Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kinda disappointed that I have 5.5% degradation after 18k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title states, I’m disappointed that after 18k miles, my car already has 5.5 % degradation. When it was new, charging to 70% was 220 or 221 miles (about 315 at 100 %)

Now I’m only getting 209 miles which would give me about 298 miles at 100%. Thought I was taking good care of the battery, charge every night to 70 %, use super chargers infrequently and rarely charge over 90%.

From what I’ve read, I’m in the range of what is to be expected, but have more degradation than most? Charging habits don’t really predict degradation well anyway??

charged to 100% once and only got 300miles but drove it immediately after it finished charging. Maybe I should allow it to stay there for an hour or two before I disconnect to allow it to balance the cells? I've read different opinions about balancing (occurs after 93% SOC v. BMS does it constantly regardless of SOC)

charged to 100% once and only got 300miles but drove it immediately after it finished charging. Maybe I should allow it to stay there for an hour or two before I disconnect to allow it to balance the cells? I've read different opinions about balancing (occurs after 93% SOC v. BMS does it constantly regardless of SOC)

You might try charging to 100% once more and drive it immediately after the charge completes. You can then drive to a 20% charge level and see if that helps to calibrate it. I try to charge to 100% once or twice yearly.

You might not actually have any loss in this case since it looks like you've treated your car really well. It could be more of a range calibration item.

Reactions: Raechris
As the title states, I’m disappointed that after 18k miles, my car already has 5.5 % degradation. When it was new, charging to 70% was 220 or 221 miles (about 315 at 100 %)

Now I’m only getting 209 miles which would give me about 298 miles at 100%. Thought I was taking good care of the battery, charge every night to 70 %, use super chargers infrequently and rarely charge over 90%.

From what I’ve read, I’m in the range of what is to be expected, but have more degradation than most? Charging habits don’t really predict degradation well anyway??

I'll bet most if not all of it is actually the software cap that locks out the top end of your battery introduced in V9. Do you know what your cell voltage is at 90 or 100%?

I'm also at 5.5% degradation but that's after 114K miles. When I'm forced to install V10 over V8, I'll probably have a very large drop.

• Disagree
Reactions: tomas and MP3Mike
I'll bet most if not all of it is actually the software cap that locks out the top end of your battery introduced in V9. Do you know what your cell voltage is at 90 or 100%?

I'm also at 5.5% degradation but that's after 114K miles. When I'm forced to install V10 over V8, I'll probably have a very large drop.

Don’t do it!
5542DA93-2B0D-40FE-929D-DFCC333BE1A4.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: sorka