TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Kiva [Micro-lending to the less fortunate] [TMC Team?]

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zaxxon, May 17, 2017.

1. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

I've long been a lending participant over at Kiva, one of my favorite 'charities'. Kiva is a microfinance group that takes lending funds from folks like you and me and provides it interest-free to on-the-ground partners in impoverished areas who then manage loans to local people. The end result is that those folks are able to obtain funding for various projects at better terms than they'd get through a bank (if there's even such a thing as a bank where they're at, and if they could even hope to be approved).

You can participate in loans in increments of $25, making it simple to get started without deciding to make a significant financial commitment. At the end of a loan, you can either take your money back or re-lend it. (Defaults are very rare-- < 2%.) It thus makes a good 'keeps on giving' charity as you can periodically put in small amounts and keep re-lending as time goes on.

I've been lending on Kiva for over a decade now, and have participated in 113 loans. My default rate has been 1.18%. As I've now been participating in the TMC community for several years, I thought it time to see if there's interest here in starting our own Kiva team. In general the TMC membership tends to include relatively fortunate folk (if we own or are preparing to own $35k+ vehicles!), and I think we can make a significant impact if we choose to do so. And on a humorous note, you fund your chosen loans via PayPal, so there's a bit of a Musk connection. :)

Anyway, About Kiva, Charity Navigator 4-star rating, and a TMC team invite link.

TMC Mods/Owners - If you are not comfortable with an unofficial TMC team, let me know and I can kill it.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Great idea! I love Kiva and have also been funding loans for a number of years. Why don't we name it 'Tesla Owners' , which is both descriptive and accurate?

3. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Well, not all of us are owners yet--soon, I hope! But we're all participants here. If the name is an issue, though, I'm open to change.

4. bonnie

Tesla Enthusiasts?

I just would like to not limit it to people who participate on this site - there are lots more out there. :) (fyi, sent a request to join)

• Love x 1
  5. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Also, kudos to you, Bonnie. That's a heck of a generous loan history. I approved your join request.

As more of you join, chime in with your thoughts on the name. I swapped it to Tesla Enthusiasts for the time being.

6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

It looks like the invite link changed when I changed the name. I just missed my edit window by 1 minute... Use this join link in the future to get onto the team.

7. bonnie

Think of how easily you spend $25 (give up a few trips to Starbucks!) & consider making just one loan to someone in need.

To give folks a flavor of what their $25 can do ...

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 8.02.16 AM.png

• Like x 1
  8. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

I've been on Kiva for a while, just joined the team and had $25 sitting in my account to lend so it was a good reminder to make another loan.

• Like x 2
  9. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Welcome!

10. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Anybody else?

11. winfield100

winfield100 Active Member

yes, a micro amount

• Like x 1
  12. TMSE

TMSE Member

#12 TMSE, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like x 1
  13. Mulligan Jake

Mulligan Jake Member

Add one more Tesla Enthusiasts, just did my first loan.

• Like x 1
  14. kelly

kelly Member

One more here. Thanks Zaxxon.

• Like x 1
  15. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I jumped into the Tesla Enthusiasts team earlier today as well. :)

• Like x 1
  16. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Supporting the greater good? Bah Humbug ! :p

RT

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  17. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Thanks, all! Hope you enjoy Kiva.

18. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

We've now got nine members, so thanks go out to each of you who has joined. I'll stop bumping this thread outside of milestone points for our group. Here's one last posting of the invite link before we fade into the night for awhile. I should also mention that since we changed the group name to 'Tesla Enthusiasts' rather than TMC, feel free to invite other Tesla enthusiast folk you may know from outside the TMC confines.

19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

I signed up using your referral link but am not quite sure what the benefits are of being in a team. The loan I helped fund shows it funded by me and a team. Can you explain what the benefits are of joining a team? Would we fund loans as a group?

20. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

The benefits are ephemeral--we can see each other's loans (and contribute to those which are still funding), track the group's combined impact, etc. At the end of the day there's no direct impact on the loans you fund.