Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kindly help - X (2019-2022 range) differences esp vs Model Y ‘23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, apologies for another “differences” thread at the outset. I’m very familiar with 3 and Y but clueless with Model X in general, and esp 2019-2023 upgrades (falcon wings and that no-stalk, and yoke wheel… drew me away)

Can I request what I may miss if going for used 2019/21 used X. I’m aware of landscape/portrait screens, yoke steering (uggghh) and have some idea on HW 2.0/2.5 thing (was an issue soem years back I guess) - so aside from this what would I find different compared to latest Y

My focus -
more range, the better
6 or 7 seater (car seats/kids)
Don’t care about USS, or slightly slow screen/interface
Air Suspension is a huge + that’s given
Even some slow SC is fine

Having driven Model 3 for over 4 years (needing more space now) - Id appreciate all the nuances/“features” that I may experience with used X from 19-22 range (hate hate yoke wheel, and not a fan of falcon doors.. but needs change). All ears - Thanks to this wonderful community.

PS - I leaned for a Y for its energy/battery efficiency (energy used per mile). It makes more sense except for space issue.

@AJ.. I have had a model 3 about the same length of time as you have. I have also had a model X during that time. Compared to the 3/Y, some things you might miss in a legacy X:
  • Cupholders in a useable location.
  • A good place for multiple cell phones to rest/charge
  • A sun visor you can quickly flick down
  • Controls for autopilot are notably different… I have more than once or twice inadvertently switched into neutral while driving my X
  • Front curb visibility is significantly worse. I almost always back in to parking spaces in my X so I can see well enough with the rear camera.
  • No arm rest for back seat passengers.
BTW I once said I would never consider buying an X because of the falcon wing doors. I thought they were showy and stupid. 5.5 years later, I rather like them. Have had no trouble with them. They make it crazy easy to load things into the car. I now find myself easily annoyed at cars with regular doors… just can’t open them far enough to get them out of the way.

I really miss not being able to use my phone as key for older S/X. Need to carry the key fob to get doors to Auto Unlock. But what’s also annoying about carrying the key fob is every time you walk near the car it will beep and unfold the mirrors. The car is parked in such a way that I pass by it going to things like gardening, trash, getting the mail, etc. anyway, it’s nice to have the phone as key and not have it do anything until I push a door handle like the 3/Y.

At first, Tesla only gave me one key fob. They said that I can use the app to unlock and start the car if I didn’t have the key fob. Yes, that works, but no way was I going to wait 30 seconds for the car to wake up, press unlock, and then start to drive. I was able to get a second key fob from Tesla for free. yay.

Navigation is also a bit quirky on the dual screens. The visual that shows the correct lane to be in is on the display in front of the steering wheel, and removed from the big screen.

Not confirmed, but I think there are differences in how zoomed in/out the route is between the two. The X steering wheel lcd shows a more zoomed in view and the main screen is zoomed out.

These are just examples of getting used to how it’s presented in one car can throw you off in the other because it’s slightly different.

Last edited:
Controls for autopilot are notably different… I have more than once or twice inadvertently switched into neutral while driving my X
I would love it if they could give us a setting to use the 3/Y/22+ control scheme. No reason we couldn’t activate AP the same way as the updated cars. The jog dials don’t have left right built in but you could use the physical buttons instead. Not sure how the 22+ update the little widgets in the steering wheel screen, but I’d be in favor of getting rid of those if I could update my control scheme.

I would love it if they could give us a setting to use the 3/Y/22+ control scheme. No reason we couldn’t activate AP the same way as the updated cars. The jog dials don’t have left right built in but you could use the physical buttons instead. Not sure how the 22+ update the little widgets in the steering wheel screen, but I’d be in favor of getting rid of those if I could update my control scheme.
Actually they did exactly that with the refresh models (2022+ X and S). All you need to do is buy the current model. Tesla is known for developing and deploying features on one model, then releasing it on others later. Unfortunately, in this case, you bought a vehicle with older tech, and got bit.

The Model X 22-23 refresh interior to me feels like a much more premium vehicle. The portrait screen on the old one and a regular steering wheel with all the buttons, stalks, etc. really does feel outdated.

I thought I would hate the yoke, but I love it. Thought I would hate no stalks, but it's really nice without them. The falcon wing doors are very nice to load kids in and out of. Not everything is perfect on the refresh model, for example the walk up easy entry doors are hit and miss. The interior doesn't squeak, but the car flexes and you can hear the rubbing and fitment of the interior over certain roads and driveways.

The Model 3/Y are due for an interior/exterior redesign. Those vehicles do not feel like a premium vehicle in my honest opinion. I would much rather drop 100k on an X than 55k on a Model Y - to me it's that much difference between the comfort and quality of the materials in the X.

My X is the 5 seater gets 351 miles range, and it does a great job getting close to that number on interstate driving. The 6 seat variant will have you losing a few miles likely due to climate control and more payload. My lifetime WH/Mi is currently 292 in my X.

I've only put 3k miles on my car, but if it continues to impress me and be a reliable vehicle I would likely be in the market to upgrade in 3-4 more years when the next refresh is out. It's an excellent vehicle.

Last edited:
The Model X 22-23 refresh interior to me feels like a much more premium vehicle. The portrait screen on the old one and a regular steering wheel with all the buttons, stalks, etc. really does feel outdated.

I thought I would hate the yoke, but I love it. Thought I would hate no stalks, but it's really nice without them. The falcon wing doors are very nice to load kids in and out of. Not everything is perfect on the refresh model, for example the walk up easy entry doors are hit and miss. The interior doesn't squeak, but the car flexes and you can hear the rubbing and fitment of the interior over certain roads and driveways.

The Model 3/Y are due for an interior/exterior redesign. Those vehicles do not feel like a premium vehicle in my honest opinion. I would much rather drop 100k on an X than 55k on a Model Y - to me it's that much difference between the comfort and quality of the materials in the X.

My X is the 5 seater gets 351 miles range, and it does a great job getting close to that number on interstate driving. The 6 seat variant will have you losing a few miles likely due to climate control and more payload. My lifetime WH/Mi is currently 292 in my X.

I've only put 3k miles on my car, but if it continues to impress me and be a reliable vehicle I would likely be in the market to upgrade in 3-4 more years when the next refresh is out. It's an excellent vehicle.
Given things at my end - I’d love stalk and regular non yoke steering. Less things to learn over what we know already - the better :)

Can I get >350 m range on 2021 X (I see there is some LR and then LR+) ? And wondering how many miles I lose with 6/7 seater?

Is air suspension same on ‘20/‘21 models vs ‘23?
Feature wise what would be the differences between a 20 or 21 model X vs a 23 model X? (Is “refresh” only interior/look and feel thing?)

Given things at my end - I’d love stalk and regular non yoke steering. Less things to learn over what we know already - the better :)

Can I get >350 m range on 2021 X (I see there is some LR and then LR+) ? And wondering how many miles I lose with 6/7 seater?

Is air suspension same on ‘20/‘21 models vs ‘23?
Feature wise what would be the differences between a 20 or 21 model X vs a 23 model X? (Is “refresh” only interior/look and feel thing?)

I would say you'll be under 350 miles with the 2021 X LR, unless you drive 50mph everywhere. If I'm not mistaken as well, the pre refresh model x uses resistive heaters (huge energy draw in winter).

Air suspension as far as I know is the same, however, Tesla is always improving their designs to limit field failure so I'd imagine buying the latest and greatest of a now 8 year old model will provide the newest and hopefully most robust components.

I'm just speculating!

Reactions: AJ..
I would say you'll be under 350 miles with the 2021 X LR, unless you drive 50mph everywhere. If I'm not mistaken as well, the pre refresh model x uses resistive heaters (huge energy draw in winter).

Air suspension as far as I know is the same, however, Tesla is always improving their designs to limit field failure so I'd imagine buying the latest and greatest of a now 8 year old model will provide the newest and hopefully most robust components.

I'm just speculating!
What is the “refresh” (year?) that you refer to?
And also what is “pre Raven” reference? rather what is “Raven” (chip?)

What is the “refresh” (year?) that you refer to?
And also what is “pre Raven” reference? rather what is “Raven” (chip?)
Refresh means any vehicle with a landscape screens, late 2021 and beyond, all motors permanent magnet. 670 HP, 1020 HP Plaid. Ravens are considered legacy model X/S, though newer with one permanent magnet motor (front I believe). Raven brought true one pedal driving to the party. Pre-Raven had neither of those features. up through very early 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash and AJ..
My thoughts on this are now that you can get a wheel on the refresh cars easily (I predict a lot of dealer stock getting the retrofit once paying customers sick of the yoke and/or sick of the yoke's upholstery coming apart are done selling it out) - if you road trip a lot, get the refresh. The charging speed is a huge leap forward compared to the Raven. Raven can (and does, mine does) charge above 200kw, but it will only hold those fast speeds for long enough to add 10-15%, then it's back to ~100-130kw at best until it ramps down above 70% . The refresh cars start off fast and hold blazing fast charge speeds pretty deep into the SoC of the pack. And the refresh cars, even the base cars, are way, way faster.

If you don't care about those things or don't want to pay for them, pick the best used Raven you can find in the configuration you want, and be happy. IMO you're not missing out on anything meaningful, range/performance/charge speed aside. The doors have been reliable on mine so far, 2.5 years and 34,000 miles later it's probably the least-unreliable thing on the car honestly

Personally, I'm shopping for a Raven Performance 7-seater if ours gets totalled tomorrow. What was a $20,000 upcharge brand new in 2020 is now only a $5-6k premium on the used market

Compared to Y, I really don't know what to tell you. Unless you need the space, or don't like the Y's ride/handling tradeoffs or interior, get a Y instead of an X. It's a better-realized product overall, even though I love the big dumb ridiculous X

Reactions: RoBoRaT and AJ..
Refresh means any vehicle with a landscape screens, late 2021 and beyond, all motors permanent magnet. 670 HP, 1020 HP Plaid. Ravens are considered legacy model X/S, though newer with one permanent magnet motor (front I believe). Raven brought true one pedal driving to the party. Pre-Raven had neither of those features. up through very early 2019.

Am I correct in saying it also had adaptive air suspension? It did not have the heat pump yet, correct?

Raven doesn’t have a heat pump but does have adaptive dampers with variable ride height air springs - I don’t know if any ravens got steel springs but I don’t think so

Pre-Raven has “dumb” dampers with optional variable ride height air springs

Last edited:
Couple follow up queries -
1. Is there a way to know whether it’s a refresh (late 2021) model X based on the VIN itself ?

2. So upgrades would be in below time order

Pre Raven (earlier than 2020?) > Raven (2020 and early 2021?) > “Refresh” (late 2021 with new landscape screens as one key identifier) > “Palladium” (2022 and beyond?)

Any help with info on decoding VIN with above upgrades will be appreciated. Thanks!

Based on VIN alone, I don't think anybody has isolated the last VIN from the old cars, but it's pretty easy to tell from a single photo of either the interior or exterior. Different trim, bumper covers, wheels on the refreshed cars. Different badging on the trunklid for Ravens (Dual Motor badging started with the Raven updates)

Palladium was the internal project name, supposedly, for X/S mid-cycle refresh.

Reactions: Genie and AJ..
Got some info from this wonderful site and for those in similar boat who’d like to know

Tesla Model S and X Update History​

Since 2019, Tesla has been slowly improving the Model S and X. Here’s a quick summary of past updates if you’re considering buying a used model, for example.

• April 2019 – Model S and X now have FSD Computer, and get the “Raven” update that includes a new active suspension, longer range and faster charging
  • February 2020 – Tesla releases Tesla Model S/X “Long Range Plus” variants with 390/351 range with a software update released in March to reflect that increase.
  • October 2020 – Model X gets 371 mile range, Model S price drop. The Plaid Model S will use the new 4680 cells and structural battery pack at the end of 2021.
  • January 2021 – Major new interior designs released for Model S and Model X!
  • May 2021 – Refreshed Model S and X delivery dates showing 2022 on Tesla’s site, while Plaid Model S begins deliveries starting in June.
  • June 2021 – Model S Plaid deliveries begin. Model S Plaid+ canceled (Plaid still available)
  • October 2021 – New Model X deliveries begin (slowly).

Reactions: Pacernow