Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kinda disappointed that I have 5.5% degradation after 18k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has never handed out incorrect information before.
You're the only one experiencing imaginary effects.

I'm sorry if my facts don't line up with your theory.
You don't have facts. You have opinions, and ones that are not even properly expressed. You are one of those people who thinks something is true because you "believe" it. Go listen to some Cher.

a quick update. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my battery since at 80% it's only 232mi which would make my 100% 290 miles which is about 8% degradation.... It used to be 315
Still no.

First, you’re not going to get reasonable results from the range estimator if you keep your car in a narrow charge band and rarely if ever charge to 100%. It’s called a range “estimate” for a reason.

Second, if there’s “something wrong” with your battery it will eventually fail, throw an error message, and be dealt with under the terms of the warranty. Until then, nothing is wrong, and your car has no warranty against battery degradation in any case, so trying to convince Tesla otherwise will be a supreme waste of your time.

If you’re really worried about it you could cross your fingers and drive super gentle for the next few hundred miles, in which case you’ll trigger @jelloslug ’s super secret undocumented range restoration feature that he’s really super sure is a real thing despite Tesla’s own documentation saying otherwise, but hey, why not? (Really, don’t do this, it won’t work)

Still no.

First, you’re not going to get reasonable results from the range estimator if you keep your car in a narrow charge band and rarely if ever charge to 100%. It’s called a range “estimate” for a reason.

Second, if there’s “something wrong” with your battery it will eventually fail, throw an error message, and be dealt with under the terms of the warranty. Until then, nothing is wrong, and your car has no warranty against battery degradation in any case, so trying to convince Tesla otherwise will be a supreme waste of your time.

If you’re really worried about it you could cross your fingers and drive super gentle for the next few hundred miles, in which case you’ll trigger @jelloslug ’s super secret undocumented range restoration feature that he’s really super sure is a real thing despite Tesla’s own documentation saying otherwise, but hey, why not? (Really, don’t do this, it won’t work)
Few thousand miles. My wife's 3 has already gained 7 miles of indicated range from the recent more efficient driving that we have been doing over the last few months.

It's worth pointing out that Model 3 battery warranty is not 8 years/unlimited miles like Model S/X. It is 8 years and 100,000-120,000 miles (depending on which model you buy). Just differentiating. For many, mileage will be the determining factor.

;) (and I'm dying laughing at your excellent use of sarcasm)

Few thousand miles. My wife's 3 has already gained 7 miles of indicated range from the recent more efficient driving that we have been doing over the last few months.
^^^ DELUSIONAL individual who does not understand basics of seasonal range differences due to temperature and internal battery resistance, instead believing his car has magical powers.

The last several months I have had the best driving efficiency ever with my car and I have been losing rated miles at the same time.
There is also an entire #batterygate thread filled with owners who track every kWh of their battery over time, as well as rated range, and there is absolutely zero correlation between the rated range display and driving habits. Rate range display always lines up with available pack energy, except when there is a slight calibration issue due to repeated charging cycles in a limited range.

Reactions: aerodyne
My 2019 Model S 100D that just turned 1 year old has 5.87% degradation in 25k miles. Only super charge 2-3 times a few months when going to Los Angeles or Lake Tahoe.

FhdaZpg.png

As the title states, I’m disappointed that after 18k miles, my car already has 5.5 % degradation. When it was new, charging to 70% was 220 or 221 miles (about 315 at 100 %)

Now I’m only getting 209 miles which would give me about 298 miles at 100%. Thought I was taking good care of the battery, charge every night to 70 %, use super chargers infrequently and rarely charge over 90%.

From what I’ve read, I’m in the range of what is to be expected, but have more degradation than most? Charging habits don’t really predict degradation well anyway??
Your actual battery degradation could be much worse. The cars display of range may not account for all of the battery degradation. My 2016 Model S at 6 months of age had 15% battery degradation. Yet the display of full charge range was close to that of a brand new car.

My 2019 Model S 100D that just turned 1 year old has 5.87% degradation in 25k miles. Only super charge 2-3 times a few months when going to Los Angeles or Lake Tahoe.

FhdaZpg.png
You are assuming that the cars display of range at full charge is an accurate reflection of battery capacity and battery degradation. Battery degradation could be much worse. My cars display of full charge range is about 5% less than when new. But the battery has lost about 15% of its capacity.

My 2018 100d will hit 18k miles and about two years old. My degradation is about 6%.

My 100% charge is 314 miles out of the original 335 that it had when I got it new.
Change of displayed full charge range may not reveal all of the battery degradation. My early 2016 90D still shows a full charge range just a few miles less than when the car was new. But in fact, the battery has lost 15% of its capacity.

people use range at 90% or 100% to estimate degradation because they know what it was when they first got the car and what it is presently. I suppose that it's somewhat irrelevant for most people since they cannot attain EPA range in the real world so "range" is somewhat of a myth but at least it gives the owner some idea of the present battery capacity v. capacity when it was new. Like I said in an earlier post, battery degradation is a part of owning an electric car. Just disappointed since I thought that I was taking good care of the battery but I've read that degradation is more luck than anything else...
Using full charge range to estimate battery degradation may result in a mistaken idea that battery degradation is minimal. Actual battery degradation may be much more than suggested by the tiny reductions in the display of full charge range

My Nominal Battery Capacity is 88 kW, its a 2017 July Model S 100 D with 32K miles, I have seen multiple people saw how their 2012 models have not lost much range.. but everyone knows Tesla constantly updates/upgrades their battery technology. This is my results. Your results may vary.. Most of the drops noticed were correlated with long trips where I had to charge the car multiple times DC charging in a single day. I am not happy with my battery degradation.

Note: I have more DC charging than AC Charging..
I suspect that many owners would be surprised and disappointed by the extent of their battery degradation. If they knew what it really was. (My car shows a 5% decrease of rated range while it has 15% degradation) The display of full charge range gives false assurance of minimal degradation. Bottom line is that on average Model S owners get about 70% of Rated Range. TezLab

a quick update. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my battery since at 80% it's only 232mi which would make my 100% 290 miles which is about 8% degradation.... It used to be 315
Many of us have found unexpectedly large loss of battery capacity (and loss of range). Battery degradation may or may not be revealed by a decrease in the displayed full charge range. If you ask Tesla, they will say nothing is "wrong" with your battery until or unless a fault is displayed. However, some of us consider it "wrong" that our cars battery lost 15% of its capacity at 6 months of age.

Many of us have found unexpectedly large loss of battery capacity (and loss of range). Battery degradation may or may not be revealed by a decrease in the displayed full charge range. If you ask Tesla, they will say nothing is "wrong" with your battery until or unless a fault is displayed. However, some of us consider it "wrong" that our cars battery lost 15% of its capacity at 6 months of age.

Super big thanks for pointing this out 20 times in the same thread. Might have missed the first 19.

What data are you using to conclude your battery has lost 15% of its capacity?

Super big thanks for pointing this out 20 times in the same thread. Might have missed the first 19.

Allow me to jump in....here is my data, sorry if I mentioned it before.

I like to believe Tesla is being honest, takes repeated looks at data to believe otherwise.

Actual usable/new usable capacity 71.5/77.5 KwH

Actual RM/new RM is 266/270 miles

Math not required to see there is a difference...

Yes, I know that I said the same thing a few times. I felt if appropriate because it appears that many readers read only replies to their own messages. Also, the fallacy of rated range display accurately revealing battery degradation is so widespread, and recurs so frequently that frequent reminders seem necessary.
I bought my 2016 Model S as a fully warranted dealer demo/inventory car with 6 months of age and 7,000 miles. I noticed immediately that despite the full charge Rated Range display of 275 miles, I was only getting about 200 miles of range. I knew that I was probably driving less efficiently than was needed to achieve the Rated Range. But the discrepancy seemed too great. So after looking closely at my wh/mile and finding the cars display of kwh used since last charge I was able to determine that my cars usable battery capacity was 72-73 kwh. This value appeared with every calculation over a wide range of charge states and driving conditions. I took one 190 mile test trip with the sole purpose of trying to maximize range. Temp 65F, modest driving speeds, minimal hills. I managed to get my wh/mile down to around 325. My actual full charge range (extrapolating to use up the last few percent of SOC) would have been 220 miles.
Bottom line. My real range is about 70% of Rated Range. About 15% of this deficiency is from being unable to meet the Rated wh/mi (My typical us about 350). And 15% of the shortfall is due to loss of battery capacity. All the while, my cars display of full charge range is still around 270 miles (down from the original 280).