TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Knight Rider LED?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hrbmd22, Sep 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hrbmd22

hrbmd22 Member

I've been adding extra LEDs in the Frunk and the trunk for extra lighting. I also added floor lights (LEDs) front and rear.

I've been toying with the idea of installing a Knight Rider LED kit into the front grill. Has anybody done this yet?

thanks!

Howard near Memphis

2. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

No. NO. NOOOOOO!!!!! Also, illegal in most jurisdictions.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

lol I had the same project idea. Go ahead and be the guinea pig and let me know how it goes! haha

4. hrbmd22

hrbmd22 Member

I never thought about that. Why would it be illegal. Some car companies had something similar in their rear directional blinkers.

Thanks for the reply, NoMoGas!

- - - Updated - - -

So yobigd20... how far did you get with your project?

5. liuping

liuping Active Member

I think it because if you see it in your rearview mirror, it looks like a police light bar coming towards you.

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Depends how you use it. It is definitely illegal to use while driving, but I've seen cars with those lights set up when the car is parked (usually hooked up as an alarm indicator) and they're kinda cool.

7. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

In most jurisdictions it is illegal to have red lights, or moving, alternating or oscillating lights of any kind facing forward. This includes when parked on a public street. Just equipping the vehicle to do it is illegal, a traffic ticket but still illegal (unless you get a hard ass cop who wants to impound it).

How do I know? Well I actually owned an old KR car and restored it... CHP kept it on the side of the road while they wrote $1500.00 in tickets. And the light wasn't even on.
    Red lights facing rear is ok.

8. sickfox

sickfox Member

where exactly would you put it? below the T sign?

personally, i wouldn't do it. keep us posted and post pictures. who knows, it might look good. :wink:

9. invisik

invisik Member

I think the green lights on the accelerator pedal would be a great addition to the car.

Have you tapped into the ambient lighting circuit at all? I'm trying to locate it still to put a light in for the center console.