Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(ignoring the other points since I don't know the history here), I do think that there should be some ability to go back to a previous version of the code. perhaps with a reasonable fee involved for service to reset it or something, and of course after signing something saying that you acknowledge that you may be losing updates and fixes that may be safety related... I also think there should be a way of blocking future updates from being installed or the systems from being changed (with the same proviso's).

Especially with the kinds of changes that are being made in the code, with features being removed or modified in ways that users don't really want, I could see a case being made that we purchased the car with the expectation that it would do x, and now it doesn't because the s/w changed.

If legal action is needed to get this, I am not against that either. I would sincerely hope that it would not have to come to that, but much as I like Tesla, I do think that they seem to be forgetting that they don't own the cars after they deliver them to the customers. Especially before the Model 3 comes out, which, I suspect, will make everything much worse as suddenly the number of people trying to use the system will multiply, and those people will be much less willing to be as flexible as current owners... which could have some major impacts on Tesla's ability to do business in the future.

I would much rather have these issues ironed out now, with a much smaller and more forgiving customer base, than later when it becomes closer to a mass market product and the issues start being aired on CNN instead.
You can't reject updates that impact safety when there are other people on the road who didn't agree to the same thing.
Also, it might make more sense for people to be made more aware of the fact that by buying a Tesla things change, features improve over time and if that's not acceptable to you perhaps another car would work better.

You can't reject updates that impact safety when there are other people on the road who didn't agree to the same thing.
Also, it might make more sense for people to be made more aware of the fact that by buying a Tesla things change, features improve over time and if that's not acceptable to you perhaps another car would work better.

While I think that it's cool that things change and get better over time, what happens when they get worse? I would not have an issue if every update just added features, or fixed bugs without modifying or removing existing features, but that isn't what seems to be happening. I don't see it as being unrealistic to have the ability to treat a Tesla as basically any other car, it does the things it does when you purchase it, the same way, for the life of the car. (and, probably 400,000 of the 500,000 model 3 reservation holders will expect exactly that!) *Again, personally, I like that it works how it does, at least until something I really like goes away :) , but I can see where others might not, and I respect that.

However, if someone chooses to "lock" their car's features to one version, then I also don't see that Tesla should have to figure out how to implement bug fixes for every prior version of the software that exists. It would be great if they can, but I think if you do choose to lock your car down to one version, you cant expect Tesla to be keeping up on safety patches while not keeping up with feature updates.

Which brings me to your second point, "you cant reject updates that impact safety when there are other people on the road who did't agree to the same thing". While I can see things that may have to be forced to cars if they impacts the overall public safety, Overall, As long as the car meets the safety requirements of when it is built, I don't see that owners should HAVE to accept additional ones if they believe that the trade-off is worth it. Nothing else that I can think of works that way.

Yes, I can also see times when a feature might have to be disabled due to safety concerns... even if the owners wanted it, but that is different from features just disappearing, or significantly changing.

I can also make a case for a real safety concern with the UI changing... some people don't like change. So, say you are used to the media center looking like "X", and it suddenly changes and now as someone is driving they are hunting around for the button to change something, not realizing that it has moved or changed. and they get in an accident. No, I don't see that as Tesla's fault, but I do think they should have the ability to not have to worry about those things.

Like you said, at this point, people should expect that from Tesla, but that doesn't mean it is RIGHT, and as they sell more cars, expecting that kind of thinking from the majority of people isn't realistic (sadly).

Reactions: mrElbe
I don't supercharge all that much. I've had three day trips where we supercharged once and I had one long trip to California where I supercharged several times. A couple of times I supercharged to 95% when it was convenient (I was eating or taking a nap so the extra delay didn't matter), but I have never supercharged to 100%. I tried it at home once, but I probably won't do that again. Any place I go from home is downhill for the first 1 1/2 miles and charging to 100% just disables regen.

I only have a little over 5000 miles on the car since June, but 0% degradation of the battery in that time. The one time I charged to 100% it was 298 rated miles and my 90% bounces between 267 and 269 miles.

The reason a lot of silicon is not used in the anode is because it expands quite a bit when it absorbs lithium ions. I can see where charging to 100% might cause faster degradation than the old graphite only anodes. With 100% charge, the silicon is going to expand as much as it can and that can cause damage to the surrounding matrix the silicon is in.

So...would this then be able to be shown by looking at cars that did not use a supercharger at all and see if there has been any degradation?

Or lightly used supercharging.
I saw the brunt of the drop literally within a two week span, after doing a cross country road trip and supercharging 40+ times within that 2 week span. 2500 mile each direction, from Milwaukee Wisconsin to Creator Lake, Oregon. Actually cut 5 stops off my trip, as they opened a single new supercharger that let me cut directly across the mountains rather then take the long way around.

What was the heat pump used for? (you noted it in the ways to heat, but didn't mention it in the breakouts, unless I missed something :) )
A heat pump is basically a reverse Air Conditioner. Added hardware (Not very much added hardware at that!) reverses the AC unit. Instead of pumping warm air from in the cabin outside to cool the cabin, it would take heat from outside and pump it into the cabin to warm the cabin. A reversing valve and bi-directional dryer canister would be required, and some other hardware. You can even find Window AC units for home use that have heat pumps.

I don't supercharge all that much. I've had three day trips where we supercharged once and I had one long trip to California where I supercharged several times. A couple of times I supercharged to 95% when it was convenient (I was eating or taking a nap so the extra delay didn't matter), but I have never supercharged to 100%. I tried it at home once, but I probably won't do that again. Any place I go from home is downhill for the first 1 1/2 miles and charging to 100% just disables regen.

I only have a little over 5000 miles on the car since June, but 0% degradation of the battery in that time. The one time I charged to 100% it was 298 rated miles and my 90% bounces between 267 and 269 miles.

The reason a lot of silicon is not used in the anode is because it expands quite a bit when it absorbs lithium ions. I can see where charging to 100% might cause faster degradation than the old graphite only anodes. With 100% charge, the silicon is going to expand as much as it can and that can cause damage to the surrounding matrix the silicon is in.
I didn't see my real drop until about 10-14,000, which is when I did my road trip to Oregon. Put on around 6,000 ish miles +/- a bit in the course of 2 weeks. Could see it dropping during that time. Where as my old car using the original chemistry, I actually saw a Range INCREASE as my cells balanced from the repeated charges.

Keep a eye on it.

You are right with the Silicon anode.
When my car was delivered, the charge rate was rather low on Superchargers. Then a software update came mid-summer, and gave spectacular charge rates! In fact, I could hold 100kW charge rate to about 58-60% SOC, which was absolutely amazing! Now, on 8.0 flavors (All so far), the fastest rate I can get at all is 100kW, and usually more so around 95kW. This is depressing. It is also a noticeable increase in charge time. Does not matter the State of charge either. Could have 1% , 40% or 60% etc... will not break that 100kW rate.
I'm really thinking Tesla discovered a problem with supercharging and the silicon anode batteries (Once again, this is pure speculation, so anyone copying my posts, I do NOT give permission to take anything I say out of context, and all my posts must be quoted in complete!).

Lets keep a eye on things. Keep reporting back what you experience as well. I generally do not 100% charge my 90D. It has so much more range then my original MS60, that I don't need to. My MS60 was 100% charged 3-7 times per week (sometimes MORE), where as my 90D is 100% charged usually only every 1,000 miles to do the benchmark, unless I'm on a Road Trip or traveling long distance. Yet my MS60 held it's original range great, and was within 1-2 miles of it's rated range right up until I gave it back to Tesla.

Tesla Model S: Unplugged 11 days, Idle Range Loss Firmware 8 First Release
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So I was out of the country for 11 days. Remembered to put the car in the garage, however, forgot to plug in the 120v extension cord (Usually park car outside, and my 50 amp 14-50 240v outlet is on the outside of my garage) before heading out. So, with Range Mode on, Energy Saving Mode On (Sleep Mode) but always connected also turned on (Need to occasionally keep tabs on the car. It needs to behave itself after all...) Lets see what the Firmware 8 Idle Range Loss is!

A heat pump is basically a reverse Air Conditioner. Added hardware (Not very much added hardware at that!) reverses the AC unit. Instead of pumping warm air from in the cabin outside to cool the cabin, it would take heat from outside and pump it into the cabin to warm the cabin. A reversing valve and bi-directional dryer canister would be required, and some other hardware. You can even find Window AC units for home use that have heat pumps.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough... I definitely understand what a heat pump is (I've installed a few), I just didn't know where it was used... Kman said:

Ways to heat: Heat Pump, Resistance Heater (Think Space Heater) or Warming coils (also resistance) for use such as Seat Heaters.​

So, he noted that it existed, but when he detailed what heated what... he didn't mention the heat pump.

In the case of the Tesla Model S (And Model X), it uses Resistance Heating (Space Heater) to heat the cabin. It also has Heated Seats, Defrosters, Heated Wipers, Mirrors and Rear Defroster.
I wasn't sure if this was just a matter of missing something, or if the heat pump was used for something non-people related (like warming up the batteries or something)...

so, Kman indicated that resistance heating is used for cabin heating, and you note that a heat pump is used... does that mean that both are used? (not uncommon for home heat pumps since they tend to not work well in really cold situations)

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough... I definitely understand what a heat pump is (I've installed a few), I just didn't know where it was used... Kman said:

Ways to heat: Heat Pump, Resistance Heater (Think Space Heater) or Warming coils (also resistance) for use such as Seat Heaters.​

So, he noted that it existed, but when he detailed what heated what... he didn't mention the heat pump.

In the case of the Tesla Model S (And Model X), it uses Resistance Heating (Space Heater) to heat the cabin. It also has Heated Seats, Defrosters, Heated Wipers, Mirrors and Rear Defroster.
I wasn't sure if this was just a matter of missing something, or if the heat pump was used for something non-people related (like warming up the batteries or something)...

so, Kman indicated that resistance heating is used for cabin heating, and you note that a heat pump is used... does that mean that both are used? (not uncommon for home heat pumps since they tend to not work well in really cold situations)
Heat pump is not used in Tesla Vehicles (At this time, we don't know yet for Model 3). No, they don't work well in really cold situations, but in not really cold situations (Spring or fall) the energy savings can be significant.

You are right with the Silicon anode.
When my car was delivered, the charge rate was rather low on Superchargers. Then a software update came mid-summer, and gave spectacular charge rates! In fact, I could hold 100kW charge rate to about 58-60% SOC, which was absolutely amazing! Now, on 8.0 flavors (All so far), the fastest rate I can get at all is 100kW, and usually more so around 95kW. This is depressing. It is also a noticeable increase in charge time. Does not matter the State of charge either. Could have 1% , 40% or 60% etc... will not break that 100kW rate.
I'm really thinking Tesla discovered a problem with supercharging and the silicon anode batteries (Once again, this is pure speculation, so anyone copying my posts, I do NOT give permission to take anything I say out of context, and all my posts must be quoted in complete!).

Lets keep a eye on things. Keep reporting back what you experience as well. I generally do not 100% charge my 90D. It has so much more range then my original MS60, that I don't need to. My MS60 was 100% charged 3-7 times per week (sometimes MORE), where as my 90D is 100% charged usually only every 1,000 miles to do the benchmark, unless I'm on a Road Trip or traveling long distance. Yet my MS60 held it's original range great, and was within 1-2 miles of it's rated range right up until I gave it back to Tesla.

The first times I supercharged I saw 120KW, and I thought I saw those levels in the Northwest on my trip, but I just looked through some pictures I took at each supercharger on the trip and the best was 111KW at Grants Pass, OR. Only one other SpC was over 100KW. I did see very poor supercharging in California. The worst was at Gilroy where the power bounced around constantly between 8KW and 50KW.

I talked to a tech at Manteca, CA who was replacing the cables on the supercharger cabinets and he said they were seeing premature aging on CA superchargers from the heating from overuse.

They may also be limiting the superchargers because 120KW is burning them out too quickly, especially ones that get heavy use. Though there may be something else going on with the silicon cells too.

It's hard to tell from the outside. We only have part of the picture and patchy data. It may also be that some of the silicon cells degrade faster than the norm too and you just happened to get one or a few cells that are degrading faster. The pack is limited by the weakest cell in the pack.

The first times I supercharged I saw 120KW, and I thought I saw those levels in the Northwest on my trip, but I just looked through some pictures I took at each supercharger on the trip and the best was 111KW at Grants Pass, OR. Only one other SpC was over 100KW. I did see very poor supercharging in California. The worst was at Gilroy where the power bounced around constantly between 8KW and 50KW.

I talked to a tech at Manteca, CA who was replacing the cables on the supercharger cabinets and he said they were seeing premature aging on CA superchargers from the heating from overuse.

They may also be limiting the superchargers because 120KW is burning them out too quickly, especially ones that get heavy use. Though there may be something else going on with the silicon cells too.

It's hard to tell from the outside. We only have part of the picture and patchy data. It may also be that some of the silicon cells degrade faster than the norm too and you just happened to get one or a few cells that are degrading faster. The pack is limited by the weakest cell in the pack.
Agreed. I saw some nasty SC Cables in Cali. Harris Ranch.... Holy Heck! Most of the tips were MISSING! But as a benchmark; the handles on the superchargers I use most regularally have all just been replaced with the newer upgraded ones. And it was a instant difference between 7.xx and 8.xx firmwares.

Tesla Mobile Design Studio Visit in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
-----------------------------------------------------------
While not fully deployed due to a lack of available 120v outlet to power the computer equipment in the Mobile Design Studio; still got to see a basic look of it. Not too much to see. But surprised they didn't use a 100D instead of a 90d to tow that huge thing.

Tesla Motors: Navigate by Phone Number Sat Nav GPS
---------------------------------------------------------
So my friend Recently discovered you can Navigate by Phone Number, if a business has the phone number publicly on record. Mixed results, but got it to properly work about 80% of the time. I have not seen this posted before, so here we are!

Tesla Motors: Navigate by Phone Number Sat Nav GPS
---------------------------------------------------------
So my friend Recently discovered you can Navigate by Phone Number, if a business has the phone number publicly on record. Mixed results, but got it to properly work about 80% of the time. I have not seen this posted before, so here we are!
Cool and I didn't know about that either BUT it's still simpler/easier and much higher than 80% accurate to use voice "Navigate to xxxx" agree?

Reactions: islandbayy
Very VERY Special Treat coming Monday (Or Tuesday depending when the Upload completes!).

Most remember my old Human Collision Test. Well, Mike and Myself attempted Vehicular Manslaughter yet once again. And The teaser, we got some very VERY interesting results ;-)
For a recap, here is the Original Firmware 7.xx Human collision Test.

Tesla Motors: Human Collision Test w/Firmware 8 Tesla Model S 4k UHD
------------------------------------------------
About 6 months ago, Myself and Mike Anthony from Mike Anthony Autosports ( Mike Anthony Autosports ) had a brilliant idea to test out the Collision Avoidance system of the Tesla Model S (And on Model X technically since same hardware and software). This was way back on Firmware 7.xx
In October, Tesla released Firmware 8.0, which has been met with mixed emotions. I, personally am not a fan. The interface and it's feature changes felt rushed. However, something that was not as rushed, was "under the hood" so to say. Tesla, with Bosch (the supplier of the Radar hardware) have created a "Enhanced" Radar. Basically, same hardware, but the programming has been changed Exponentially. Through Software, they have been able to greatly increase what and how the radar detects objects, and have been able to bring it from a secondary sensor, to a Primary on the same level as the camera.
In this video, we do multiple tests at different speeds to see if Firmware 8.0 has made any improvements. We were not expecting it to have been in the sense of Pedestrian Detection, however, Tesla has pulled through.

For those who wanted more Tesla Good News, this is some MAJOR good news if your a Pedestrian!

DON'T FORGET, Watch this video from Mike Anthony's Point of View! HERE:

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and msnow