Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Model S 90D: Rated Range Degradation 15000 Miles 22 Weeks Ownership
-----------------------------------
Rated range update at 15,000 mile stone! 22 weeks ownership.
Thanks for posting! Extremely high. In fact it's the highest I've ever seen for v1 90D, most in this forum (not refresh 90D's) are under 279 rated miles at 100%. Has it always been at that level? What firmware level are you at?

Edit: just noticed this is a newer battery (22 weeks old) so the EPA was 294 originally if I'm not mistaken.

Letter to Elon Musk from Loyal Tesla Owners at Gigafactory Event
==============================================
While having breakfast at before the start of the Gigafactory Grand Opening event, a large group of us owners, from a number of different countries, got together for breakfast. During this breakfast, we put together a letter to Elon, first and foremost, thanking him, and then giving our opinions on some updates to the vehicles, both software and hardware.
While this list could be expanded greatly, I wanted to honor the list we put together as a group before the start of the Gigafactory event.
We had meant to record this at the pre-gigafactory party, however, we expected ~100 people at the pre party, which ended up having around 1000, so we could not record this.
Without further Ado, here is the list:
1: Original Regen
2: Emergency Break-Away Button
3: Full Brightness DRL's when Headlights are on
4: Hazard Lights on in Full Brake Lock-Up
5: Bi-Directional Charge Port V2V & V2G
6: Tesla Supported Towing for Model S
7: Passenger-Side Charge Port (Additional)
8: Bring back charging Energy & Miles/Km like Firmware 4.x
9: Battery Balancing Button
10: Auto-Amperage Adjust to complete charge by designated time
11: Delay in HVAC Fan-off to dry out moisture in system
12: Delay in HVAC shutting off to avoid on/off w/multiple Door Open/Closes
13: Symmetrical use of cooling fans to reduce fan noise
14: Auto-Close Pano when rain sensors are triggered
15: Press and Hold Nav Icon for auto-route Home
16: Open or close all windows from the App
17: Drive in Theater Mode
18: Camper Mode
19: Economy Mode (Such as a Accel Limiter)(or improve Range Mode)
20: Way-Points on Nav
21: Higher powered USB Ports and considerably MORE of them
22: More 12v power ports, such as in the Trunk of the Model S

Thanks for posting! Extremely high. In fact it's the highest I've ever seen for v1 90D, most in this forum (not refresh 90D's) are under 279 rated miles at 100%. Has it always been at that level? What firmware level are you at?

Edit: just noticed this is a newer battery (22 weeks old) so the EPA was 294 originally if I'm not mistaken.
My production was ~January and it took almost a month to get from Cali to Illinois for me to get it. It is a Revision A (First gen) 90kWh battery.
294 was original mileage. I had some problems at the 16,000 mile mark in terms of range. It stopped charging at 97% and was much reduced range. That video will be up in a day or so.

My production was ~January and it took almost a month to get from Cali to Illinois for me to get it. It is a Revision A (First gen) 90kWh battery.
294 was original mileage. I had some problems at the 16,000 mile mark in terms of range. It stopped charging at 97% and was much reduced range. That video will be up in a day or so.
Thanks. Mine was the original August 2015 built car with the first gen battery and the 100% when delivered was 286 which was 6% more than the 85D at the time. A few months later Dec 2015/Jan 2016 they switched to a newer battery with better range. Your newer one was 294 as you say. I'm currently at 282 (after balancing) a year later so it looks like we both have just a few miles less than new. Not bad.

TESLA: Firmware 8 Release Notes PART 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the long awaited release of Firmware 8, the excitement is in the air! Lets start with the release notes! This will be a multi-part video series covering Firmware 8.0.

TESLA: Firmware 8 Auto Freeway Exit Part 2
--------------------------------------------------------
A series of tests using the Auto-Freeway Exit. I found in most cases it took the exit fine, however, only exits that had Dotted-Lines signifying the exit. Exits where no dotted lines present, the vehicle would not take. Please note, Firmware 8.0 reqiores turn signal to be on for the car to take a exit. According to Tesla, Firmware 8.1 will require only nav to have you routed off a specific exit for it to take it.
Also, I found the car DOES NOT SLOW DOWN on the exits. It maintains freeway speeds. I find this to be a major flaw.

TESLA: Firmware 8 Divided Highways/Displayed Vehicles/Regen Part 3
-----------------------------------------------------
Things I've noticed; For starters, Tesla has stated that Autopilot speed limit is 5mph over the speed limit when on non-divided highways. However, how Tesla has dertermined what is and is not a divided highway previously was not very accurate! Ive noticed 4 divided highways I regurally drive on, that were previously speed limited to 5mph over posted speed limit, are no longer limited!
I do my best in this video to show the "X-Ray" Radar, that is able to see the vehicle in front of the vehicle your following. It displayed for a brief moment, I have a much better video showing this coming shortly.
Third! And my most awaited! REGEN! TESLA HAS GIVEN IT BACK TO US ! Or at least stronger regen. Now you may be asking, what do I mean??? Well, original "Classic" Model S Cars had/still have much stronger Regen then ALL Autopilot hardware cars (Regardless of weather autopilot is active or not). The Autopilot hardware cars, have, what I would consider, Lethargic regen, more hesitant. We now have the same regen that the "Classic" Model S cars have. AWESOME!!!!

MUCH MUCH More to come!

Reactions: ArtInCT and msnow

TESLA: Firmware 8 Autopilot Improvements Opinions PART 4
-------------------------------------------------------------------
After a hour of Freeway Driving , though Traffic Jams, Construction and the open road, I weigh in my opinions on some of the improvements I noticed with Autopilot. I would say, in general, it has been a great improvement in Lane Keeping, and responsiveness. Also the changes in notifications of when it alerts the driver to take the wheel. My opinion on the alerts is still open. But it's not as bad as I thought, though, I did experience the nag shutdown takeover, and it would not let me reactivate. It did so with no audible warning ahead of time. My hands WERE on the wheel, though, not with enough pressure the car liked, and it was too bright, that I did not notice the visible flashing on the screen. I believe it should do at least one audible warning first. If it had I would have taken over. This will lead people to go about defeating the system. More to come on that though!

Reactions: JanetM

X-Ray Radar Demo PART 5
-------------------
I suppose what I'd call this, to simplify it, is "X-Ray Vision" Radar
Through bouncing the Tesla Model S and Model X Radar, and Using a series of software time coding (Think, similar to Time Division Multiplexing) of each Radar Pulse, the Tesla Motors Vehicles can now "See" through/under/around the vehicle in front of you! I show this more closely. Notice the display showing two cars directly in front of my car. The second vehicle, or in other words furthest vehicle, CANNOT be seen visually by the Autopilot camera. The car is using Enhancements of the Radar signaling and processing to detect and track that vehicle. This is good for early reaction when the vehicle in front of you may not be paying attention, or in a emergency situation! Quite impressive! I am going to try and setup a way to test the cars reaction, however, this is a hard test to setup and plan.

TESLA: Firmware 8 Automatic App positioning PART 6
-------------------------------------------------------
Automatic App positioning. Yet another new "Feature" of Firmware 8, and my most despised at this point. Between not very "Smart Zoom" of the maps and this one change is really souring the whole experience for me. And I mean, really really driving me nuts. something so simple to add a toggle to shut this "Feature" off.

Also feeling it was pointless. Just let the driver/passenger decide where things would pop up and how they should be positioned. I give this feature a F-

TESLA: Firmware 8 Three Strikes Autopilot Disabled Demo PART 7
=============================
Along with Firmware 8, came some changes for how Autopilot makes sure you are "paying attention" and holding the steering wheel. While, Generally, I like this new method (Cuts down on people improperly using Autopilot), It also did not work properly every time (I'll cover that in a upcoming video discussing some issues I found with the new Autopilot).
Either way, Tesla has Implemented more so of a 3 Strikes Rule. Basically, the car is to give you "three chances" to respond to it's warnings and notifications. If you do not, you see the Take control message. If the car gets to this point, autopilot will be disabled, and will not allow you to re-enable it unless you park the car, and then resume driving. This is to be a insensitive to pay attention, as it could be a PITA to park and resume the drive, as well as a waste of time. Though, on the other hand, this could also cause some to "defeat" the steering wheel hand hold sensor (Torque sensor). Most easily done by duct taping a soda can to the steering wheel.

TESLA: Firmware 8: Flaws, Bugs & My Final Opinions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll probably get a lot of negative feedback for my opinions on Firmware 8. I hope Tesla will take this as constructive criticism. However, Now having the firmware for over a week, and nearly 1,000 miles, long distance drive, city and country highway driving, and spending a number of hours in the car "playing" with the new firmware, I can now say this is the biggest step forward, AND, regression Tesla has made since the Model S release.
Things that have changed, a number of annoyances, and I'm not specifically talking about the stricter "hands on wheel" safeguards complimented. Generally, I like the new "Hands on Wheel" safeguard to protect from some of the idiots using it improperly, however, that system has some nasty bugs, app switching and the smart zoom of the maps is driving be Bat $417 Crazy. Limiting un-divided highway speeds to 5mph over the speed limit is fine, however, they took away the ability to set the cruise higher, so when the vehicle reaches a higher speed section of road, it will not accelerate higher. Likewise, if the car "mis-sees" a speed sign, and reads it wrong, it will cut speeds, but will not increase them again once it corrects itself. This is providing for a jerky ride.
Straight line autopilot has been improved, however, curvature autopilot has regressed and become more questionable.

Watch the video for the full breakdown. My final statement, at this time; I wish I could go back to Firmware 7 at this time, until these bugs are worked out, and Tesla fixes these EXCESSIVE annoyances. It is really hurting my Model S driving experience, CONSIDERABLY. Most likely not for everyone, but for me, someone who has over 100,000 miles of Tesla Ownership, and done countless miles on Tesla Loaners, each new firmware release seems to sour the experience that much more. Personally, Tesla needs Not only to LISTEN more to the owners, but also needs a NEW CROP OF BETA TESTERS. So much has been missed by the beta testers it's not even funny. Last Personal Note, if at the very least, two people who SHOULD be on the Firmware Beta Tester list, are #1, myself, and #2, Bjorn Nyland.

Telsla Motors: Wooded Road Autopilot Test Low Speed Firmware 8.xx
=================================================
An update to a previous test on the same road. I did this test on firmware 7.xx about 6 months ago. Now, with Firmware 8 and it's claimed improvements, I did it again, and it did not fare too well. In my opinion, as the driver, it did worse then previously on the 7.xx firmware's.
You can see the Firmware 7.xx Attempt at

Personally, firmware 8 has been a train wreck of bugs and regressions. Anyways, judge for yourself. Conditions were fairly similar between both tests.

Reactions: msnow