Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason Hughes, Tesla vehicle hacker/tinkerer, has cracked the Battery Management System software, and found something very interesting. in some cases Battery Capacity was under-rated significantly! I can confirm this somewhat, Given that I did a charge from Shutdown Level to 100% (Or as close as the car would let me!), measured the input energy, then added in the 2-3kWh the car keeps as anti-bricking power, and we're still coming up short! (And unable to charge past 96%!!!)

My video about the charging issue from 0-100% and limited power input is coming soon. It's on the editing room table!

Battery chart Compliments of Electrek:
-Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
-85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
-90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
-Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
-75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
-Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
-Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable

See the article Here:
Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs
The 96% issue always happens to me after running the battery down below 5-10% then doing a full charge (I've posted on it a couple of times). The battery eventually recalibrates and will charge to 100%. Would you still be coming up short if you had a full 100% charge?

Edit: looks like I was posting as you added your video which I just saw. So I can see that even if you had let your car complete the charge and got it to 100% you would still be coming up short. You should be getting 2.94 rated miles for each 1% and you're no where near that. I'd wait a few days to see what the balancing does and if the calibration (96%-100%) displayed range happens. Also the cold weather could be impacting what you're seeing.

Last edited:
Some wintertime fun. Not Tesla Related...
Future of Electric Snow Removal! Just hold my Beer!
--------------------------------------------------------------
The future of Snow removal requires three simple things.
1: A hoverboard
2: A Electric Snow Blower
3: Beer

With the above three things, the quality of live can greatly be improved in Northern climates!
Though we always know what comes after "Hold my Beer"...
December 16th 2016 Greendale, Wisconsin, USA.

Just showing how snow and slush built up this drive in the snow. While I was not using Autopilot on this long drive (Due to road conditions), I was sporadically using cruise control on clear stretches. When either the Radar or the Camera are blocked by snow & slush, the vehicle disables Autopilot, Cruise Control, and all driver assistance features (Collision warnings and AEB).
While this has not been fully mitigated in the Model S Refresh Design, the placement of the Radar has been raised up, and now located Behind the "T" emblem on the front of the vehicle. This has reduced the amount of slush, snow and ice that gets stuck disabling Autopilot, Cruise Control, and other Drivers Assistance Features.

Thanks for the informative video @islandbayy!

Hey, maybe you could make a video with your infrared camera, documenting how the Radar heating element, and the Camera housing heater, works? I'm mostly interested in the question if they have any connection to the Defrost button (rear window heater)? Or do they turn on "randomly" without any user input?

PS: I know the Defrost button at heats the side mirrors as well as the liftgate glass.

Thanks!

Thanks for the informative video @islandbayy!

Hey, maybe you could make a video with your infrared camera, documenting how the Radar heating element, and the Camera housing heater, works? I'm mostly interested in the question if they have any connection to the Defrost button (rear window heater)? Or do they turn on "randomly" without any user input?

PS: I know the Defrost button at heats the side mirrors as well as the liftgate glass.

Thanks!
The defrost button does noting with the Autopilot camera. It cam on automatically. I can try with my Thermal camera, however, given the glasses is so reflective, it would be difficult to show as it will just reflect the sky (or whatever else like a mirror). I do want to try anyways, It will snow tomorrow, maybe I'll give it a shot then.

While the "MyTesla" page has always had a option to add credit cards, Today they decided to make it MUCH more prominent and bring it Top Dead Center of the MyTesla Page. One can only imagine this is Tesla Gearing up to start charging the Supercharger Idle fee, for people who leave their Model S, Model X, Model 3 or other future Tesla vehicle plugged in to a Supercharger after Charging is Complete.

The $0.40/minute idle fee for Tesla Superchargers.

Continued Decline. Lost "2" more rated miles. Pack fully warm Freshly Supercharged to 100% (Was attempting to get the Idle charge warning from Tesla to do a video on it). With the In-Laws and everyone else in town for the holidays, and the extreme cold we had experienced earlier in the week, I've done 5 range charges this week (I'm really blasting through the range!). It's been holding steady all week between 280 and 282. Car has been parked inside my garage, and no temp limiting in the morning. The garage gets nice and warm (insulated and finished garage) from the off heat from the car's charging, and the cabin heat from driving.

Great, looking fwd to vid!
As requested!

As a follow up to my Heated Autopilot camera video, and viewer requested, by viewer "lunitiks", I have done a thermal video on the Radar on my Autopilot 1.0 car. It is of noticeably higher temperature after a drive and sitting for a while at cold temps. While I am not sure if the higher temp was due to the radar being USED, the placement, road spray, and "wind chill" should have cooled it down quite a bit on the freeway. The radar temp seems to be at least 7-10*F warmer then the surrounding materials & Outside. Without checking it (YET) at lower outdoor temps (Maybe around Zero). It appears that even after sitting in my driveway for 20-30 minutes, the radar was still above FREEZING temps.
What does this mean? Well, it appears that the radar "May" have a heating element, to keep it warm. Unfortunately, in my AP 1.0 car, with the Non-Refreshed front end, the placement of the Radar puts it in a spot for heavy Slush and Ice Build Up (See my "Autopilot disabled due to snow" video). One big thing to note, the radar itself did NOT have the slush and ICE stuck to it. The build up covered a space a inch of so away from the radar. Almost as if the radar melted the snow and slush and ice away leaving a "bubble" or "Pocket" in front of itself, and I only had to chip away that excess.

Tesla as released information saying that on the Autopilot 2.0 or AP 2.0 cars, all the Autoplot 2.0 (Actually, full autonomous hardware) has heating elements in it. It was just not determined if the AP 1.0 had those heating elements or not.

Will investigate further!

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Thank's (k)man! :):):)

After watching your video, I did some research and found that Tesla most likely uses these Bosch MRR units with radome heating. I suspect there are some heating wires behind the weatherproof enclosure that protects the antenna.

Only question remains: What triggers the heating?

Theories:
(A) It automatically comes on when outdoor temp. reaches x F*/C*, independent of car status (ON/OFF), like the heated windshield area directly above/behind windshield wipers (for cold weather package option).
(B) It automatically comes on when outdoor temp. reaches x F*/C*, but only if car is ON.
(C) It only comes on if you hit the defrost button - the button that turns on rear window / mirror heating.

Theories should be easy to test with IR-camera: Only need car parked over night ("cold" car), and sufficiently cold outdoor temperature. Then you can check all theories A, B and C (in that order). Don't think you need freezing weather - ref. your latest video.

Keep posting great vids! Thnx

Thank's (k)man! :):):)

After watching your video, I did some research and found that Tesla most likely uses these Bosch MRR units with radome heating. I suspect there are some heating wires behind the weatherproof enclosure that protects the antenna.

Only question remains: What triggers the heating?

Theories:
(A) It automatically comes on when outdoor temp. reaches x F*/C*, independent of car status (ON/OFF), like the heated windshield area directly above/behind windshield wipers (for cold weather package option).
(B) It automatically comes on when outdoor temp. reaches x F*/C*, but only if car is ON.
(C) It only comes on if you hit the defrost button - the button that turns on rear window / mirror heating.

Theories should be easy to test with IR-camera: Only need car parked over night ("cold" car), and sufficiently cold outdoor temperature. Then you can check all theories A, B and C (in that order). Don't think you need freezing weather - ref. your latest video.

Keep posting great vids! Thnx
I can already tell you it's not (C), I will look into the other two. It's warm today, Once the sun goes down (So My Thermal doesn't get stray IR/heat) I'll check it out. Can I use your findings (Link) in a upcoming video?

Believe it or not, this was the first time I EVER have gotten the Map update notification! Every so often, Tesla updates the Turn-By-Turn NAV. This is the NAV on the Dash Screen. NOT the center screen. The Center Screen is ALWAYS the latest as it loads right from Google.
According to another Tesla Owner, who had his car connected to his wireless hot spot (Which keeps track of what device uses data and how much), right before the Map Update, his Model S downloaded ~4.7 gigabytes of data. That is a LOT of data! The Classic and Autopilot 1.0 cars have about 16 gigs of on-board storage. We are not yet sure how much storage is on the AP 2.0 cars.

While I am still not a fan of most of the "Changes" in Firmware 8, how Tesla enhanced the radar, and the autopilot systems actual functionality in Firmware 8 is nothing short of AMAZING!

One big change recently, the car has been allowing me to activate Autopilot on roads that previously it would never allow me to! (Please! Don't attempt these tests! They can be dangerous!)

Lately, I have also been seeing a increase in confidence, and the vehicle has become able to navigate much more "Intense" roads (Think, winding roads, where the camera cannot see the lines ahead as far). Many roads which the car would force me to take over, it now travels with little or no issues! Roads it would not allow me to activate at all, it's allowing not only autopilot activation, but also navigating perfectly!

My conclusion, in the manor in which this "Revelation" the ability the car had, was almost like a light switch being flipped. What I would need to say is, it really appears Tesla flipped the giant master switch on the Autopilot's Deep Learning AI, and now the cars are beginning to make use of the Millions upon Millions of accumulated fleet learning. Both active and passive!

I also conclude it's not a fluke, as these are roads I travel down daily. Despite standard Autopilot 1.0 not being "designed" for surface streets, I have always pushed the limits of Tesla's Tech, see where the borders are, and I can assure you, with no changes to these roads, I am seeing these major changes now!

In the video, the car uses what it CAN see to keep a lane lock, which in this case, it shows a positive lock on the curb for short periods of time. Though, it looses this frequently. Even with the snow covering much of the curb, between what it CAN see of the road, along with intermittent input of the Ultrasonic Sensors (And of course, the radar, though we don't know what the radar sees in this scenario due to lack of system feedback) it was able to keep us going with enough confidence that it didn't think I needed to take over. Some parts it did get a bit shaky, especially with oncoming traffic blinking the Autopilot camera intermittently, but it kept going.

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks

Previously (Dec 8th, 2013 ) I tested my old Single Motor RWD MS60 on a slick parking lot, seeing what the Traction Control would do. It was fun! With Traction Control on, it was fairly solid, with it off, I was all over the place!
Fast Forward 3 years 4 days, and I am now testing my 4wd 90D Model S in similar slickness in a parking lot. All I can say is, WOW. My old RWD Model S did as good as my 4x4 truck, my 4wd 90D...... If I had snow tires instead of All Seasons, this thing would be almost unstoppable! Though with Traction control off (Slip Start Enabled), Drifting my Tesla Model S 90D was FUN! ;-)

Test from 2013 in my old MS60 RWD