Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I already talked about the Billing Trickery the Utility is doing in order to payout less money for over-production of solar/charge more for over-usage. That is in
which I recommend watching first.
In this video, we take a look at my bill, and how my charging habits have changed due to 1: Solar Charging, and 2: Trickery of the Utility.
So lets discuss what changes I've made.

Special Factory Tour & Model 3 Production Preview June 2nd!
1: Upgrade Software Limited Car
2: Model S Price Cuts
3: Next Gen Roadster will be convertible
4: Hazardous Materials Spill at Gigafactory
5: 100D's and 100DL's Price Increases
6: GM Exec Butt-Hurt over Tesla's Value
7: Union Pressure, Might be downfall?
8: Irish Showrooms?
9: Recall on Parking Brakes
10: App Update to monitor Powerwalls
11: MASSIVE Supercharger Network Expansion Coming!
12: Tesla Autopilot VP David Nister moving to Nvidia
13: Tesla Reworking Authorized Body-shop Program
14: Model X now upgrade-able 60 to 75
15: Snoop Dogg gets Model X
16: Elon Meets with Chinese Vice Premiere
17: First Sneek Peeks of Tesla Semi

Spring 2017 marks yet another coming of Automotion, one of the BIGGEST car shows in North America! Anything and EVERYTHING you can imagine is at this show and in this city (The "SHOW" is officially at the Noah's Ark Water park parking lot, however, it has grown so big, basically any public (and non public) road, street and parking lot has become part of the show.
This year, Kman is inviting others who want to cruse around and have a bit of fun, and look at all the beautiful cars ranging in age from over 100 years old to present! Not to be confused with Kman's Annual BBQ.
If your interested in having some fun at Automotion 2017 in the Wisconsin Dells, Please let me know!

-Where will we meet up: At the Sandrift Resort. Sandrift has 80amp HPWC's available, and some 240v outlets.

-Whats a good place to stay: Once again, Sandrift. www.SandriftResort.com They usually book-out every car show, so if your interested in staying, make a reservation NOW.

-What exactly is Automotion?: The official web page is Automotion: ClassicCar Show in Wisconsin Dells | WisDells
Though Automotion has grown into much more then just the Water Park parking lot. It now encompass just about ALL of the Village of Lake Delton and City of Wisconsin Dells! It is HUGE!!!!!!!! Over 1,200 Classic vehicles ranging from "As old as your Great Great Grandfather" to End of the 80's. Thats just whats at the Official Show. Mini-Events, Drag Races, burnout contests, parades, mini "shows" and MUCH MUCH more in every parking lot and every space that could potentially occupy a Vehicle!

Dates are May 20th and 21st.

P.S. The buzzing noise you may hear as you exit the freeway are just the Ricers. Don't mind them. They are easy to Swat Away.

All's Welcome! To Kman's Annual EV BBQ!
Where:
1080 E Hiawatha Drive
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53129

Itinerary:
1: Mauston Supercharger Meetup 11AM Working out free or discounted foods from the Culivers Restaurant where the Supercharger is Located.
2: Scenic Country Drive
3: Private Train Ride at www.DellsTrain.com driven by the Kman (Ride is No Charge, however the R&GN Railroad welcomes donations for the ride. Normally ticket prices are $12 for adults).
4: Drive over to the Sandrift Resort www.SandriftResort.com for BBQ, Beach, Boats, Volleyball, Ping Pong, EV Discussion (And hopefully Live Stream) and General Comradely! (HPWC, 240v Outlets, 120v Outlets available as necessary)
5: Evening Campfire for those staying late or overnight.

6: For those staying overnight, we're planning on going to Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty for Breakfast.

Please RSVP if you can. If you RSVP, PLEASE SHOW UP! We had over 30 RSVP's for last year that DID NOT SHOW! At least let me know if you can't make it.
Contact me at 414-807-8354 or [email protected] to RSVP

Holding steady at 278 rated miles. I've had Killer-Watt (My 90D) down to just a few miles, and then back up to Full a few times over the last week. Lots of Driving :) The balance of the pack is exceptionally good, at ~5-7 mV. Temps are warming up outside and a toasty battery pack.
I've driven down to basically empty enough and then back to 100% where the car should have calculated out the total capacity (Or more precisely, calculated the total capacity of the pack more accurately).
If it drops to 274 rated even with the warmer weather, I'd need to conclude something is not right with the pack. That would equal a 20 mile Rated Range loss in 1 year and less then 32,000 miles of driving.
While different chemistry, this nowhere near mirrors what my first Model S battery was at after so many miles and MUCH MORE supercharging, and drains, and cycles then my 90D has. My old MS60 was abused in comparison to my 90D's battery (No, I didn't abuse it, but my 90D's treated like a baby, where as my old MS60 was pushed beyond it's limits so so many times).
Now add in the new news, about Tesla purposely limiting supercharging speeds after you DC Fast Charge XXX number of times, but they are only doing it on the NEW CHEMISTRY batteries, not the old Chemistry (Old Chem is the ORIGINAL 40's 60's and 85's)

Sorry, for some reason, and Not sure why yet, but the Chart did not appear in video. I had it in the editing screen.... Somehow, the Kman logo layer showed up on top of the Chart, despite it supposing to be the other way around. Either way, I missed it when I previewed the video. See my facebook page for the 31,000 mile chart. https://www.Facebook.com/KmanAuto and don't forget to subscribe while your over there.

Now add in the new news, about Tesla purposely limiting supercharging speeds after you DC Fast Charge XXX number of times, but they are only doing it on the NEW CHEMISTRY batteries, not the old Chemistry (Old Chem is the ORIGINAL 40's 60's and 85's)
So what is the estimated number of times you supercharged.
What does your max kW rate look like and any charts showing the taper? Example of my P90D X: If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

What does your max kW rate look like and any charts showing the taper? Example of my P90D X: If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging
Max kW is 94. I can hold a 90+ kW charge rate until about 60% SOC depending on how hot the battery is.
I estimate I've supercharged ~154 times, not including CHAdeMO Charges. Saw the first BIG charge rate drop instantly when updating from Firmware 7.xx to initial Firmware 8 release.

In comparison, I estimate I've supercharged my original MS60 ~400 times not including CHAdeMO Charges in the 3 years and 80,000+ miles I had that car. It was returned to Tesla with the same range as I had received it.

When I first got the car, I think i had seen a Maximum of ~104 or 105kW charge rate and ONE TIME around 110. A firmware update knocked that down in the 90's some time shortly after getting the car and only 5-10 supercharges. A later update of Firmware 7, around May, brought my charge rates back up to ~100. Firmware 8 Killed charge rates badly. And I'll say, it adds MUCH MORE then 5 minutes per supercharger session.

When I first got the car, I think i had seen a Maximum of ~104 or 105kW charge rate and ONE TIME around 110. A firmware update knocked that down in the 90's some time shortly after getting the car and only 5-10 supercharges. A later update of Firmware 7, around May, brought my charge rates back up to ~100. Firmware 8 Killed charge rates badly. And I'll say, it adds MUCH MORE then 5 minutes per supercharger session.
Curious. From my post you can see that mine didn't change between 7 and 8. When you say much more than 5 minutes ... what SOC are you typically charging to?

Curious. From my post you can see that mine didn't change between 7 and 8. When you say much more than 5 minutes ... what SOC are you typically charging to?
That would depend on what I'm doing. I'd say ~70 or 80% SOC. When I tow my camper cross country, I need a Minimum of 95-100% soc. And that was before the rated range drop. Thankfully, Tesla is doubling the chargers on my route, so I will be able to cut time down in that by not needing to charge to such High SOC.

Here are some charge time examples.
First Video shows Original Chemistry 60 and 85 packs.
Second Video Shows my 90D when it was newer, maybe a month old, not delivery firmware though. I don't have one when it was sped up, but I sure as heck will make one with the restricted charge speeds though.

I've mentioned it in the past though, my 90D can maintain a high charge rate longer then the original Chemistry 60 & 85. Which is good for fill ups to Higher SOC's, but for shorter charging stops, those stops will take longer due to lower peak rate.

One other thing I will note, unlike my old MS60, and NUMEROUS MS85's i've had as loaners, the Active Cooling, does not appear to be able to keep up as well with the 90d's charging. It doesn't ramp up as quickly, nor seem to have the cooling power my original car did. Likewise, my old MS60's AC could freeze me out of the car quickly and with no problem, where as my 90D, and the other Autopilot hardware based cars I've had as loaners, were much more lethargic in the Cooling realm. Might I also say, less noisy as well. I also have a theory they either reduced the compressor size or are not running it at as high of a RPM to reduce the "Jet engine" take off noise. For general use, this shouldn't be a issue. Still gets cold as heck, but takes longer.
Just speculation and theory based on wayyy too many hours and miles in my Model S's.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Will be filming tonight, another recording from 10-80%. I will then do a side by side. The one above was when the car was practically new. As you can see the 114kW charge rate. Now I'm limited to 94kW charge rate. Thats a 20kW drop.
However, the car can maintain the 90kW rate through 60% SOC, where as the rate drops much sooner in the video above.

What will this mean? This means that for quick stops, Sub 50% SOC charges, the time to completion now is considerably slower then it was originally on the new Chemistry. However, time to 100% (Revising my theories and findings as I review dozens of my old videos, I have over 15 Terrabytes of Videos I've filmed on my PC, running out of space, I need to upgrade my 30TB Array to 60 or larger...) Time to 100% will vary only slightly. Will test it and compare tonight.

STAY TUNED!

Reactions: scottf200
Will be filming tonight, another recording from 10-80%. I will then do a side by side. The one above was when the car was practically new. As you can see the 114kW charge rate. Now I'm limited to 94kW charge rate. Thats a 20kW drop.
However, the car can maintain the 90kW rate through 60% SOC, where as the rate drops much sooner in the video above.
This will be a little hard for most to visualize without a chart comparing the two. ie. kW rate at SOC 10%-80%

1: Musk Released Boring Company and Videos
2: Model 3's EVERYWHERE!
3: Klaus Grohmann VS Elon Musk
4: Model 3 Spotted on Fremont Track
5: Consumer Reports OTA Update a No GO
6: Solar roofs available 2017
7: Ahuja Deepak returns to Tesla
8: Stock Sorters out a ton of $$$
9: Major Semi Manufacturers Downgraded
10: Model 3 July Production
11: Tesla Semi's to use Model 3 parts
12: Model Y maybe 2019
13: Model X 12 Passenger
14: Gigafactory adding another section
15: Tesla Builds own MobileEye in 6 months
16: AP2.0 Speed increase
17: Supercharger Rates Reduced
18: New Easter Egg menu
19: Dual Steering Wheel Model 3 Spotted
20: Model 3 Reservations Climb

This is the fourth of Such Tests. Same road with similar road and weather conditions to attempt to recreate the same test. Test 1 was using Firmware 7.x, Test 2 was using initial Firmware 8 release, Test 3 was using Firmware 8 Final Release (Pre 8.1), and this, Test 4 is using Firmware 8.1 Initial Release.

KEEP IN MIND! This is a WORST CASE SCENARIO ROAD! Autopilot 1.0 was NOT DESIGNED FOR THIS! However, as it pushes it's capability to it's limits, it shows us how it can handle each situation, and where it's failure points are, and the changes in those failure points as Tesla Motors Changes and modifies the systems.

I will be making a 4 way split screen to show all 4 tests at the same time. Unfortunately, for the first two tests, I was unable to record the dash at the same time. I do have both the drive + dash in Final 8.0 and Initial 8.1 releases though and will have the dash in all future tests.

Findings, 8.1 was similar to Final 8.0. All 8.x Versions were worse then Firmware 7.x tests, with the vehicle requiring more driver intervention, and poorer job in general keeping in the lines.

Though, 7.x took longer to re-acquire lines after they were visually lost.

Observations:
I found Firmware 7.x, ALL 7.x Firmware that is, was the best
for autopilot keeping in the lines, maintaining lines, and curves.
7.x Also had less "ping pong" effect wondering back and fourth
between the lines.
Sadly, ALL the 8.x Firmware's behaved about the same in this
test. Almost no difference between them. In fact, ALL 8.x
versions are a regression of 7.x where 7.x had the above
strength.
All 8.x's required more driver intervention, and did a overall
poorer job of keeping in the lines. My personal Opinion, is that
Tesla's shift to relying on Radar more with the 8.x's, they are
not using all available data from the camera as they once were.
This is a sad regression, and real world autopilot use mirrors
this. The major Advantage of 8.x though, is accident avoidance
and pedestrian detection, which 7.x's lacked (See Trying to Kill Mike Videos).

Did the best I could to show the sound of the Vacuum Pump, however, electrical feedback from the car masked the sound out.
Classic Model S (Non-Autopilot Hardware) is not mechanically capable of infinite Hill Hold, why? Simple, instead of Electronically Actuated brakes (Electromechanical) the Classic S's have traditional Brake Booster and Vacuum Pump. As the Classic Model S vehicles were not originally designed for Hill Hold, it's amazing that over the air updates allowed us to get any kind of Hill Hold at all, even if only lasts 1-3 seconds.
How it works? When you press the brake on the Classic S, the Vacuum assisted brakes will continue to hold. As this is happening, the Vacuum pump is working to keep the vacuum in the break booster, however, it is not a high enough volume pump to keep up with the Demand. As the Booster looses it's vacuum (And in turn, it's holding power), the Limited Hill Hold will release allowing the car to start rolling again.
Use of Creep Mode can assist in prolonging the Hill Hold feature as well.

It went lower! Weather is warming, had 80*F + Days, and range is still dropping. Talked with Tesla, they remotely logged into the car, and claim that my range is normal with others with the same battery and mileage. Was this a Indirect way of saying the new Chemistry cells have issues? First the Supercharging Speed limitation which is not present on the old Chem batteries (First Gen 60's and the 85's), and now range that is dropping significantly, and even after restarting the supercharge 5 or 6 times, and letting it go longer, the car wouldn't charge the pack over 99.7%. Battery temps are up, so no thermal reason for the low numbers. Arrived at the supercharger with about 6 rated miles left, so should have helped with the Calibration.
Onward to the next mile mark!

THANKS Everyone for sharing Questions So Far. Tesla is limiting the number of questions now to 5!!! Must be too many people with big lists. So before the cut off time, I will choose the 5 best questions to submit. Tomorrow, I will go through and answer the questions for you all that I already know the answers to! We will NOT be able to bring cameras or use any recording devices, accept pen and paper. So I will be writing what I can, and then we will live stream after the event to cover what was said.

Reactions: SmartElectric

1: Layer3 to get 100 Model X's
2: Gigafactory 2 to begin solar production
3: Unlimited Supercharging Back
4: Tesla Autopilot Manager Moves to Audi
5: High Volume Supercharger Expansions
6: AP 2.0 Smooth As Silk Update
7: Ford CEO Fired
8: Ireland Showroom Open, EXTREME Demand
9: Model 3 Autopilot same as S and X (AP2.0)
10: Consumer Reports raises Tesla Rank
11: Tesla Pumps $216 Million into Model 3 battery Line
12: Model 3 with roof rack spotted
13: Sig Red Model 3 Spotted
14: Tesla releasing more Model 3 options
15: Model S arrives in Vietnam. Good Luck!
16: Model 3 Gets Floating Screen
17: Sanford Researcher says Autopilot is a Bike Killer!
ON OUR WAY TO TESLA FACTORY!