great team at TM will do everything in their power to deliver on time with the highest possible quality. Yes, there is going to be pain, strife and the occasional spats; but they'll get over their bad selves and pull it out. If you ever meet anyone in Tesla Engineering give'em a high five as the next two years are going to be tough, suck at times with all nighters in the factory (several most likely) and a whole bunch of uncomfortable meetings, but they will prevail because they are there for the vision, the purpose and the hope of a cleaner tomorrow.

The first 400,000 are pretty much us true believers. After the first 400,000 are sold and production becomes available to the "normal" folks (late 2018 or into 2019), Tesla and company will have ironed out all the kinks.

I am one of the 400,000, one that waited on launch day as well. Its be honest here, if they do anything close to anything like the model X delivers there will be plenty of people canceling their orders. I think elon should be giving out updates or process tweets everyone few months to keep the reservers satisfied and somewhat excited.

Who's Kim komando?

Here you go:

kingkomodo.jpg

EDIT: Oh, wait, that's King Komodo... my bad. Well, then, I have no idea who Kim Komando is. :p

Did I look at the right article, because it was only 3 paragraphs and lots of click bait. Anyway, I agree that Ms. Commando (LOL) just stating the obvious. The US is a consumer driven society and you do not want to "piss off" your clients. Point being I am beyond disappointed with VW for the Sh*t storm caused by dieselgate. My current DD is my second Touareg, and most certainly my last (and my last VAG vehicle to make it clear). As for Tesla's growing pains, I am willing to patiently wait, but if the M3 turns out to be a disappointment, they're done for me.

Who's Kim komando?

Ditto. Didn't even bother to click on the link (click bait). I'm assuming it's the same tired old bollocks, must deliver on time, can't make the same mistakes etc etc. Well Tesla has already said that right? For crying out loud they've got it. No crazy falcon wing doors, they admitted to hubris with the X and hence the delays.

They've got it, why? Because they are a for profit Company trying to sell a new product into an established market. They've already smashed said market with everything they've done so why is anyone doubting them now? Proven twice. Anyone who want's to argue they didn't smash it with the X well just look at the sales. Even with delays, production issues and more they're still selling a butt tonne of them and will continue to. I can't anywhere near afford a model X and yet I daily recast my budget to see if I can fit it :). One day one of those zeros will slip and I'll buy one (and give up take away coffee and eating out for 5 years). I feel that's success no? Or do you state Tesla has failed to deliver?

Model III reservers are in. 400000 of us. And we're expecting 2 years before we get a car. If we hit 2 years and it takes another couple of months I think we'll pretty much suck it up and wait because look at what we're getting.

Gigafactory? There seems to be a whopping great building out in the desert, ahead of schedule. Tesla can now throw a huge amount of money at building out the Gigafactory and expanding into the other parts of it's factory that used to be able to product 500K cars per annum. It's down to money IMHO and I think banks will be lining up to throw cheap money at them given the billions of dollars of pre-sold cars they have.

A $35K car is a stretch for a lot of folks out there, and I'll bet many of them are banking on the tax credit (wise idea or not). They need to ship a few of them at least if not just to keep the press and short sellers off their backs.

I keep seeing people say this but it makes no sense. If a $35,000 car is a stretch based off income, there's no way you're getting the tax credit.

Tesla has said that they have learned from Model S & X mistakes. Elon has also said that given the demand (approx. 400000 reservations) that they will rethink the production Ramp. So that said:
I believe the car is largely complete; exterior will have the new trademark Model X and now S grill. Minor tweaks to front and hatch. Otherwise very similar to Model X lines.
Based on Tweets from Elon and comments from engineers doing test drives on reveal night, many interior elements have been finalized.
The car will be finalized by the end of the year. Elon will Present Part 2 of the reveal in March 2017 with production starting in the summer.

I think the biggest hurdle will be getting the Gigafactory to produce batteries quick enough.