Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it amazing your 100% is only a tad more than my 90%. My 90% yesterday was 270 miles, though 268 is the most common.

The rated range did go up with the refresh. I'm also lucky to get 298 max range rather than the advertised 294.

Question about your vids: do you have any idea why the 60kWh is so surprisingly slow on CHAdeMO? Is it perhaps lower voltage than the 85kWh? That's the only explanation that I can think of that makes sense to me. It can't be cooling or max amps since it can supercharge much faster than that.

Would be really interesting to know whether the same applies to M3 SR vs. LR.

Question about your vids: do you have any idea why the 60kWh is so surprisingly slow on CHAdeMO? Is it perhaps lower voltage than the 85kWh? That's the only explanation that I can think of that makes sense to me. It can't be cooling or max amps since it can supercharge much faster than that.

Would be really interesting to know whether the same applies to M3 SR vs. LR.
Yes, the 60kWh battery had a lower voltage. 356 if I remember correctly??? It's been a Long... While....
Since the lower voltage, the CHAdeMO station hits it's amperage limit before it's kW charge rate limit. The Leaf uses a higher voltage battery, which is why it can charge faster, as does the 85, 90 and 100kWh batteries have a max voltage of 403-404v.

"Average system voltage" on the M3 LR according to the EPA testing was 351V. So hopefully that means it'll behave more like a S85/90/100 than a S60. And according to the recent battery reveal, there's the same number of bricks on both the SR and LR packs, so they should be the same voltage.

Here's to hoping...

"Average system voltage" on the M3 LR according to the EPA testing was 351V. So hopefully that means it'll behave more like a S85/90/100 than a S60. And according to the recent battery reveal, there's the same number of bricks on both the SR and LR packs, so they should be the same voltage.

Here's to hoping...
Hopefully.

Personally, especially for the performance Tesla is pulling out of all these cars, they should have had a pack voltage of around 600v-900v. A bit more engineering for initial design, but in the long run, better range, more efficient operation, faster charging, thinner charging cables for superchargers (And cooler operating), and the list goes on. Even could have longer cell life due to lower resistance.

Hopefully.

Personally, especially for the performance Tesla is pulling out of all these cars, they should have had a pack voltage of around 600v-900v. A bit more engineering for initial design, but in the long run, better range, more efficient operation, faster charging, thinner charging cables for superchargers (And cooler operating), and the list goes on. Even could have longer cell life due to lower resistance.

Higher voltages mean less redundancy within the pack / fewer routes for current to route around bad cells. They mean (obviously) more insulation. They'll have implications for the motor and inverter, although I don't know enough about their architecture to say what those will be. If they have to use a lower winding density to avoid arcing, then that's a Bad Thing(TM).

Installing and organizing my trunk with the EVAnnex Trunk Organizer for Tesla Model S Vehicles! Great product to keep the trunk well organized and keep all your items from rolling and rocking everywhere during your Tesla style Joy-Rides!
If your interested in purchasing the Trunk Organizer, Please visit:
Trunk Organizer for Tesla Model S
See bottom of description box for specific details on the Trunk Organizer provided by EVAnnex.

Reactions: SmartElectric

Last year I recorded how much I used between superchargers towing a trailer. This year, I recorded the whole trip to break down the costs of power. I also discuss how much energy used, degradation of my battery pack, the effects of Wind Drag on range, reduced charging speeds at superchargers.

Yes, the 60kWh battery had a lower voltage. 356 if I remember correctly??? It's been a Long... While....
Since the lower voltage, the CHAdeMO station hits it's amperage limit before it's kW charge rate limit. The Leaf uses a higher voltage battery, which is why it can charge faster, as does the 85, 90 and 100kWh batteries have a max voltage of 403-404v.

On the Model S and X, each module is about 25V. The small packs have 14 modules = 350V and the large packs 16 modules = 400V. That's the nominal rating, the actual voltage varies a bit with charge level.

Hopefully.

It would make a difference DC fast charging and the cables at superchargers could be thinner as I^2R loss would be less. However, I don't think it would affect the range any, the KWH would be the same and the voltage to the motors would be the same because the DC is still converted to AC going to the motors.

I don't think it would affect cell life either. The environment the individual cells is subjected to would be pretty much the same (same voltages charging, and same current loads). Just the voltage and current of the aggregate would be different.

Reactions: islandbayy

Milwaukee County, in Wisconsin, is Finally getting served. As a very busy thoroughfare, especially for Green Bay Packers Football games (and x3 when we're beating the Chicago Bears yet again), this will be a high usage location, also for Tesla vehicles to make it to the Madison and Sheboygan superchargers in winter.
The supercharger is located in the rear of the Drexel Towne Square's Meijer Grocery Store, This perfect location (in terms of surroundings, personally, it would have been better by Southridge Mall) due to the route most Tesla drivers take through Wisconsin, and the closer proximity to the freeway), is surrounded by a virtually endless supply of Restaurants, as well as a 24/7 grocery store (Great for Potty Brakes). The location is also strategically placed next to a giant High End condo development (Most likely in hopes that condo owners will purchase Teslas!)

Tesla has it's solution for Apartment & Condo dwellers, and those who have no off-street place to charge their Electric Vehicle; and that solution is the Urban Supercharger!
These Urban Superchargers, are/will be placed in more densely populated areas, where less people have options to charge at home. These stations are also not meant for long distance travelers (Though, they can use them) like the main Long Distance supercharger network is.
While not as powerful as a full size supercharger, it does offer something a bit different. The Urban superchargers use the same Supercharging cabinets as their "Big Brothers", however, instead of sharing output power (Whoever plugs in first on a shared cabinet gets the majority of the power until the charge tapers), these stations have dedicated 74kW charge rate to each station (Officially 72kW rate, though in charge tests today, I saw sustained speeds of 74). While they don't have the peak output that the long distance stations have (Up to 118kW rate is the current maximum), the lower, but sustained rate can charge a Tesla battery from 0-100% in virtually the same length of time.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

Since the Model S's first release back in 2012, it's been a commonly asked question. When am I going to get that next software or firmware update.
After about a year of watching my Model S's behavior, I've discovered with about 90% certainty, to tell 1-5 days in advance when my vehicle is preparing to download a new software or firmware version. Unfortunately, this applies only to Autopilot 1.0 Model S or X vehicles, I have not been able to confirm this on AP2 and will not work on AP0.
Hopefully, a owner with AP2 will be able to confirm this as well, as I'd need one for a extended length of time to confirm it myself.

I have another data point that may or may not mean anything. I was on the far side of Portland Wednesday and I only go there a couple of times a year. As we were navigating a freeway interchanged, the center console crashed and rebooted. I have the map display and radio on the screen most of the time and those were up.

It has crashed once before, oddly in almost the exact same place on the same highway about a year ago. That time I happened to be going to the service center later the same day and when they checked the logs they said the center console ran out of memory.

I don't know why it crashed on Wednesday. I just double checked and no update yet. I haven't used autopilot in a while, but the car has had no problem seeing lines on the road (when they're there). If there is an update in the next few days, that may be semi-validation of your theory.

I have another data point that may or may not mean anything. I was on the far side of Portland Wednesday and I only go there a couple of times a year. As we were navigating a freeway interchanged, the center console crashed and rebooted. I have the map display and radio on the screen most of the time and those were up.

It has crashed once before, oddly in almost the exact same place on the same highway about a year ago. That time I happened to be going to the service center later the same day and when they checked the logs they said the center console ran out of memory.

I don't know why it crashed on Wednesday. I just double checked and no update yet. I haven't used autopilot in a while, but the car has had no problem seeing lines on the road (when they're there). If there is an update in the next few days, that may be semi-validation of your theory.
Interesting to know! The only while driving crash I've had in a while is my yearly cross country road trip. It will usually crash and reboot after about 1 1/2 days of non-stop (No shutdown) driving.