Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Klamath Falls, OR to Reno, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove Klamath Falls, OR to Reno, NV Sunday and it wasn't fun in my M3LR. Google maps shows this at 253 miles and I don't recall what the charger to charger distance was. Admittedly it was quite cold for at least half the distance it was below freezing. To compensate I ran part of the way with the heater off and drove at and below the speed limit which means cars were passing like crazy. I did learn that driving slower make a huge difference in battery consumption. Tesla drivers really need a supercharger in Susanville. I arrived in Reno with about 30 miles remaining. I'm sure if I would have driven normally and with the heater on, I wouldn't have made Reno. Anyone else do this run and have any suggestions. I'm going back that same way.

Last edited:
Yes, did this exact trip albeit in May with better weather (and in reverse). Was part of a larger SEA-SFO-SEA road trip.

Look up Niles Hotel and Red Lion Hotel on PlugShare. Both of these have level 2 chargers you can stop at for an hour or so to get some additional charge to stay ripped up.

I’ve attached a screenshot of my TeslaFi road trip summary for that segment of my trip so you can see where I stopped to charge.

Attachments

• AAE64050-13E5-4130-B91D-EF3A6F6BA4BD.png
    AAE64050-13E5-4130-B91D-EF3A6F6BA4BD.png
    860.8 KB · Views: 180
Yes, did this exact trip albeit in May with better weather (and in reverse). Was part of a larger SEA-SFO-SEA road trip.

Look up Niles Hotel and Red Lion Hotel on PlugShare. Both of these have level 2 chargers you can stop at for an hour or so to get some additional charge to stay ripped up.

I’ve attached a screenshot of my TeslaFi road trip summary for that segment of my trip so you can see where I stopped to charge.

Wow that is really cool output on the data logger. I've never seen this before. Thanks for the tips for my return drive.

Ditto the recommendation on the Tesla destination chargers at the Red Lion in Susanville. Please ask permission before and offer a thank you after charging so that the owners will continue to let us use them for free. Several fast food places nearby. And great scenery enroute!

Coming from the Mt. Shasta SC, I was able to pick up an hour+ of L2 charging over lunch, which allowed us to skip the Reno SC (congested and inconvenient) and make it to the (uncrowded, unbusy) Hawthorne NV SC.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to see if anyone had made this journey more recently. I was thinking of taking the trek in April via this route to Reno. I'm hoping the 2021 LR3 will make it with careful driving, but curious to see if anyone else has tried.

Should be easier, albeit a bit longer, once the Alturas, CA supercharger opens up.
The Susanville supercharger is right on the route and has the same ETA: Q3 2021. Let's see if it goes in on schedule. 🤞

Though there's apparently a 16kW Tesla destination charger in Susanville at the Red Lion Inn. ABRP says my Y LR only needs a 9min charging stop to arrive at Klamath Falls SC with 5% if you leave the Reno North Sierra Street SC at 95%. Not too bad. And only 15 min charging if you leave Reno with 80%, which probably makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: RB88