Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ever arrive at a Supercharger, only to find the plug won't go into the charge port? This can be detrimental if it's a location with only a couple superchargers, or maybe an HPWC ( High Powered Wall Charger ) at a Destination charging location. It "Could" potentially leave you stranded or scrambling to find another station within your remaining range.
If you're in the south, this may not apply as much to you. If your in the North, where slush, snow, ice are a way of life part of the year, you may have already experienced this.

As a follow-up, after the "Polar Vortex" in Feb 2019, where we got -22 to -32 *F in my part of Wisconsin (the warmer part...) The Oak Creek charging station at one point had 8, yes 8!!! out of 10 stalls frozen and unable to be plugged into the cars. Thankfully, yours truly was ready and cleaned out those 8 plugs and helped the growing queue of frozen Model 3's (No battery heaters in Model 3's) attempt to get some very much needed electrons.

And I don't think I mentioned it in the video, however, another way the plugs can really get packed with ice. When charging, the plug end can heat up quite a bit, even in Arctic temperatures. If that plug is dropped into the snow or snowed on right after being unplugged, what gets in it will melt. Following that, Freeze (The plugs cool within a minute or so after being unplugged). Once that water freezes, that's it. Done.

This initial video shows how to clean it. I will be putting together another video, talking about what every Tesla owner should carry with them along with the UMC. Basically, a Tesla Tool Kit.
Things are about to get busy though, I have a little girl due within the next 1-2 ish weeks.
In the meantime, here are links discussed in the video:

12v Hair Dryer 150w (Compatible): To Not break forum rules, if interested in the links, please visit the youtube watch page for this video.
12v Hair Dryer 180w (May blow Fuse): To Not break forum rules, if interested in the links, please visit the youtube watch page for this video.
12v Car Window Defroster 150w (Air not Direct as dryer): To Not break forum rules, if interested in the links, please visit the youtube watch page for this video.

For those wondering, it IS safe to plug in a wet charge cable!

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

Recently, some new hardware has been accompanying new, and also retrofitted onto existing Superchargers. As most supercharger cabinets and equipment (other than the stalls) are fenced off, it's generally hard to get a good look. This new location in Cincinnati had not yet had its fence built, so I went "Exploring".

Manufacturer is Control Transformer | Custom Transformers | Line Chokes | Reactors | Inductors

Question: What is an AutoTransformer?

Answer: An autotransformer has its primary and secondary connected to each other electrically. A portion of the energy in an autotransformer comes from this connection while the balance comes directly from the supply. Building inspectors often object to autotransformers because they do not isolate one circuit from the other. One ground may be at a considerably higher voltage than the ground in another section of the same circuit. Local inspectors and utility companies should be consulted before installing autotransformers. Where the use of autotransformers is not objectionable, they do represent a considerable saving in price over that of a regular separate winding transformer. This saving varies as the ratio of windings changes. After the ratio of windings reaches approximately 4:1 or 5:1, there is very little economy in using an autotransformer. Autotransformers are most practical where a small percentage of voltage raising or lowering is required and isolation between the two circuits is not required. Autotransformers can be single phase or three phase. In neither case is any isolation provided.

• Informative

Let me start off by apologizing. This video was intended to be paired with the Dash Cam footage. The Dash Cam footage got corrupted while transferring it off the memory card due to a faulty Micro SD card reader :-(
This would have been a really cool video :-( Even then, it is still cool to watch! You can watch the nav on the left, to get an idea of how sharp the road is. The drive includes a winding road next to a river, SHARP turns, and even a Tunnel! Unfortunately, we were also heading home and were not able to do a re-do :-( NEXT YEAR!!!
For those interested, here is a link to Google Maps so show the specific section of road.
Google Maps

With the recent Model X purchase, I was driving back to Milwaukee, WI from Boston, MA. One of my supercharging stops, was Buffalo, NY. A very much welcomed supercharger, that would have also come in handy in 2014 ;-)
At the Buffalo NY supercharger though, a good old friend was waiting for me. John, who is also a Niagara Falls historian and doubled as my tour guide in 2014. It was great to see him! It has been too long since we were able to catch up. It finally gave me an opportunity to see his Model 3.

For those interested, you can take a look at one of my OLD Tesla videos, the Niagara Falls Road Trip. This trip was done on the original, coast to coast supercharger build. The coast to coast was newly opened, and boy was it an experience!

Located at China, Beijing, Chaoyang, Jianguo Rd, China Central Place No.77 Google Maps
I can recommend the JW Marriot Hotel directly behind the Mall.

Nice little store, 20+ superchargers, and word has it more are being installed.

Related China Videos:
First Seen in my China Electric Adventure in 2016:

Exploring JW Marriot Parking Structure for EV's:

Beijing Parkview Green Mall Tesla Store:

Tesla Special Chinese Charge Port:

Worlds Largest Tesla Store (At the time) Chengdu CN: Tesla Motors: Visiting Tesla China! Worlds Largest Tesla Store! 4k UltraHD

• Informative
Tesla Firmware 9.0 V 2019.8.4 April 4, 2019 AP2.x
----------------------
Vehicle 2016 AP2 Model X
1: Autosteer Stop Light Warning
2: Dog Mode
3: Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime
4: Overall AP2.x Functionality Reliability.
5: Auto Folding Mirrors
6: HVAC Control/Cold Weather Package control redesign

HVAC Control Bugs.

First test with Nav by Autopilot. This firmware version requires lane change confirmations.

I have now, just a few days later gotten the new firmware 2019.12 that has Autopilot on Navigation WITHOUT Confirmation. I did the same route shown in this video only with commentary. It was quite a different experience. Please watch both to compare. Both had strengths and weaknesses. It's a good start but needs more work, of course.

35 Minutes of REAL WORLD Nav by Autopilot WITHOUT Driver Confirmation Including Commentary the whole drive.

Come with me as I go in a 35-minute drive, giving Nav by Autopilot WITHOUT Driver Confirmation a good run-through, test in traffic, a few exits, nav to a few addresses (To get to a specific exit), and even Nav by Autopilot straight into the Milwaukee Airport!!! It's an interesting one highlighting the systems Strengths and Weaknesses and where it could use improvement in Tesla's quest to full Autonomous.

Either way, Very Impressive, and a huge leap towards FSD. Hopefully, Tesla can take the data collected and continue to make great strides! I am very excited about this feature and can't wait until the next Firmware Update & Release!!!
Test was done on Firmware V9.0 Release 2019.12

• Informative

This was an Excellent update. Mainly, it included Nav on Autopilot WITHOUT lane change Confirmation.
Vehicle: 2016 Model X AP2.0
1: Navigate on Autopilot without Confirmation
2: Software Update Menu (NEW!!!)
3: TeslaAtri update (New Games)
4: Sentry Mode
5: Additional Language Support
6: Autosteer stop light warning
Previous Release Notes:
7: Dog Mode

Living in a State or Territory of the USA that does not have a Tesla presence can be challenging in some aspects (Mostly in the service aspect of things). Registration is also one of those aspects, HOWEVER, it doesn't need to be challenging! It's actually much simpler than most realize.
You will in most cases, be BETTER OFF Declining to have Tesla mail your paperwork to your DMV than giving you the Title/Certificate of Origin and registering yourself either via mail or stopping in at your local DMV.

Tesla Autonomy Day was NUTS! Spent the better part of 3 hrs and 45 minutes with my jaw hanging open. The impressive new chip, impressive software, impressive, well, EVERYTHING!
So this is my take on what was said on Tesla's Autonomy Day.

A side effect of the filming of this video, I actually get to show how HD Maps will be Ineffective, proving Elon's point. For right now, the Nav by Autopilot relies on accurate maps for the turn by turn of navigation. That is, until the software is refined and can read the road signs. Currently, an interchange I drove through, has gone through many changes and basically brand new and recently fully opened end of 2018. The maps are not quite up to date, and nav by autopilot (Without Confirmation) was sure fighting to be in the WRONG LANE.

Testing AP1 and AP2.X (Full Self Drive hardware) on a worst case road for navigating visually. We'll just say, the progression in hardware & technology is nothing short of AMAZING! Especially with what Tesla has just accomplished using VISUAL systems!

Background and detail. I have chosen these two specific roads, as they provide constant elevation changes, sharp turns, blind turns, and even loss of lane lines.

This is Video 1 of the Mini-Series.
Video 1 shows side by side Autopilot 1 hardware VS Autopilot 2.x hardware. As you can see, Autopilot 1 struggles constantly on this drive, and I can assure you, it used to be WORSE on this road. I have previous tests with AP1 (See links below).
On this test, AP2.x absolutely NAILS IT! Successfully navigated the test roads. One spot I did take over in the interest of safety. As an oncoming car had just pulled out, and from previously driving this road with AP2, I already knew the Model X would successfully take the curve, though deviate from lane by about 6 inches. If no on-coming car, I would have let it complete the curve.

In the end, it was impressive to say the least. The 3 forward facing cameras on the Model X trumped the Model S's single camera. The forward side facing cameras viewed the curves and were able to keep it in it's lane. I will mention, SONAR did play a mild role in the navigation of these roads, more so in AP1, and limited on AP2. The sonar on the passenger's side, is used by the vehicle in these situations to keep tabs on the curb distance from the vehicle, helping keep the vehicle from skimming the curbs.

As an example of sleet learning, with AP1, as I've had that vehicle since 2016 and take this road often, at time stamp in the video of 5 minutes, Until summer 2018, AP1 would skim the curb. Over time, with driver input (correction), AP1 no longer actually hits the curb. It still wonders too close for comfort. AP2 has no problems visually seeing the curb and maintains it's line properly in the same spot.

Series Video 2, 3 and 4 (Weather Dependent Videos) will be a side by side comparison between
Video 2: AP2.x during the Day (As shown in this video), and Night.
Video 3: AP2.x During the Day (As shown in this video), and Rain.
Video 4: AP2.x During the Day (As shown in this video), and Fog
Video 5: AP2.x During the Day (As shown in this video), and Snow

Previous AP1 tests:
Firmware 8.1 --- Initial Release
Firmware 8 --- Just before 8.1 Release
Firmware 8 --- Initial Release
Firmware 7 ---