Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Motors: Cold to Warm Battery Range Increase???===============================================
While doing a longer distance drive, noticed some strange happenings with the Trip Planner, and the estimated power/ % remaining upon arrival. I attribute this to the warming of the battery pack. I went from having a cold soaked battery pack that was regen limited to a pack that warmed considerably due to hard acceleration onto the freeway and freeway power-draw. When the regen limiter changed, thats when I saw the bump up in remaining power on the trip meter. Watch and see!

Tesla Motors: Firmware Autopark Change and HVAC Improvement!
=============================================
In Firmware 7.1 Version 2.18.77 came two changes that I know of.
First, the Auto-Park autopark summon update. Now requires a extra step to activate the autopark upon exit. This came as a additional Idiot-Proofing of Auto-Park and auto summon upon exit of the vehicle.
Also, I managed to find a nice improvment to Range-Mode HVAC Controlls. We now have fan speed of 11 with Range Mode ON!!! I've been asking for this for 3 years!!!
No longer will you need to do my backdoor firmware bug hack to keep fan speed 11 while in range mode! See this link to experience my original hack.

See this link to hear about the idiot that Auto-Parked his Model S into a Semi Trailer:

KmanAuto
KmanAuto
Tesla Supercharger Network Travel Guide
Kman's Approved Products - Accessories Phone & Tablet Kman's Approved Product Store
[email protected]
414-807-8354

Tesla Motors Model X at Pleasant Prairie Supercharger Close Up & Battery
===================================================
A week ago, I had the fortune to catch a Model X close up while Supercharging. It is a Tesla owned Vehicle driven by a Tesla Employee. Some close up looks, due to limited time (they only supercharged for about 8 minutes) I couldn't look as closely as I wanted. But I did manage to catch the battery type & information!!!

Tesla Motors: Realtime Autopilot Drive w/Dashcam Freeway, City & Traffic
=======================================
In this installment, We take a ~42 minute drive in my Tesla Model S 90D in Real time with Autopilot. Cover some city driving (not much) and the rest freeway driving, including both Construction Zones and Regular open Freeway, both with and without Major Traffic.

Other then needing to take more control on the city streets, due to un-autopilot navigable turns (Turning corners to get to the right direction) and stop signs, the freeway was fairly straight forward. In the Shown drive, I took control I believe 3 times total. First in the construction zone, due to heavy traffic to move to the far left lane to take my turn off. Do not remember the second time, and third, was due to a lane shift. It would have been fine, and I would have let the car do it, but I believe a combination of going directly into the sun, which caused some vision issues for the autopilot camera, and more then usual traffic, the car hesitated a bit, and I did not feel comfortable, so I took control.

Overall, the car did a excellent job with autopilot, and generally only required me to use the turn signal to notify control the car to change lanes.

Smooth ride, and driving with autopilot, especially in heavy stop and go traffic, makes the drive much smoother, and reduces tension and road rage. See my upcoming video, Autopilot VS Road Rage for my opinions on how autopilot can reduce the urge to give in to ones road rage!

Tesla Model S driver caught sleeping at the wheel while on Autopilot-- Is it a Big Deal? How easy to fall asleep?
===========================================
Recently, a man was filmed presumably sleeping while his Tesla model S was being driven on Autopilot. While it could be a Hoax by the driver, without being able to see if his eyes were open or closed, we cannot be sure.
Either way, I cover some points of why it is easy to fall asleep while on autopilot, and while I do not condone sleeping on autopilot, the Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X, and the upcoming Tesla Model 3 already have safe guards in place to prevent this/mitigate this issue.
I talk about these safeguards to protect against sleeping while autopilot is active.
The car regularly checks the driver to make sure they are awake and alert. Also, the car, if the driver does not respond to the checks, will bring on more audible and frequent alerts, followed by pulling the over and to a complete stop.
Tesla has planned some great features. Hopefully, some few won't ruin it for the rest of us that use Autopilot more responsibility.

KmanAuto
KmanAuto
Kman's Approved Products - Accessories Phone & Tablet Kman's Approved Product Store
[email protected]
414-807-8354

Tesla Motors: Autopilot VS Torrential Rain Storm & Tornado Force Wind
==================================================
Before we continue, please queue up this in a separate window, seemed more entertaining and fitting music for this video. I could not incorporate it into the drive video due to copyright.

So, Wisconsin got hit by a number of small, yet extreme storms over this Memorial Day Weekend. This was one of them. Sky went from Sunny to Black (Camera Lighting Amplification mitigated the effect for the video) and torrential down pour. Along with very high winds, and tornado's in some areas, not too far from where I was driving.
Throughout this, Autopilot was in control. I did have my hands on the wheel for safety. However, it was not necessary. Autopilot performed flawless! In fact, it was driving BETTER then the surrounding vehicles!
I will note, though, at some points Autopilot did lose lock on the lane lines, though, in those instances, it switched to using a lock on the vehicle in front of me. Either way, much impressive. I did have a situation last year, where in a loaner, the accident avoidance while TACC was active saved me from a accident in similar situation, couple that, with the autopilot, and it is amazing.
I would not say to trust it fully, still remain alert and keep your hands on the wheel! And NO SLEEPING WHILE AUTOPILOTING!

Final note, sorry, no cluster cam, this was spur of the moment filming.

Tesla Model S 90D: Rated Range 5000 Miles 12 Weeks Ownership
Not too bad, 293 rated miles range, vehicle was 294 when new, so still within rated range calculation margin of error.
6,000 mile Tesla Model S 90D Rated Range update coming shortly.

Road Trip coming up, so I should have 5 or 6 range updates coming next week!

Tesla Model S: Possessed Charge Port
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a charge port fail failure on my 2016 Tesla Model S. Apparently, a rubber gasket on the automatic charge port doors is not as weatherproof as Tesla had thought, allowing moisture in. I had to wait a few weeks for a Ranger Visit (Faster then getting into the service center!). He showed me the problem gasket when he replaced my charge port. However, by the time the ranger came to replace it, my charge port had progressed in possession to the point where it would randomly wave back and fourth to passers by! I think the car was just excited and wanted to say HI!

KmanAuto
KmanAuto
[email protected]
414-807-8354

Tesla Model S: 90kWh CHAdeMO from 10% to 80% and Time Sped up ~9x
This Test, shows the charge time it takes from 10% SOC to 80% SOC on the 90kWh Tesla Model S 90D Battery Pack Revision A.
Viewer requested Realtime version will be uploaded soon, please subscribe for updates.
The charging portion of the video was sped up by a factor of ~24x for your convenience. This test shows a recovery of ~230 miles of range replenished.

Tesla Motors: Energy Consumption Towing with a Tesla (properly aired tires this time)
==============================================
You may remember, my first Travel Trailer long distance tow and energy consumption.

Well, this time around, prepped, properly aired tires in the trailer and car, and even weight distribution, we set out again, this time going back to my parents house (I brought it home to my house to do my "personal touches" on it and prep it for our next road trip).

So check on in and stay tuned on round two of Camper Towing!!!

Tesla Motors: Summer PSA! Burn Warning!!!
================================================
Just a friendly Public Service Announcment. As summer has arrived, be cautious about your Door Handles! Despite what most people think, that the Chrome will reflect the heat away, which is unfortunately not the case. The handles can become HOT, HOT HOT! 140*F + And that is in WISCONSIN! Just imagine how much hotter when you head south!

KmanAuto
KmanAuto
[email protected]
414-807-8354

Generator Charging a Tesla? Generac VS Honda
================================
For details on this Generac iQ2000 Generator, or to purchase at the lowest possible price, please see: http://amzn.to/28YLTVP

For details on this Honda EU2000i Generator, or to purchase at the lowest possible price, please see: http://amzn.to/28T1Rz7

Generac VS Hona charging the Tesla Model S. This test showed a Quicker Winner then I had thought. Straight out of the box, the Generac iQ2000 works to charge the Model S. However, the non-bonded neutral ground on the Honda, immediately trips the Ground fault on the Tesla's UMC. The use of a Dangerous "hack plug" may may work, but that is for another video ;-)

While not ideal, the use of a generator in a emergency situation to gain enough range to get to a grid connection, or use of a generator to keep vehicle powered when traveling off-grid, the generac seems to be the ideal generator. The yield is ~12-18 miles gained per gallon of fuel, dependent on the charging conditions (Ambient temperature, humidity, and how well the generator has been broken in).
While no where near as efficient as a grid connection, its about on par with a similar sized luxury Sedan.

See these links for more Generac iQ2000 Videos!
iQ2000 Initial Setup:

Generac iQ2000 VS Honda EU2000i Noise Test:

iQ2000 Unboxing:

Tesla Model S Collision Avoidance HUMAN TEST! Collaboration Video
Testing The Tesla Model S's Summon on my Guinea Pig, errr, friend Mike Anthony, during my annual Tesla & EV Get Together BBQ.
We tested the car in 3 modes, Summon, Which did perfect job stopping each time, TACC And Autopilot failed to attempt to stop the car, though give a audible and visual collision warning. It failed in our opinion to attempt to slow or stop the car. Now, each situation is different, but in this case, it did not work. I have had it emergency brake when another car has pulled out in front of me though.

See this video from my Test Subject Mike's POV!

Please note, everything was arranged in advance with pre-determined situations planned if the vehicle did not stop. And Mike signed the waiver for me that allowed me to dump his body in the lake if I managed to run him over...... (Just kidding...)

KmanAuto
KmanAuto
[email protected]
414-807-8354

Reactions: alseTrick

Testing The Tesla Model S's Summon on my Guinea Pig, errr, friend Mike Anthony, during my annual Tesla & EV Get Together BBQ.
We tested the car in 3 modes, Summon, Which did perfect job stopping each time, TACC And Autopilot failed to attempt to stop the car, though give a audible and visual collision warning. It failed in our opinion to attempt to slow or stop the car. Now, each situation is different, but in this case, it did not work. I have had it emergency brake when another car has pulled out in front of me though.

Please note, everything was arranged in advance with pre-determined situations planned if the vehicle did not stop. And Mike signed the waiver for me that allowed me to dump his body in the lake if I managed to run him over...... (Just kidding...)

KmanAuto
KmanAuto
[email protected]
414-807-8354

Very interesting video. Thank you for posting this. I kinda agree with Mike's comments that Model S's sensors is probably able to track another vehicle at this time and may not have the ability at present to brake for other non-front tracking/non-vehicle objects.

KmanAuto
KmanAuto
[email protected]
414-807-8354

I've said it in the threads about the recent Tesla crashes that this emergency braking has a serious flaw: it doesn't always work!

For SOME reason, people "dislike" the realism of my statement. Why would you not want Tesla to fix a flawed feature?

If the sensors see an object in front of the car, the car should stop. Period.

I agree. And as usual, I point out the flaws in order to push improvement with the vehicles.

I am not sure whose flaws are you referring to.

The manual says:

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."

Another paragraph reinforces the above:

"Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing and where bicycles and pedestrians are present."

Another one on AutoSteer:

"Do not use Autosteer on city streets or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present."

The video shows all above violations which would put both the driver and pedestrian at risk.

Last edited: